A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    bkendig76, Moto Jimmy and VCheng like this.
  2. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As you can tell from my oddometer, I lurk often and post little, but your RRs are so good that I must commend you with the only regret of not finding them sooner (well, that, and not being able to find enough time to reproduce such enjoyable rides and wonderfully instructive content). Thank you for allowing me to relive these a little bit vicariously, and for providing much needed motivation to get off my rear and do whatever riding I can fit in.

Bravo!
  3. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I try to write reports to help out and encourage the next rider with a ride of their own. When I go somewhere I like to check out a variety of things that are interesting to me. I'm glad that some others find them interesting too. :D
  4. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A question, O Maestro:

When taking shots on the fly, which hand do you use to hold the camera while pressing the shutter button? Some details on the technique while juggling handlebars would be very helpful for me to avoid going into a ditch (or worse) if I were to attempt it.
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Usually the clutch hand. I use a Gearkeeper retractable lanyard clipped to my coat or vest so that I can drop the camera if I need to grab the bars. I keep the waterproof point and shoot camera in a partially open pocket so I can draw, arm, and fire the camera with one hand. After a while you get pretty good at lining up the shots. It's a good idea to take multiple exposures to make sure you get one you like.
    [​IMG]
    Blaise W and VCheng like this.
  6. DinoBike

DinoBike Dinobike

Oddometer:
    Nice report on the BDR -thank you!
    Cannonshot likes this.
  7. VCheng

VCheng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that explanation. If it is okay, I would rather request further lessons from the lady to your left. I need many lessons as I am a slow learner. :D
    Cannonshot likes this.
  8. kalho13

kalho13 I am who I am

Oddometer:
    Why a tubeless tire off twice?
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    It had a cut so it couldn't be plugged. Put a tube in it. Tube later failed at the patched cut. Second fix held well. Best thing for a cut is a heavy duty tractor tire style patch over the cut with a tube inside.
  10. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    Great report. Thanks, man.
    I'm headed there next week.
    Ajacks and Cannonshot like this.
  11. mbabc

mbabc Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer:
    Rode 4 days of the MABDR this past week. Started in Damascus and had to bail towards the 3/4 point of section 6 near Honey Grove, PA.

Your calling card is still prominently displayed at the Brushy Mt. Outpost -

PXL_20201002_154807275.jpg

Thanks for the great write-up. I've used several of your rr for info. Lake Superior, Colorado, etc.
    Much appreciated.
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Hah! Thanks for the picture!

I'm glad this report (and some of the others) proved helpful to you in your own planning. I try to write them to help out the next rider and to encourage more people to take some of these trips themselves. Always fun to hear from others about their experiences. :thumb
    mbabc and Sal Pairadice like this.
  13. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it was a blast, still cant see this as only a 6 day trip with your side trips. what time do you get up in the morning? took 6.5 and skipped some of the side trips, though got up late and left by 9:30 each morning
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I think we got up at 0600 and were probably on the road at 0700 or 0730. We took a lot of coffee breaks along the way as well.
  15. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! What a ride. I first saw this ride mentioned in a film festival that I watched a month or so ago. Cannon got me on to this RR. What a guy. The best.
    I may have to get this ride on the radar. Maybe in the fall. Shacked up in Florida for the winter and playing in Michigan this summer.
    Cannon, you guys were on some big bikes that looked loaded for six months, not just six days. Could this be done on a smaller dual sport without all the gear? I am not much of a planner, so managing all that crap would take me a year to come up with, then I'd be too tired to ride.
    I sure hope Jack was well compensated for being abused with all the roadside tire changes. That GPS dashboard is outa this world. Do you do ads for Garmin?
    Thanks again for the great ride along.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Hi Greg!

A DR650 with a backpack or pannier that gets you from motel to motel (ala the CannonTreks in the UP) would make for a nice ride.
    Mark_O and bomber60015 like this.
  17. GasMich

GasMich Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank God. I am getting too old for this sleeping on the ground crap! I like the pair and a spare route better. Having a good time so far taking spins around the forest roads in Florida on the DR650 I picked up. Can't wait to get back to some real riding in Michigan. What sand? Where's that picture you have of the back tire buried up by Lake Superior? You said it was a road!!!!
    bomber60015 and Cannonshot like this.
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    At least you handle it well. :D
    [​IMG]
    norton73, bomose, bomber60015 and 2 others like this.
  19. yakmike

yakmike Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this fantastic rr and I now have this on the horizon for late spring. If that ever shows up!
    Cannonshot likes this.