A CannonRide Up the Mid-Atlantic Backcounty Discovery Route (MABDR)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Cannonshot, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Day 5, part 1, heading toward Big Spring.

[​IMG]

Breakfast back in Mount Holly Springs. Laura's I think.

[​IMG]

It was cold. We started seeing the first of the snow.

[​IMG]

Heading back to the mountains.

[​IMG]

Newville. About 1,300 people.

[​IMG]

Sergeant First Class Randy Schughart is from here. He was awarded a Medal of Honor for his actions in Mogadishu. His story is depicted in the movie Blackhawk Down.

Sergeant First Class Shughart, United States Army, distinguished himself by actions above and beyond the call of duty on 3 October 1993, while serving as a Sniper Team Member, United States Army Special Operations Command with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia. Sergeant First Class Shughart provided precision sniper fires from the lead helicopter during an assault on a building and at two helicopter crash sites, while subjected to intense automatic weapons and rocket propelled grenade fires. While providing critical suppressive fires at the second crash site, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader learned that ground forces were not immediately available to secure the site. Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader unhesitatingly volunteered to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel, despite being well aware of the growing number of enemy personnel closing in on the site. After their third request to be inserted, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members. Sergeant First Class Shughart pulled the pilot and the other crew members from the aircraft, establishing a perimeter which placed him and his fellow sniper in the most vulnerable position. Sergeant First Class Shughart used his long range rifle and side arm to kill an undetermined number of attackers while traveling the perimeter, protecting the downed crew. Sergeant First Class Shughart continued his protective fire until he depleted his ammunition and was fatally wounded. His actions saved the pilot's life. Sergeant First Class Shughart's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty were in keeping with the highest standards of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Shughart had the M14.

Congress named his hometown post office after him. The US Navy named a roll-on/roll-off cargo ship after him. When Shughart's father went to the Medal of Honor ceremony at the White House, he refused to shake hands with Bill Clinton and then told Clinton he wasn't fit to be President.

[​IMG]
    rob_bdb, jdub, MTD606 and 12 others like this.
  2. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Interesting story about the other Molly. I hadn't heard anything about it. :thumb

Thanks for offering some ideas for alternatives for people that will ride this thing or in this area. For those that haven't done them already, they are all good rides to check off the list. Some friends and I have enjoyed riding in that area a few times in the past and it is all great. Come to think of it, I think we had sleet and ice on the Cherohala Skyway the last time we were there prompting one of the riders to rename it the "Chernobyl Iceway". :D
    Bob1775 likes this.
  3. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    There is a memorial to Shugart at the flagpole in front of the Big Spring High School in Newville.
    sick_boy, drumdog and Cannonshot like this.
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Heading toward Big Spring, day 5, continued.

Heading out of Newville.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So much nice pavement.

[​IMG]

And gravel too.

[​IMG]

A lot of water still running out of the hillsides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was nice that the trees were still bare. We could see a lot from the mountainsides that otherwise would have been blocked. Of course, the pictures don't work as well as your mind processes the live view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The water was running clearer now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fowlers Hollow State Park is along the route. It is worth a ride up and down the hollow.

[​IMG]

Logging hit here in 1900. They dropped a railroad in and cleared the area out. It was all over by about 1905. The state bought some of the denuded land a few years later. When public works projects came into being some years later, they built some parks and planted trees. It is all pretty nice today.

[​IMG]

A nice campground in the hollow (and a new heated rest room). The hot air hand dryer was refreshing. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I didn't want to pause near this phone for too long. I was afraid I'd get one of those unwanted marketing calls. :D

[​IMG]
    wilfred, drumdog, davidp14 and 3 others like this.
  5. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Now you're in my neck of the woods! It's Big Spring, only one...lol
    Three Square Hollow Road is 5 min from my house! Looked a little different on New Year's Day.
    Great RR CS! Keep it coming!
    [​IMG]
    wilfred, sick_boy, BLucare and 3 others like this.
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We were wondering what else they might have done there.

Cool stuff! Maybe once I get the next post up you can add some information about hiking in to that railroad tunnel at Big Spring that they never finished.
    wilfred likes this.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 5, continued, Big Spring.

Someone was slipping a pipeline in along here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of those mega-leaf blowers that cleans out the ditches on these forest roads.

[​IMG]

He cut the power and aimed the muzzle upward to let us pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Big Spring (including the springhouse). This may be in a wild area now, but years back it was pretty developed. There was a tannery here until 1860. That got converted into an axe handle factory. The lumber company railroad came through here and hauled timber to tanneries, charcoal furnaces, and barrel manufacturers. The railroad tried to tunnel through to the other side of the mountain to expand commerce . . . but didn't make it. The tunnel was abandoned and remains incomplete and is a park attraction. The tracks to the tunnel were used to bring picnickers to this site in the early 1900s. The Civilian Conservation Corps did a lot of work here as part of public works projects.

[​IMG]
    wilfred, drumdog, BLucare and 6 others like this.
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 5, continued, on to McVeytown, part 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't learn much about New Germantown. Seen better days I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But they do have the 74' long New Germantown Covered Bridge built in 1891.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Whenever we saw a view like this we knew a good road over the mountain was ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a lot of water around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gas and grocery in East Waterford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since the original route was developed, some "Private Road" signs appeared at each end of this short road section. Coming from the south you would pass between a house and a barn and end up on a field road as you went over the hill. On various maps this private road is named "Sweger Lane" so most would reasonably assume that it was a named public road - including the layout crew. Since the signs appeared, it is important to investigate further to see if the road truly is private and then to reroute the track with a go-around. No big deal, stuff like this is common, we just need to correct it so riders get a revised route to follow and the landowners don't continue to be aggravated. :D

[​IMG]

The south end.

[​IMG]

The go-around.

[​IMG]

The north end.

[​IMG]

Rather than have a bunch of people speculate about it back and forth, I researched the facts to get it resolved. The official county highway map does not list it as a government road.

[​IMG]

The local township map that depicts funded roads does not include this private road.

[​IMG]

It is private. Even if it wasn't, it is clear we aren't wanted there so we should re-route this short stretch to save headaches further down the line. I have since passed this info on to @eakins who is sending it to the BDR crew to make a change to the track and post info on the BDR website.

This is one reason why it is important to always go to the author's site (MABDR) to get the current track. When people repost the track elsewhere, changes don't get picked up like they do at the original host site and people unknowingly continue to repeat the original (newly discovered) errors even though they have been corrected already. As I said, I will share my GPX and waypoints for the ride we did, but with the reminder to always go to the MABDR site to get the most current version of the base track. :D
    wilfred, sick_boy, drumdog and 14 others like this.
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 5, continued, on to McVeytown, part 2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pipeline.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McVeytown. The place for lunch is Kountry Kitchen.

[​IMG]

Gas.

[​IMG]
    wilfred, sick_boy, drumdog and 5 others like this.
  10. Phreaky Phil

Phreaky Phil Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE

[​IMG]

[/QUOTE]
    No chance of you getting lost ! :lol3
    What do you think of the new 276 cx ?
    Loving the report.
    wilfred likes this.
  11. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "No chance of you getting lost ! :lol3"

Exactly what I was thinking.
    Along with..."We're gonna need a bigger boat" All in jest:imaposer
    Thanks for the RR. Nicely done.
  12. Jollyrogers

Jollyrogers Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been following along whenever I had cell service, but am ahead of your tracks... and people laugh about all that dash, when I did river crossings or got in the rain my USB charger would stop charging my iphone!!! Thankfully my riding partners had gps options too
  13. jeffrho

jeffrho sock guy

Oddometer:
    :lurk :drink Now this is a RR. Thank you Canon Rolling out Sept 1st.
  14. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Just got to love your dash. I'd be running off into the woods trying to focus on all those gauges
  15. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 5, continued, on to McAlevy's Fort Hill Cemetery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Starting to snow.

[​IMG]

Cresting a ridge.

[​IMG]

Snow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back down in a valley. Still snowing there.

[​IMG]

Out from under the snow. Looking toward Allensville

[​IMG]

Snow nearby.

[​IMG]

Allenville.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghost town here as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dam here that forms a six acre lake was built by Franklin's CCC boys. They also restored some of the iron furnace structures. The dam is on the national register of historic places. I should've given it more than a drive-by picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McAlevy's Fort Hill Cemetery on the hill.

[​IMG]

The access road was gated off. There was a lot of mud there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    wilfred, sick_boy, drumdog and 6 others like this.
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    :lol3

I like the new 276Cx. It has some nice features. I've used the weather radar display before. At high detail levels the redraw can be a little slower than my Montana.

Thanks. I think I need bigger handlebars to make more room for stuff. :evil

I have a satellite radio there (relaxing tunes in the background) and an In Reach tracker since I often ride in remote areas alone. Since I am often mapping to publish later on, I like to run two GPS units. This time that wasn't much of an issue so I ran tracks on the 276Cx and used the Zumo for other things like looking up lodging on the fly without having to change maps in the topo unit.

With two people, backups are a little easier. A solo rider better have a spare unit along with the tracks loaded. By the way, the mount for my InReach failed (bad pin) so I had to plug it in to a USB plug with a cable to keep it going as I was getting low power messages. Not a big deal, but once people are watching your tracking map they can get a little nervous if you stop transmitting - especially while you are out in the boonies. :D

Thanks! Hope you have a great trip!

Not pictured is the waterproof remote control for the satellite radio. :evil
    wilfred, chudzikb and Snake Oiler like this.
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Day 5, continued, on to Middleburg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old CCC camp at Penn Roos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overlook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is that section of unmaintained road (downhill for us) that is marked "rocks and ruts" on the map. It isn't too bad, but there are a few uneven rough spots with protruding rocks and erosion that means you have to pay attention. I have some wild accidental exposures on my camera from here which means the camera was bouncing around in my hand as I bounced over some of this. Not a big deal, but still worthy of respect.

[​IMG]

This one isn't too bad. The one's that were worse didn't get photographed since I had to use two hands to manage the bike.

[​IMG]

I forgot that it was snowing while we were doing this. I wouldn't be too concerned about it - uphill or down - but you will do better knowing it is there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By the way, the tread where the stones are gone got really slick for some reason. Maybe it had to do with the wet, snow, and cold that we'd been getting.

[​IMG]

The plan originally was to ride the "expert" drivable trail at Flat Hollow. There was still plenty of water in the woods from the flash flood producing storm so after experiencing the recent slickness on the depleted gravel we decided to skip it rather than needlessly ask for trouble. May not have been any trouble at all, but conservative was the better way to lean at that moment.

[​IMG]

We took another path around it. It was great like most of them are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prior to starting out, Jack mentioned that his sidecar vendor was near the route and if we got close maybe we could stop since he was interested in getting yet another side car.

[​IMG]

We were close and the time was right so off we went to Middleburg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a great stop. While Jack was doing the preliminary work for another sidecar project, I was checking out the shop and talking with people about all kinds of things related to sidecars and the shop.

[​IMG]

I personally wasn't interested in a sidecar myself, but Jack speaks highly of them. I guess one would be handy for winter riding in snowy Wisconsin.

[​IMG]

I was asking about engineering, design, manufacturing, and installation matters. Fascinating. And who doesn't like to be checking out a busy motorcycle workshop?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A very interesting and entertaining stop. I'm sure that the owner would welcome others to come visit and see what goes on there. Waypoint is in my GPX (that I will share later).

[​IMG]
    wilfred, drumdog, EvilClown and 10 others like this.
  18. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:

This is just one reason your RR is a cut above others.
    Cannonshot likes this.
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    End of day 5, heading toward Woolrich.

[​IMG]

Harvey's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harry John Voneida was a hermit and mountain man. He lived near here. He sought vindication for the grisly murder of his wife in Loganton while John was off trying to join the Army at the outbreak of the Mexican - American War. No one in Loganton could provide his innocence or guilt so when John got free he moved here where he lived for about 40 years.

When the Civil War came up, John tried to join up again but was turned away. A preacher's niece pitied John and began to cook for him and care for the cabin. They eventually married. They provided a stop for travelers to rest and eat along the turnpike here. When some Union troops passed by as the war ended, John and his wife served them cold water, gingerbread, cakes, and coffee.

John died about 1890. Some say he and his wife were brutally beaten to death by robbers and that his wife's spirit still resides here.

In 1920, the Governor stopped here at the spring for some water. After he heard the story, someone suggested that the name be changed to Voneida Park. The Gov said "Let the name stand, whiskers and all!".

[​IMG]

Climbing to an overlook.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back in formation.

[​IMG]

Hobo Vista. Kind of bummed me out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

GPS tracklines makes decisions like this very easy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another one of those great CCC built lakes and dams at Poe Lake. Some things like this are just slightly off track and require only a short spur ride to experience them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cold and snowy. But still a great time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did see one of these (a fisher) along the way after dark just north of I-80. Apparently they are coming back into range here. By the way, fishers are some pretty bad-ass night fighters.

[​IMG]

We are about to run out of road pix since the light is going.

[​IMG]

Here is the daily for today.

[​IMG]

I wasn't going to mention this, and edited my track so no place would be identified, but we stopped at a rural place to stay, got some rooms, unloaded, and then discovered it really wasn't a good place to stay so we checked out and went to a standard motel in a more populated place. It was worth the extra miles to go a city. :D

[​IMG]

Once we got situated in town and got something to eat we were squared away for the night. Another great day of riding on a great path.
    wilfred, drumdog, Bultaco206 and 6 others like this.
  20. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks. We want this to be a reference that might be useful to everyone that has an interest in the ride.
    drumdog and Shaggie like this.