A Change of Plans - Mashing together the Pacific Northwest

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by fjmartin, Jun 19, 2020.

1. fjmartin

fjmartin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Few more GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    twowings and NSFW like this.
  2. rroger

rroger Enjoying the Ride

Oddometer:
    Nice ride report/pics. I ride a R12GS but keep mine on the pavement:) Hello to Tammy, a former co-worker. Cheers and enjoy the ride!
    fjmartin likes this.
  3. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Most enjoyable read, thank you
  4. manshoon

manshoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Around Boundary is a Beautiful area, around the dam especially, Mettaline Falls ect.........Looks like most of the ride is the logging roads, or have you gotten off onto single/two track stuff over the course of the ride yet ? My Neighbor and I live close to where you are now, might be a an excursion we will follow on. Thx for the pics and love the spot info of the ride
    fjmartin likes this.
  5. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    We went to the park and went ghetto drying our clothes on the rocks :-). We are on forest service rods on these big bikes. Though some pretty rough. Thanks for following along!
  6. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/26

We rolled out of camp j ewww adding towards the Canadian border for fuel but the station went out of business due to the border being closed for COVID. We pushed on anyway and hit the NW Passage to Metaline for fuel then Metaline falls for a great lunch. We stopped at Sullivan Lake and stretched out clothes lines to finish drying out washing from the night before. We looked like a hobo camp! One dry we continued into Idaho above Upper priest lake and took the Adventure track. This should be called the path of of a 1000 water bars! Then some fast dirt to pavement on the east side of lower priest lake. We stopped at the state park for camping but it was FULL. The volunteer was awesome and told us about a place for good wild camping. It wasn’t good, it was great! Right on a raging creek with a huge area for spread out tents. Things got exciting though as we sat around talking when a bear entered camp about 75 feet away. Guns and beat spray in hand we did a little tracking to make sure it was moving on. We found it on the side of the road tearing apart a log to get grubs. We finally startled it and it sprinted away. No other issues that night. Actually slept really well with the creek sounds but did have bear horn, flashlight bear spray and pistol strategically placed and our food hanging off the IMG_0370.jpg
    bridge over the creek! IMG_0371.jpg
    IMG_0372.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0378.jpg
    NSFW and ilten like this.
  7. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    More IMG_0379.jpg
    IMG_0380.jpg
    IMG_0381.jpg
    IMG_0382.jpg
    IMG_0383.jpg
    twowings and ilten like this.
  8. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    The bear

He wouldn’t look up so a crap picture IMG_0384.jpg
  9. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/27

When I planned this route we were going to take the highway from priest lake to Sandpoint and beyond to connect to the IDBDR on section 8. But I put in my Garmin a destination of Sandpoint and it told me to turn left pretty quickly which was a sweet dirt route and a metric shat ton shorter. We pulled into a store for gas and supplies and damn it, but there was oil again dripping from the F650GS. The skid plate Bodge fix didn’t work and the nut again pressed into the oil pan on our JB Weld fix. So off came the skid plate and we cleaned off the previous fix and did it again. This time we took rubber pieces designed to hold an exhaust pipe on a car and they worked perfectly to protect the belly. After setting up for 90 minutes we rolled north on section 8. We did the Roman Nose side loop and made it again to the Canadian border after stopping at the Kootinay River for a break. They highway south to Bonners Ferry for a fantastic meal and beer at the Kootinai Brewing Company and then a cabin down the road. We choose to sleep inside as it’s going to thunder and rain tonight. Tomorrow we continue south to finish 8 and whatever we can do of 7. IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0365.jpg
    IMG_0366.jpg
  10. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    Bike fix...again IMG_0367.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0369.jpg
  11. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    More of 6/27 IMG_0443.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0445.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    W IMG_0446.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
  12. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/28

The F650GS is doing great with the latest fix!

We rolled out of Bonners Ferry around 8:30am and hit the highway south to intersect with section 8 of the IDBDR at the exact point we hit it for the north run yesterday. Funny thing is there is a gas station across the highway for the BDR turn and after getting gas and shooting across the highway 2 of us made it but 2 got caught out when the railroad crossing arms cam down. Got a pic just as the train was coming by!

IMG_0449.jpg
  13. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/28 continued

Head south and n section 8 we got to Lake Pend Orielle and headed into the mountains. We climbed up and by snow next to the road. On the way down we started to get rained on and then a truck passed us coming from the other direction and it was covered in hail. We pulled off and hid under trees as the hail hit but it passed quickly and within a mile it was dusty again
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    twowings likes this.
  14. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    More 6/28

After coming back down we made it to Clark Fork which is the end of section 8. Stopped for lunch and had a good meal and awesome conversations with other motorcyclist that we coming through. None riding the BDR though. Post lunch we decided to do all of section 7. 106 miles and almost ALL dirt. More high elevation stuff and a bit more technical with embedded rocks, woops and ruts. More rain also but again only for a short time. Finally rolled into Wallace for fuel at 7. We checked the weather forecast and only 20% chance of rain so we are tent camping at the RV place. Before finishing the unpacking thunder, lightning and rain hit. Rapid tent deployment and gear toss took place. The RV place has a brew pub attached. Great beer and food! Now ready to crash for the night. Man, I hate packing up a wet tent! GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    twowings and AC09 like this.
  15. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/29

Let me start by saying it rained all night. I hate packing up wet tents!!!

Rain did stop as we packed up but started again and lasted all day. But, the dirt surface from Wallace to Avery is awesome when wet. Did some of my fastest riding of the trip on it.

Once we got to Avery we headed up to see if we could make it over the hill where the blue cabin is. Snow map still showed snow but we hoped for the best. The dirt started great, then new marbles were put deep on it which freaks me out but we pushed on at a good clip. Then we got to steeper stuff that was pretty messed up from the winter with deep runoff ruts making for technical narrow line selections. Super fun but hoping I wouldn’t have to come down it. Then we got to a little plateau and the surface there was SLICK. Kept it upright but barely. Then a few small patches of snow on the side of the trail and finally came around a corner and it was DEEP across the road...damn! Walked it and it was a steep climb with snow for a long while. Checked the GPS and we were less than 4 miles from the cabin but it might as well have been the moon, out of reach. We turned around and made the 30 mile run back to Avery. We had sandwiches at the flu fishing shop which were excellent and the owner is a really nice guy! From there we hit the St. Joe river bypass road and worked our way on some super fun twisters towards Medical Lake west of Spokane. Hotel if it tonight and then I’ll make the final push home ending a great trip.

The others are going to do some more adventuring. I gave them tracks to get from I-90 at Stampede Pass with a dirt route that will take them to Hwy 410 near Greenwater. From there it’s an easy run back to Packwood where they are goi g to run section 1 of the WABDR down to Oregon where two of them live.

I may post some more pics as I have a lot of them but mostly this is THE END! Thanks for following along! GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    GPTempDownload.jpg
    IMG_0522.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0517.jpg
    twowings, NSFW and DRONE like this.
  16. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    The snow that turned us around IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
  17. fjmartin

Oddometer:
    6/30

We left the West Spokane area to slab it home via I-90. with dry conditions and mild temps. Once we rolled into the area where the speed limit increased to 70 I found my bike had no power and we pulled off. First, I checked the heat of my rotors to make sure I didn't have brake drag and then I decided to "uncork" the bike as I call it. With the expected dusty conditions for the trip and riding in a group I had installed UNI pre-filters in the intakes of my F800GSA. They are a course foam that you oil up like a dirt bike air filter. I pulled them out and they were packed solid with dirt. I had set these up with a wire to make it easy to just tug and remove. Once that was done the bike was back to full power and we rolled on until we were approaching the Vantage area where it can be a bit windy but it was more than a bit windy. Crossing the bridge over the Columbia was pure terror with massive winds seemingly hitting randomly but quickly from both sides. It was just terrible for another 10 miles where me and Matt pulled off for fuel and waited for the others. We got a call that they pulled off at Vantage and were going to wait out the wind even if it meant a hotel for the night. Matt was undecided on whether to go forward or not and I decided to press on. Once I got to Ellensburg it was even worse. I pulled off, check my GPS and decided to try to take the back roads as much west as I could. Turned out to be a good decision as the trees along the rural highway blocked most of the wind and once I got through Cle Elum the wind died down a lot. The rest of the trip was smooth sailing home.
    Heard that Matt decided to take a route from I-90 to Greenwater that I had mapped out for him. He made it but wasn't happy about it as I guess the new snow thaw and 4x4s had made it a rutted mess.

Now, I have days of clean-up of my gear and bike. Take it easy!
    twowings, NSFW and DRONE like this.
  18. SGTMacGyver

SGTMacGyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't thank you enough Joe for leading this adventure! The work you put in the front end with GPX files, places to see and options if things needed to change made this an incredible adventure. As I look at each of these photos I'm instantly taken back to that very moment in time. Looking forward to what lays in the future!
  19. SGTMacGyver

SGTMacGyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200630_192531.jpg
  20. SGTMacGyver

SGTMacGyver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20200628_120739.jpg