A comparison between two very popular Japanese Adv bikes

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dirtytroll, Aug 22, 2020.

1. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many has asked for this one. Finally I did it, enjoy :clap

Stellmon and fastnlight like this.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    No comparison, I sincerely doubt any one asked for it either

T7 is in a league of its own in comparison

Yawn,
  3. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually a lot of my channel subscribers has asked for this comparison. Many of them owns a CB500X and wonder if they should upgrade it with RR parts or buy a new T7. The answer is not obvious. I know as I own both bikes. But if you are a "fanboy type" motorcycle owner it may be difficult to see some advantages of other bikes than that one you own :D
    Night_Wolf, muddy, Robotaz and 5 others like this.
  4. Garry H

Garry H Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep having owned a level 3 rally raid honda for 3 years. Then got the T7 the T7 is loads better
    Honda is boring T7 is just fun fun fun

IMHO Don't wast you money upgrading the honda...Just buy the T7
  5. Volute

Volute Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comparison Sven, it's great seeing a fully upgraded CB500X RR next to the Tenere 700. Which one puts a bigger grin on your face when riding?
    dceggert, lithodave and dirtytroll like this.
  6. Gedrog

Gedrog 1000 mile stare a 1000 stories to tell

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comparison I always saw the CB500X as an entry level adventure bike the Rally Raid suspension and wheel upgrade makes it more capable dirt worthy
    However I feel there is huge market for a more dirt worthy lightweight CB500 like the CRF500L that the guys build, a factory version of it would be an awesome bike and I would seriously consider it as a RTW little horse light on fuel make it 50KG's lighter and you have a winner
    dirtytroll and BLZ2DWL like this.
  7. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you are right. If a rider prefers boring to fun fun fun stick with the Honda. The engine in the Yamaha is vastly superior to the Honda no matter how you slice it. But, if you don't care about that keep the 500.
    dirtytroll likes this.
  8. Brokenhorse

Brokenhorse Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sold my RR CBX and waiting for Tenere. Funny tie because of no bike now lol.
    The Honda was too small for my 6' and 34" inseam, too underpowered above 5000' elevation, could easily outride the RR suspension, and a VERY difficult resale with a great loss of $$.
    Honda is best for someone 5'10" or under, easy riding style, and lives at low elevation, and less than 175 pounds or so imho.
    Tenere might get here after our snow and ice which is frustrating!
  9. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guarantee these Thailand Factory project 5X’s were not boring off road.
    Honda just needs a production bike with upgraded suspension, 9” travel, and 10” ground clearances . . . under 420 lbs. It has a peppy, quick-revving engine. . .
    1A1694BF-A8D5-4E65-965F-20D9FE48362B.jpeg
    Night_Wolf, eakins, Hannda and 2 others like this.
  10. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    In fairness, it's not a dual sport. RR sells a kit to turn it into one, but it comes from the factory as a street bike with easy dirt road capability. People ride Harley's on dirt roads too but that doesn't make them dirt bikes. Slamming the 500x because it can't compete with a bike that was engineered to be an off-road beast seems silly.
    Laconic, Night_Wolf, squish and 6 others like this.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I still don't get why Honda didn't plug that motor into a beefed up CRF250L Rally frame, they would have sold thousands. Instead they made a Rebel 500.... :puke1
    ACR, mcmann, Meet@Trudys and 4 others like this.
  12. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would it be close to 400#'s. The price would be ?? . The same as a 450L with eh suspension and more with 450L suspension. It would be a sweet little bike regardless .
    Hannda likes this.
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My guess is it wouldn't be much lighter than the Yamaha but would cost less, and be widely available.
    Hannda likes this.
  14. TimmyTheHog

TimmyTheHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had a feeling they were gambling on the LARGE DUAL SPORT segment instead of SMALL ADV...

Not saying it is wrong, but rather, the LARGE Dual Sport nowadays slightly less popular than the SMALL

I don't mind the Rebel 500 but honestly they should have used the 750 engine for it and leave the sub 500 with more dirt oriented model.
    eakins likes this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    If Honda brought their a-game suspension (at least B+) & spoke wheels (19 is fine), they could have a compelling ADV that many would buy.

As is they 1/2 baked it with this update and cheaped out. No idea why the make decisions like that???
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    They lingered on the AT and felt the market was all going big beast ADV...in the meantime the market shifted quickly to wanting small to mid-size.

Why? Older dudes don't want big heavy bikes, younger dudes don't want big expensive complex machines.

Who's left buying big beasts? Guys in the middle age who where sold on them.
    I've meet soooo many in the last few years sick of big heavy ADV bikes, they all want to downsize to ride more unique areas.

At the beginning of big rides/tour they are all chest pumpy on their superior big bikes to my smaller toy motos. Then they are all smoked and shot after some serious riding and admit a smaller bike might be better.....

Many are legit long distance advrs are focusing these days on big thumpers and sporting them out with long distance comforts so you really can actually go on an adventure ride, not just look like you can on too big of a bike.

At a certain you need no more power nor weight, it becomes your liability!

Hopefully all the MFG figure this out.
    mcmann, Cruz and Hannda like this.
  17. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I think the market was the emerging markets of new riders vs ADV.

But yeah they could have done better as the X = Nissan Murano of the ADV world.

The market is changing rapidly and so these long drawn out bike releases will only hurt MFG being behind the curve. The Chinese actually react faster to new machines these days. Loncin has a 500 twin and Zongshen has a 450 thumper. I suspect more joint ventures will arise and quickly build what the market is buying now.
  18. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    They have sold thousands of Rebel 500 s though. Much like HD with their 500. Bringing more new riders into the very lucrative cruiser scene for them.
    Night_Wolf and Hannda like this.
  19. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have considered the CB5X RR if it was offered as a production model. The T7 feels very light after getting off my AT . . . but would feel very heavy if I was getting off a DR650 to ride the T7.

F61DE3F9-5A9C-45B5-94A4-D0B468119AAB.jpeg
  20. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I live right at 3500' ASL and ride well over 5000 ASL with no issues, even with a passenger on my CB 500X. Yes I have to play with the shifter a bit more but to say it's under powered? How much power does one need. I had ONE complaint with the CB 500X and it's the same complaint I had with my previous Wee Stroms: Chain Drive. I fixed that this past June with a new shaft drive bike & the CB 500X has a new owner as of this past Friday evening

P.S. height is only part of the issue; while you may be 6' with a 32" inseam I know many who are 6'+ with a much shorter 30" or shorter inseam. I'm only 5'7" so while you have 5" in height on me, you only have 2"s of extra inseam
    Cruz likes this.