A Change of Plans - Mashing together the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 19, 2020.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Four of us have been planning to ride the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route this year. Due to commitments, the only possible time to do it would have been starting tomorrow, June 20 and be back by July 3. Well, Mother nature and the roads department are having another say about those plans. Late snow and a cool spring has a lot of the IDBDR still under a lot of snow and downed tree. Also, the Magruder Corridor is closed till July 15 for road work.
    So, not to be deterred from an adventure after the Covid lock-down we made some rapid adjustments to our plans. Instead we will be riding a series of routes for our trip. First off will be sections two thru six of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. Why not section one you ask? Snow! But two thru six are clear of snow and trees according to reports. Then, about 10 miles south of the end of the WABDR is a connection to the NW Passage. This is a route like a BDR but it goes from the Seattle area east to and around Priest Lake in Idaho. Things look OK until we get close to Priest lake and then there is more snow so we may have to jog below that last section and then ride to Sand Point, Idaho. From there it's a short jaunt to get to Samuels, ID which is on section eight of the IDBDR. Our plan it to ride north to the end at the Canadian Border and hopefully get to ride up to Roman Nose along the way and then head back to Samuels and continue south on the IDBDR. There is some snow in a spot or two that we've mapped re-routes for until we approach the Blue Cabin on section six where the snow and trees and other things like schedules will stop us and we'll shoot up towards Avery and then head west back to home via pavement.
    The four of us are riding mid to large sized adventure bikes, BMW 1200GSA, F800GSA, F650GS and Honda Africa Twin. We are packed so we can camp most to all of the time. Our daily plan is a quick breakfast in camp, ride out around 9am with some viewpoint stops and rest breaks and then hitting a town to fuel, lunch in a restaurant, grocery shopping sometime mid day, then riding till 6ish when we find a nice place to setup camp and hang out for the evening regaling each other with stories from the days adventure. Rinse and repeat each day till the adventure is complete.
    My goal is to try to post daily logs when cell or WiFi become available with descriptions and pictures of that day. Excuse me if service isn't available and I do a dump when I can!
    I've also setup a Spotwalla page where my Garmin inReach satellite tracker will drop breadcrumbs for you to follow our progress:
    https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=229495ed2a81d4254f&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes
    I'm also going to encourage my riding partners to either post links to their own ride report or jump on my bandwagon and post their updates and pictures here as well. Always fun to hear from everyone on a trip to gain their perspectives as well.
    Enjoy the journey from afar, lurk or comment as desired. Keep it PG as my mom will be following along :-)

Joe riding the F800GSA

Attached Files:

2. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    subscribed.. have a great trip Joe.. and hopefully just enough "adventure" to not need to call in the calvary for rescue.. :)
    fjmartin likes this.
  3. SGTMacGyver

SGTMacGyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    10 hrs and Kickstands up!
    yokesman and fjmartin like this.
  4. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/20
    Meeting in Packwood

Nothing special except we are all together! IMG_0174.jpg
  5. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/20
    WABDR section 2
    Packwood to Ellensburg

Just a bit of sprinkles but still dusty.
    Group dynamics are awesome. Helpful, excellent pace. All good till Babyhead hill. The brothers cleaned it. I fell once when a rock kicked me 90 degrees. Lots of other rock sections. Tough but fun on a big bike.

We finished up in nice weather and set up at the KOA in Ellensburg. Beers, food, WiFi...luxury! IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0190.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0195.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    Flyin' Monkeys, thirsty 1 and ilten like this.
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/20 KOA camp in Ellensburg
    IMG_0202.jpg
  7. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/21
    Section 3
    Ellensburg to Cashmere

We all woke early so we got on the trail by 8. Section 3 did not disappoint with some tough rocky climbs, sand and some mud. Views were fantastic. Beehive slide wasn’t bad but I did nail my skid plate on a big rock on it and it kicked me over. No harm, no foul. All day we were dreaming of Country Boys BBQ but they were closed. A mile high burger at 111 brewery was a good substitute. Now hanging at the KOA in Leavenworth. IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0206.jpg
    IMG_0205.jpg
    IMG_0203.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
  8. LostWoods

LostWoods Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am in! I love seeing reports in my own backyard. I live near South Prairie, Washington. It is always exciting to see someone tracks come through my own stomping grounds. Nice report so far, and its exciting to see Section 1 and 2 are clear and opened!
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/22
    Section 4

Late post due to no coverage. Completed section 4 from Wenatchee to Chelan. The Jungle is a beast on a big bike. It was hot out but I think the fact that I was soaked was pure fear sweat. We stopped for supplies and headed to Cooper Mountain for camp. Awesome night up there GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0227.jpg
    IMG_0228.jpg
    IMG_0230.jpg
  10. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/23
    Chelan to Conconully

As you saw we did go past Chelan and camp. We then continued today to Conconully. Lots more embedded rock and when you get close to the Ruby Grade there are cows, ruts, water crossings to keep you occupied. Two of our team went down in a deep mud bog. It had an easy ride arou d that I took as I was leading but one Supermaned over the bars into the cow dung filled mud and the other slid out and was pinned by the ankle by her hard pannier. We iced it but it went black and blue quickly. Show could walk so we wrapped it and continued on to the ruby grade downhill switchbacks. Steep, loose rock and steps make it another challenge on the big bikes. Success for everyone and we rolled into the state park to camp and eat in town and take care of the ankle. IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0268.jpg
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  11. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/24
    WABDR Section 6 continuing towards Idaho on the NW Passage

Today was a fun ride out of Conconully. We did run I to a thunderstorm and got the edge of it with flashes and booms and some rain. Then hit the pavement to Oroville for a great Mexican lunch. Looking out the windows at the bikes we noticed a puddle under the F650GS. OIL. Pulled the skid plate and found that a rock had wedges between the engine case and skid plate and a strike on the plate pushed the rock through. A NAPA was just down the road to we got kwik weld and brake cleaner. Bikes on it side and sniffed up the area and dried with brake cleaner and now applying the epoxy! Wait time for a test ride!

View attachment 2385945
    View attachment 2385947
    View attachment 2385948
    View attachment 2385949
    View attachment 2385950
    View attachment 2385951
    View attachment 2385952
    View attachment 2385953
    View attachment 2385954
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  12. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Pics 2020-06-24_09-54-19_img_0288.jpg
    2020-06-24_09-57-24_img_0289.jpg
    2020-06-24_09-57-59_img_0290.jpg
    2020-06-24_09-59-44_img_0291.jpg
    2020-06-24_10-04-27_img_0292.jpg
    2020-06-24_10-06-51_img_0293.jpg
    2020-06-24_11-47-30_img_0294.jpg
    2020-06-24_11-48-10_img_0295.jpg
    2020-06-24_11-48-20_img_0296.jpg
    NSFW, Flyin' Monkeys and thirsty 1 like this.
  13. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Patch held but it wasn’t the rock that did it. It was the bracket that holds the skid plate bent so badly that one of its bolts did it. Now fixing that as best as possible! IMG_0311.jpg
    EmmEff, Flyin' Monkeys and thirsty 1 like this.
  14. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Better than new. Bailing wire, wood strips and tie wraps as bumpers and rear support! IMG_0312.jpg
    Flyin' Monkeys and dano619 like this.
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Being it is late due to the repair we hit the store for supplies and went just 1.1 miles to Lake Osoyoos to camp. Fish are jumping and bats are buzzing us to get the mosquitos! IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0314.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
  16. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report! I was camped across from you at Conconully. Nice meeting you and enjoy the rest of your ride!

-Adam
    fjmartin likes this.
  17. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Hope your finished up strong!
  18. GeezerLarryP

GeezerLarryP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Camped at that same park last year when returning from Alaska loved that area of Washington.
    fjmartin likes this.
  19. AC09

AC09 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yessir. Finished route six and made it to Winthrop in time for lunch. After that it was a mid-week no traffic blast over 20 back to civilization.

Looking forward to seeing photos of the IDBDR section of your trip.
    fjmartin likes this.
  20. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/25
    NW Passage from Oroville to Northpoint

Awesome dirt today with some big passes. Cows and deer were determined to kill me but I was too tricky(lucky) :-)

Stopped at The Tugboat for a nice lunch.

Rolled into the Upper Columbia RV and Campground and Ralph hooked us up with a cabin and came by to chat. Nice guy. Showers, sink to wash clothes and Microwave to heat stuff. Spoiled! Met another camper who had a fire, food, chairs and good conversation.
    IMG_0332.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    NSFW and Ginger Beard like this.