A Chinese 150cc Scooter Saga

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Reposado1800, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    It is at 5,000 miles. I just replaced the coil/plug cap combo and changed the oil. Just in time too. There wasn't a whole lot in there. 10W40 in this extreme heat seems to burn off a bit fast. I think the clutch/variator mechanism is getting a bit clunky in engagement- disengagement. Someone sells a kit with both together, have to find that. The China mirrors finally fell off. I swapped one over from our Zuma 50. I will need to get another left side as the Zuma uses reverse thread for the right side.
  2. Mikegigabyte

Mikegigabyte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    try 20w 50 oil
    little thicker made for very hot temps
    just make sure if its cool to let it warm up longer

I got an oil cooler for my scooter only because I figure the cooler oil travels through the entire engine so it will help cool it better and it adds about 200 ml to the total amount so thats better too

you can get them from ncy they make one for the gy6
    screws into the oil screen filter hole

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Neat oil cooler set up. I was thinking what a pain to clean the oil screen but I see they moved it to the hose so no problem.
  4. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:
    every time ive checked my screen nothing was in it
    but on mine because they gave me the minimum amount of hose its in a bad spot so I cant check it anyways

If you follow the blue hose to the right you can see a finned round thing, the screen is in that

[​IMG]
  5. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    Wow, nice idea! ...but god forbid one of those hose clamps fail... yer goose is cooked!
  6. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:
    It came with none, and dont show them being used
    I did that myself
    but guess what they are not needed.
    once you get a few run cycles I guess the hose forms to the barbs because I tried to pull one off underneath where I had plenty of room and could not bust it loose
    its on there for good

I would be concerned with the bottom banjo bolts blow out on the road
    I use a dip stick temp gauge so sometimes at stop lights I will look at it, I figure if I had no oil it may be off the charts, or super cool

You can see its not that much in the air flow, im trying to keep it hidden. If it was angled down more it would work even better
    Ive lost about 20 degrees F or more because of the cooler, it really works well
    on cooler days my temp gauge is at 180, hot days 200 or less
    With no cooler, cooler days would be almost 200, hot days ive got over 210 before

[​IMG]
  7. btcn

btcn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a great idea! I bet that add some engine life!:deal
  8. Bar None

Oddometer:
    I would not worry about oil getting to 210 degrees F. No need for an oil cooler at those temps. Oil should get above the boiling point of water in order to remove moisture.
  9. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:
    Its a dipstick gauge oil barely splashes on it
    im sure deeper in the engine the oil is very hot, so at some point it will be alot hotter and hopefully get to the correct temps
    its just the dip stick gauge is very easy to install, its not about being accurate its about getting an idea of the temp and using that as a baseline

so I know my temps dropped by 20F after installing the cooler on the dipstick, but I dont know what the real temp was to begin with internally if that makes sense

ju
  10. hugemoth

hugemoth Big Brother is watching you!

Oddometer:
    Can you lean the scoot over to one side so the hot oil contacts the gauge? BTW it's easy to make your own digital or analogue gauge using a meat thermometer. I use a $5 HF digital meat thermometer on my Lifan powered CT90.

[​IMG]

11. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:
    scooter turned off the gauge is my dipstick
    oil sits on the tube just like the stock plastic one
    im just not sure when its running how much splashes on it or how much its saturated in the oil, where if I had an electronic unit tapped into my oil line then for sure it wold give the exact temps

my engine is under pressure, I dont think the home made type would work too well, the second it leaks, it will leak oil out

one dipstick gauge I had earlier failed in a month, small leak in the glass seal and ran oil down the side
    this new one, replaced free has lasted since december last year

this is not about accuracy for me, its about getting numbers when I had a stock engine, a larger engine, cold weather, hot weather so I get an idea of my running temps
    so if I ever glance down at a stop light and see something way off it may be a sign
    thats all

I would rather have the cooler as I live in san diego, its almost year round I can ride and we get some hot spells, like right now. Plus I get that extra 200+ml of oil in the system

if its keeps way too cool in the winter time 55F-65F I can make a blocker for the cooler like the truckers use on the radiators then it will keep the temps hotter

ive checked for white, and other signs of the oil being too cool when I first installed it and did not see that
    it was installed in march I think, was a cold spell
  12. Bar None

Oddometer:
    Don't make sense to me. You say it drops the temp 20 degrees F but then you don't trust the temp meter? Can't have it both ways.
    Oil is cooler higher up in the engine?:rofl

I had one of those dip stick temp gauges in a dirt bike and it would hit 260 on hard climb.
  13. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:

I guess you just dont get it
    im saying I dont think its an accurate example of whats going on compared to a real sensor in the engine block
    only a small tiny amount of oil is in contact with it
    im just not trying to promote it as a real gauge thats all, I use it as a tool
  14. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither is a real sensor in the engine block, as there are parts of the engine that are WAY hotter than others while being close to each other, for example, the valves. This is specially true for air cooled engines.

In an aircooled engine the oil temperature is probably as close as you'll ever get to a "real" temperature, as the oil not only lubricates, but carries heat away from the hotter parts of the engine and spreads it to the rest.
  15. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:
    Who cares about the temp gauge accurate or not to me its a handy tool.
    the only reason I got the cooler is I know the oil flows more around in the engine then a LC engine so it will cool it more and help add life to the oil, and add more oil to the system. I had that temp gauge almost the whole time ive had the scooter, just recently got the BBK and cooler and saw what a difference the cooler has done. Performance wise I cant say its done anything, and since I change the oil every 1000 miles cant say how its helped prolonge the life of the oil.
    Also just got a lighter cooling fan too, helps take weight off the crankshaft. Have not tested to see if it flows more air and I do have a wind meter I can check it, I think its supposed to also flow more air too so that should also help in cooling the engine too
  16. Bar None

Oddometer:
    You must use crappy oil to have to change it every 1000 miles. The oil companies love people like you who think their oil wears out in such a short time.:rofl
  17. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:
    yeah that $9 quart of synthetic is pretty crappy
    I run at high speeds all the time and remember at least on mine its less then a quart so it gets used more then something with 5 quarts

cheap insurance
  18. Bar None

Oddometer:
    150cc engine holds one quart. 6000cc holds 6 quarts. High speeds? Who are you kidding?:rofl
  19. Mikegigabyte

Oddometer:

sorry bro mine is 800ml less then a quart
    and I bet my 155 will smoke any 150cc china scoot
    it does any gy6 ruckus I come across

oh and 10000 rpm 70 mph is my max I get to, unlike shifter bikes you could be 2500 rpm 70mph so do the math
    I run harder
  20. bbishoppcm

bbishoppcm It ain't a moped.

Oddometer:
    I change the oil in my Helix every 1,000 miles and I use that Deep Purple stuff. I change my oil because the Helix has no oil filter (and for that matter, neither does the original VW boxer engine...) It's cheap insurance, and my engine is extremely clean as a result. But I know damn well I could stretch it to like, 3,000 miles... but I'd rather just pay the $10 a month and simply change it.