A Chinese 150cc Scooter Saga

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Reposado1800, Mar 6, 2011.

1. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    One day mainland Chinese scooters will be worth it but not the ones I've seen so far, parked, or broken down. That does sour new riders on the whole experience. I'd never buy a bike that I had to replace fuel lines and adjust everything right way. And the way they rust and fade and generally look like shit within seconds of signing the paper work is amazing. Its a shit attitude they have I think. They can make great stuff, if they want to or have a contract to do so, but not yet. They also need better marketing and such: I often see a rusty scooter called the "Tank" - (at least it seems to run). And some made up giant sticker on it that says XB125QRH3000xtiMkIV or I could easily imagine seeing "Sex-Boss" or something.

I don't know who is confusing Taiwan with mainland China - but most high quality bike frames are made in Taiwan. Maybe they are branching out to the mainland now, but they will keep the quality up. I think Sym, from Taiwan (former Honda license builder) may also now build on the mainland too.
  2. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, that's not it. Generic Chinese scooters are cheap, why would they lose money making a better scooter than what they were paid for?

There are several "banding companies" selling those scooters on this side of the world. They are the ones ordering the scooters from the Chinese manufacuturers, and they are also the ones who specify the requirements and price point for said scooter.

Yamaha, Honda and Suziki have joint ventures in China building bikes with the same quality level as those made in their factories somewhere else in the world. But those same factories, the joint ventures, also build generic scooters, why? Because there is someone that ordered them.

You can get scooters with the same quality as a Taiwanese, Korean or even a Japanese scooter... But why would you? Price would be around the same, but without a good brand to justify the price.
  3. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    As contrary as it sounds I agree with you, I just didn't write it clearly. Although have seen loads of crap quality bikes in China itself, most of what appears here in the US, if not at all, are type contract bikes. I suppose what I meant was that one day there will be a mainland Chinese scooter here that will be the equal of the Italian, Taiwanese and Japanese brands (wherever built) and may cost less than them - and have a dealer network. Maybe there will be a quality Chinese scooter factory in Mexico just for this purpose, producing for all of the Americas. Chinese development in SA is now very significant.
  4. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    chinese factories can build anything to any spec. they just dont. they build cheap scooters to cheap specs because thats what sells.

however, i reckon they probably arent any worse than all bikes were 30 or 40 years ago. back in the day when you had to be mechanically inclined to own a motorcycle and couldnt just buy a japanese bike and do nothing but change the oil for 100k miles.

most of the problems with chinese scoots in my experience are not catastrophic. they usually suffer small annoying problems that the owner either cant fix or just gives up eventually. if you are mechanically inclined and enjoy a little maintenance then they can serve you well.

plus, with them being so cheap you can get a new one every couple years and be no worse off lol
  5. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know...I had seven different Honda motorcycles back in the day and besides changing oil the only maintenance I had to do was count the wheels every now and again to make sure I still had two.

They were trouble free and just ran forever. :D
  6. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see the chinese haters own a p-series vespa.
  7. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I am glad your scoot is holding up for you Clayjars!!

I have had nothing but great times on my ZNEN made ssr rowdy. No problems since the sparkplug issue on mine. I never changed any of the factory hoses either. I plan on keeping it even after getting my 86 helix.

Contrary to most opinions about these scooters Mine has been a champ. I still want to add farkles to it but since I Got the helix I do not feel like I want to do anything but ride it as is it.

I know the damn think handles better and is way more comfortable than the helix. I Really miss the back rest on the ssr while riding the helix.
  8. wanna bECO

wanna bECO Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen a big ruck clone here in phoenix advertised as a "puma" quite reasonable, does anyone have any info about the Puma brand.:ear
  9. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Got pics of said Puma brand rucklone?

I know some of their better scooters are ZNEN manufactured but that's about it.
  10. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    I dunno if it's the same brand as the one you saw, but there's a thread on a member experience with his chinese big ruck on this subforum.'

He seems pretty happy with it.

Edit:

Here we go.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710880
  11. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    That's my Chinese Rucklone. Yes I am very happy with it. It isn't a puma branded bike but a Ssr bike.

Whatever you get try to get it from a real brick and mortar shop that stands behind what they sell and knows how to work on them.
  12. ArtCuisin

ArtCuisin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've read this entire thread and I'm wondering what is the approximate
    total additional cost of repairs including all the ebay-sourced parts'
    shipping charges.

Contrary to what some have suggested, I don't see this adventure as
    being cheap compared to even a new SH150, an admittedly high-priced
    Honda. For example, it is not uncommon to have switch-gear on
    a 40 (!!!) year-old Honda work just fine, hosed with water or not.
    That is a very long time to have something like that work. Somebody
    in another thread mentioned a Honda Silverwing with almost 300K
    miles on it. Those are a lot of miles. You get my point.

So I see this Chinese scooter purchase and the result of living
    with it as the adventure, as someone has already said, of living
    back in the day when motorcycling required a lot of daring just
    to get to another town 10 miles away. And, like many roughing-it
    adventures, it may sound cheap from one perspective, but the
    basic-needs costs start to add up and then surpass a more
    lavish, less-adventurous vacation.

Now if one would start out with an almost free Chinese scooter
    that had already frustrated a less mechanically-inclined mere
    mortal, then the bare-bones, low-cost perspective would hold
    more water, in my humble opinion. But I do agree that
    buying new made for a more interesting thread in that
    it eliminated the possilbility of problems resulting from
    previous owner abuse. I'm just saying the results of the
    OP should be perhaps taken by others and prompt them
    to start out with an almost-free used Chinese scooter
    (as opposed to a new one) with the hope that the previous
    owner was more the abused than the abuser. That is,
    unless cost is really not the point anyway, and maybe
    it isn't.
  13. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done the China Scoot thing, and really buying a used Honda is cheaper and a better deal. I couldn't give mine away. Come to think of it, a USED Chinascoot, given the extremely low price, may not be a bad deal for someone who knows how to jet a carb and replace a wheel bearing.
  14. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:

See my thread please. All in all I spent around $100 in parts...

BUT, I have a bunch of tools and if I hadn't already had those tools, I'd had spent quite a bit of money on tools... Or paying someone to fix it. Actually the only repair that required "heavy" tools was replacing the clutch, a 36mm socket and an air impact gun (with a compressor, obviously).

Cheaper than a Honda? Well, yes. Even in the long run the parts won't add up to the price of a SH150... But you'll always own a crappy scooter.

In the end, what did it for me were the two brake failures...

Safety I can't put a price tag on.
  15. Süsser Tod

Süsser Tod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Putting the safety thing aside...

Yes, it can be done. I did it when I first started riding, my first bikes were Chinese and I couldn't afford better at the time... That's also why I'm a profficient shadetree mechanic.

The cheapest option is the used Chinese scooter. Chinese scooters and resale values are not two words used often in the same sentence, you can get them very cheap... Heck, even new they are stupidly cheap in the USA. Then you just need to spend little money keeping it running, and that's about it.

BUT, if this thing is going to actually become a workhorse/commuter, forget about it. Back then I had two bikes, like in the Harley Davidson joke, a second one for those times the first one is broken. Two bikes just don't make sense if you're trying to save money.
  16. Woodsrat

Woodsrat Gone ridin'

Oddometer:
    I mentioned that 150cc Chinese scooter like the OP bought were available locally for under $700. The retailer in Milan, IN, (Dirt Cheap ATV's) doesn't offer those right now but has a 150cc scooter with 10" wheels that kinda-sorta looks like a 50 for $659 plus Indiana sales tax in the box.

Just to cast temptation at you...
  17. acworthpatrick

acworthpatrick n00b

Oddometer:
    2 years ago after losing my car in bankruptcy and being desperate for transportation I purchased this 2010 Kaitong Boccia (Chinese GY6 150cc) scooter from a local shop. This thing has been my savior and I was told I would be lucky to get 5000 miles from it, but for 899.00 it didn't sound bad and the dealership gave a 6 month warranty. Well its now August 2012 and its still running great at 26,000 miles and I've learned to do maintenance myself as well, oil changes, belt changes and transmission oil. It goes 45 to 50mph easily and I can push it to 55 and even 60 if its downhill when needed. People always try to convince me its reading in KM's, but its miles and I know this because its 36 miles one way to work and it logs 36.2 so its very accurate. The speedometer is not accurate however, basically your going 10mph slower than it says. When I am cruising around at 50mph, it says right at 60mph. I was excited to when I learned how to remove the front and rear wheels so I could save money on tire replacements to. I find it interesting reading through this thread and the reference to Gates belts - I had a terrible experience to. I put one on and it shredded and made a mess and left me stranded with 1800 miles. The Chinese belts last 4000 and I changed them when the manual said to and never has one shredded or failed. I've never tried the Kevlar belts though.
    I buy them from a local Scooter shop in Alpharetta, GA buy my office (Monster GY6).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love this little bike and will forever be grateful to the hard times it got me through when I couldn't afford anything else. I still ride it everyday now rain or shine and pocket the 400 a month I would spend on car payments, 400 for gas, and 50 for insurance and will continue to do so until this thing blows up :)
    LE Trainer likes this.
  18. acworthpatrick

acworthpatrick n00b

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to mention to that with such great success on my first one, I bought another GY6 150cc powered trike.
    I have just over 3000 miles so far, but its been trouble free and I really enjoy riding it. Gives "Little Red" a well deserved break. It has an FM 4 speaker stereo system built in with a plug for you ipod to, keeps you warm and dry when the weather sucks. Best part is your like a celebrity when you ride it, everyone taking pictures of you, stopping to ask you about it at red lights lol....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  19. seantx

seantx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a very good endorsement. 26K miles is probably more than 90% of the Japanese/US/Euro bikes in this country. 26K miles in the ATL metro area too - not exactly a leisurely country ride.
  20. acworthpatrick

acworthpatrick n00b

Oddometer:
    Those miles came from 3 sources mainly, 70 miles a day round trip to work 5 days a week, going to the gym most nights which is 12 miles round trip and going to my parents house almost every Saturday for dinner which is 40 miles round trip. She never gets a day off.

Well until I got the Automoto a few months ago :D