A Chinese 150cc Scooter Saga

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by Reposado1800, Mar 6, 2011.

1. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I understand the question?

But I was proposing that Damn near all of the safety glasses made in China. They should be easy to get.
  2. Shepski

Shepski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a house in Greece and i am quite good friends with the owner of one of the largest scooter renters in Greece.

Now there scooters get a real beating mainly 125cc, the tourists rent them for a week and basically drive them flat out and everywhere, and crashed regularly . He told me that they trialled a few china scooters that were provided by the local importers, and that they were total rubbish, constantly breaking down and falling apart from new!.

He told me that any of the Jap brands in particular Honda are all good, as are Kymco in particular, parts are cheap and they are very tough 100,000Kms with just regular oil and filters, he does not run Sym but heard that they are also very good.

He said Piaggio are also good but parts particularly body parts are pricey and they need more maintenance particularly belt changes.

his fleet which is over 1000 scooters was being standardised because of ownership experiences into Honda and Kymco. His advice to me do not touch a China scooter. Pay a little bit extra for quality.
  3. Cat0020

Cat0020 El cheapo

Oddometer:
    Most Chinese people have smaller exposed eye surface area in comparison to caucasian, not as much need for safety glasses. :lol3

My 2008 China-scoot has over 18k miles on it, still has the OEM battery, never let me down... just one data point.
  4. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    I have had less trouble with my ZNEN big ruckus Clone than I have had with Hondas I have purchased new. Everything is detailed in my huge thread in this section.

I have had one major issue of the plug blowing out of the head right after I bought it. It was fixed right away and 10k later it has been fine other than self inflicted damage. I ride this thing all the time rain or shine. Couldn't say the same for the Cam chain issues, shoddy Chrome work and variator issues I have had on new hondas.

I love Hondas for sure but also know anyone can build a lemon.

Stay away from the no name flea market chinese bikes and find a good dealer and you will be alright. If I had money right now I would get a ZNEN 250 Scoot in a heart beat and that's based off of my past 3 years with my ZNEN.
  5. AMAC1680

AMAC1680 Outdoorsman, advocate, paraplegic

Oddometer:
    Just haven some fun, relax china scoot guys.

I had a china "scam-am" reverse trike that had 8k miles on it before I got taken out by a Yukon last march. It wa a cool scoot but I needed to stay on top of the thing.

Be Big,
    AMAC
  6. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Holy carp! Were you on it? I keep seeing these goofy viper sit down side by side 250cc trikes and am interested in one.

What I am more interested in is the gsxr engines I see being stuffed into them..

Hell even this one is bad ass.
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=l9RAW86-Mjo
  7. AMAC1680

Oddometer:
    Yes I was on it. Hit the pavement at 35-40 mph trike totaled. Helmet , armored jacket and Kevlar jeans shredded on the left side.

Two things helped.
    First ATGATT. from time to time I would "cheat" when on the trike. Thankfully I didn't that day. Very little road rash.
    Second diminished sensation below the waist from a spinal cord injury 10 years ago. Had I had full feeling it would have hurt, a lot !

The trike was cool, 50 mph top speed. That little 250 had to push a very heavy trike with three auto tires. It handled like a snowmobile. No computer to keep those front wheels on the ground. Front end took forever to set up. Always was wrenching on it.

That said people noticed. Everyone waved! It was a load of fun.

As for the dude with the Nina conversion.
    That's insane. The thing was "squirrely" at 45 mph I can't imagine it at 70. Bigger balls than I have even partly paralyzed.

Be Big,
    AMAC
  8. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Well I am glad you are alright for the most part and had the gear on.

The Vid link was a conversion done on the two seater Kandi reverse trike. (3 Wheeled car)

I assume a bunch of steering finaglling was done with that thing for those speeds.
  9. Just Max

Just Max I put the F in luck

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a gy6 oil filter cross reference number? My googlefu has let me down so far..
  10. tortoise2

tortoise2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to the strainer screen?
  11. Just Max

Oddometer:
    No. Unfortunately I wasn't.

I just picked up a Chinese buggy for my 9 yo. It has what I believe to be a gy6 scooter motor -the kick start. I Googled for an oil filter and got a number. It never occurred to me that these things don't have filters. .. Guess that explains why they are hard to find - must be a special application.

So I checked the book. Draining the oil by tipping the buggy back. Great.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the hijack.
  12. AMAC1680

Oddometer:
    It looks to me like its a lawnmower/snowblower motor not a Gy6

http://www.lctusa.com/page.cfm?sp=thumbs&sort=dis&sv=136

Be Big,
    AMAC
  13. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
  14. AMAC1680

Oddometer:
  15. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
  16. Just Max

Oddometer:
    Yep. Thanks for the help. Going to grab a quart of straight 30 weight.

[​IMG]
  17. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    Funniest lookin snowblower engine I have ever seen! :wink: J/K

Use 15w40. I use the Super tech Diesel oil found at Walmart. It's usually $3 a quart. If it has a oil filter screen, clean it with starter fluid or gumout and used compressed air to dry it.

Don't use anything made for wet clutches. Keep it changed regularly And if the engine is new have him stay out of the pipe except for some few short burst's for several rides. Have fun!
  18. Just Max

Oddometer:

How bout the rotella t6 5w-40? Too thin?

Edit: 'cause I'm looking at some.
  19. AMAC1680

Oddometer:
  20. deezildennis

deezildennis Its a what?

Oddometer:
    No use 15w40 5w40 is to thin.

Walmart or autozone will work.