A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. maloryII

maloryII ey brah Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've long favored the Scenic + Furkot.com combo, but I've been experimenting with Rever lately. VERY promising. I love how you can one-click to import BDR and even the Butler maps routes...
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gia works best zoomed WAY in. Rever is annoying to work with and I’m not a huge fan so far.

Charles.
  3. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You might also give Guru Maps a try if you're still looking. I use it on an old iPhone and have it on my current iPhone for a backup. I've tried Scenic, MotionX and dabbled with Gaia, but Guru Maps is what I've come to use. Download the maps offline, load tracks and either follow the line on the screen or do turn by turn. It just works for me...food for thought.

And most importantly, enjoy the MABDR! Hopefully Dorian remnants don't wash you out.
  4. molochnik

molochnik Cold Deist

Oddometer:
    :dunnoI readily admit I haven’t read the entire thread.
    Could anyone kindly tell me if they know whether Kevin’s spur up the west side of the appalacians is the same as what I’ve seen in here? I gotta make some time up and something a little nicer than the expert level blue routes out west would help.
    Not to discount the slippery water crossings
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    the MABDR is big bike friendly and alternates between forest service gravel roads and pavement , so other that you potentially encountering a few tricky water crossings (really only if the water is up from recent rains) you should be fine if you take it, of course if I'm wrong you can :dhorse later :lol3
  6. molochnik

molochnik Cold Deist

Oddometer:
    Crap. I didn’t see this until now after going back through my alerts.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
  7. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b

Oddometer:
    I am hoping someone could give me some insight on a track problem I am having.
    Two of us were leaving from Maine to do the MABDR north to south tomorrow or Wednesday.
    I had installed the tracks (or had somebody help me) onto my oldy but goody 60csx sometime ago. Everything looked good. Had 9 sections with alternates and bypasses. Maps looked good with each section having a beginning and an end.
    Yesterday I was taking a closer look at the tracks and have discovered that none of the tracks I have are complete. All sections start at the correct location according to the website and the Butler map but all end at maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the entire track!!
    Any ideas. Thanks
  8. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You probably loaded them onto a GPS unit that isn't made to use standard tracks. Some units will convert the track to a route but will limit the conversion to the number of points it will accept for a route (which are fewer than the 500 cap some old units had for track segments). Therefore the unit will truncate points beyond the limits it can covert which will leave every segment short.

Edit: I missed that you were using the 60 series. The 60 should have taken 500 points. Where did you get the GPS file and how many points are in each segment? If the points exceed 500 per segment, they will be truncated. If they exceed 500, you can filter the tracks to a 500 point limit.

Which tracks are you using? https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-ca...ery-route-mabdr.1295608/page-12#post-35001162
  9. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    I think the 60CSx has a 500 point track limit. You can put the route/track in Basecamp and set the track limit to less than 500 points and convert it... then send it to your 60CSx.
  10. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b

Oddometer:
    Tracks downloaded from the MABDR site. l do not know how many points are in each segment.

l will try to convert the the tracks in Basecamp.

Thanks for the responses.
  11. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b

Oddometer:
    Getting into Basecamp, it turns out that the tracks are Cannonshot tracks from this thread. All segments well over 500 points. Except for maybe an alternate or an extension track. Gonna try to filter sections to 500 points in Basecamp.

Question: Will reducing the number of points per section make the tracks harder to follow or not as precise as they could be? Is it just time for this KLR rider to upgrade his GPS?
  12. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You should read this post about my tracks more carefully: https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-ca...ery-route-mabdr.1295608/page-12#post-35001162

"The primary track we rode is contained in the first 15 track segments of 500 or less points each so they will work on many early model GPS units that only accept 20 tracks of 500 points or less. I also included the May 2018 version of the MABDR tracks from the MABDR website (in dark gray) in this GPX for easy comparison so people can see the differences between my trip track and the standard BDR track. Those 15 tracks are mostly greater than 500 points each." [Note that I only included the tracks that were not mine for comparison to the tracks I provided. I was assuming that people would understand the limitations of their GPS units before they tried to load the entire file - especially since I specifically explained it all in the post that has the file.] :D

So, if you deleted the tracks provided by the BDR folks (many of which exceed the 500 point limit) and only loaded the 15 tracks that I provided that are 500 points or less, you'd have no problem.

Filtering a very large number of points to 500 can make the track less distinct.

In the situation you are in, it might be best to just transfer track 01-15 and the waypoints to your 60 series. Be sure to delete the tracks that are in there now so you get a clean load.
    Brickflyer and 2old2Bbold like this.
  13. ktjim

ktjim longtime n00b

Oddometer:
    Upon further inspection..."I see says the blind man"

I now see the 15 tracks with the 500 points or less. Sorry for the misspeak earlier and thanks again for your help.
    Ajacks and Cannonshot like this.