1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A comparison between two very popular Japanese Adv bikes

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by dirtytroll, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Did you buy a 850TT?
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  2. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Yes took delivery on June 23rd of the V85 TT Travel Edition. I'm finding there are MG "snobs" too who absolutely worship at the altar of MG and anything else lacks "character" :baby They really don't like me defending the Wee Strom & CB 500X. Like I keep saying, when I start seeing the new V85 with well over 100,000 miles which MANY Wee Stroms have done & a few 500Xs too, then we'll talk. I like my new bike, I LOVE the shaft drive; I will NEVER slam the Wee Strom or the 500X. Great bikes in their own right
    mcmann and Cruz like this.
  3. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    So close to buying one myself but things took a turn and I picked up something else. The 85TT was very nice to ride and appeared well made and finished. Also was rapt in my 500X RR for 7 years, just couldn't keep 3 bikes.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Service costs vary widely from Province to Province in Canada, haven't seen as big a difference in US service costs. Local "Stealer" wanted $600 for my 1st service, so I learned to do the valves myself & saved myself $535. Off the shelf, there is very little I needed/wanted to add to the Travel edition. A lower shock will be ordered when I get back to working & possibly a "Y" pipe to decat (a lot of heat on the feet). Since I just sold my CB 500X the top case shown went with that bike & I have a new Kappa KRG 52 L top case on order. It's shape better suits the OEM luggage IMNSHO

My local dealer has sold 5 V85's AFAIK, but I have only seen one other on the road so far & he also purchased the Travel edition

IMG_20200905_141248913.jpg

Kappa KRG 52 liter case

kappa_top_case.jpg
    Bors and mcmann like this.
  5. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    At one time there was no way I would trailer a bike, now it would depend upon time limits for a trip. 460 km (285 mi) to a tank on the V85 is a very good range & yea I'm not camping unless the bike is in the back of our toy hauler

I installed chain oilers on every chain drive bike that I have owned, as I know I don't have the discipline to properly lube it otherwise. 45,000 km on both Wee Stroms on the original chain, says that method works for me
    Laconic, Hannda and mcmann like this.
  6. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    Peter at Meerkat Mufflers in Gympie Australia does the decat and also owns and is very happy with his 85TT. He does excellent work.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I have a feeling shipping from Australia would be cost prohibitive
  8. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    He sends most of his work overseas.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  9. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Might have to drop him a note. Do a google search or does he have a FB page that you know?
  10. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
  11. tomo8r

tomo8r Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the only way to lube.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  12. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I can't believe the number of people, who I meet, who don't know such an item even exists. A couple of the people who looked at the CB 500X, when I had it for sale had never heard of one.
  13. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    dceggert likes this.
  14. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    The OEM chain on my V-Strom went 39K miles. I lube it religiously after I get home from a ride or stop for the night on a trip. When I remember to... :fpalm

My Versys' chain was abused for 30K miles before it gave up. I think many people over think this chain lube issue. You keep it clean, sort of lubed, it just works. No doubt, a shaft drive is more convenient, but it has different costs associated with maintenance and wear.

Gustavo
    Hannda and Night_Wolf like this.
  15. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    My 1st stock Wee Strom chain was only swapped, as I had a set on hand & a trusted mechanic, before I moved to Alberta. It had one tight link. The 2nd Wee Strom was sold with the Stock chain still going strong at 45,000. Chain oilers are the only reason I got that life span. I prefer a shaft drive bike, even if I had to pay a premium to get it