A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Marbleminer

Marbleminer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just did them on my GSA a couple of days ago. Doable but not on street tires.

Marble
  2. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just did them yesterday. These crossings are really not that bad, guys. I met a few riders along the way that were kind of fretting over them too. The first few are really straightforward w/maybe 6 inches of depth at the most -- it's only the last one that was a little tricky, because it has bigger, loose rocks on the bottom and it's a little deeper (hub depth). But I didn't get off to recon first, as I should've, and just blasted through foolishly. If you scout a path through and go slowly you'll be fine.
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I think the key to these crossings is to evaluate the conditions when you get there. If you don't like it, just turn around. Sometimes it isn't worth the risk of one person dropping the bike in the water and all the messing around that will require versus backing out and going around.

When we went through it was slippery but the current was slow.

When a friend of mine's group went through (Big Dog), they had different conditions like more current, had a mishap, and then camped overnight waiting for the water to back down a bit before crossing back out again. Take a look starting at about 8:30 (taken from YouTube/Big Dog's report).

wilfred, Marco Moto, sick_boy and 3 others like this.
  4. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    good point indeed -- those Spring conditions in the video look pretty gnarly. i think it would take quite a bit of rain to get them from where they are now back to that point.
  5. wadethewanderer

wadethewanderer To infinity and beyond. Supporter

Oddometer:
    West of Wilmington, north of Myrtle Beach
    Hey Cannonshot, did you use the 64st for the MABDR? If so, how did you like it?
  6. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    No, I used a 276cx and a 350LM. The 64st would be fine though. I loaned my buddy a small screen GPS with a topo background (smaller than the 64 series) and he navigated the tracks with no issues.
    wilfred likes this.
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow yeah, I'd have walked that first to find a line without big rocks to hit. And I'd still have probably fallen over!

Charles.
  8. allonsye

allonsye ("lets go!")

Oddometer:
    This is a most excellent RR (as someone mentioned "gold-standard"). I live in the region and I thought I knew it pretty well; I've learned that no, I actually don't!
    Needs a bump! Great review for those planning on running this BDR! Thanks for posting it sir!
    Ajacks and Cannonshot like this.
  9. Outwardbound

Outwardbound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Myself and 6 others from the Cleveland Ohio BMW Owners Club are running the route starting Sept.9th. We're hoteling all the way, intending to run the route in 7 days. I've just spooned at set of Shinko 805's on my DR650, loaded gps tracks, and mounted the Wolfman Bags; so I'm pretty much set. Hope to see others out there!
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ll be on the trail about that time ... if
    You see a faded red KLR that’s holding you up, wait for a wider spot on the trail, I’ll pull over to let you by!

;)
    vwboomer likes this.
  11. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So I suddenly have time off from work, and my girlfriend is out of town this weekend for a dance competition, and by some lucky happenstance the vet has two open boarding slots. Rock. Sauce.

So I plan to leave Thursday from Durham NC. The problem is, I don’t have the route or know how to get it into my iPhone. It’s the only GPS I have at the moment. What app do I need? Where can I get the routes? Are there printable maps available for free or for money? How do I do this?!?

I’m stooooookkeeeeddddddd

Charles.
  12. Radioaktiv

Radioaktiv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM me and I can help.
  14. Brickflyer

Brickflyer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    exceptional RR. Thanks for all the hard work !!
    We are planning on Mid October south-north. Pumped !!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  15. Brickflyer

Oddometer:
    Charles,

We are going in Oct. I was/am a GPS noob mostly. Used for general guidance instead of trip planning, until now.
    I downloaded the Rever app. It has a direct link to BDR maps. just push a button.
    Yeah, it requires the premium paid service, but is a easy starting point. you can also put Cannon's .gpx in there.
    I bought paper maps from Butler, and saw this as an opportunity to finally buy a real Zumo instead of my current Nuvi with the baggie on it dance. got a 396 from GPScity $299. i successfully loaded basic MABDR in there and will put Cannon's on SD card too.
    Have a safe trip. write us a RR.
    Cal
    wilfred, i4bikes and bomber60015 like this.
  16. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am also starting in early October ... perhaps
    I’ll see you on the trail!
    Brickflyer likes this.
  17. Biff's R

Biff's R Hill William

Oddometer:
    Pocket Earth will work for you on the iPhone. Lots of cheap and quick GPS options in GPS 101 on here.

I used part of Canonshot’s tracks on the section of the BDR I rode in the spring and they are first rate. Great report too.
  18. loosesprocket

loosesprocket Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    GPX Viewer, you can download route and view on your phone. we used the GPS Tracks and our phone and found both very useful.
  19. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I got it working with Gaia GPS. I have rever but I couldn’t get it to load the gpx. You’re saying it already includes the route with the paid version? Damn I wish I had known, I’d have just done that.

Charles.
  20. Brickflyer

Oddometer:
    Gaia will be fine. On Rever........I didn't even know these buttons were on here until a few weeks ago. i'm not advocating any product, may try a few more ......
    see image...
    IMG_8314.jpeg