A Couple of KTM 950 Questions

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by JediBri, Mar 8, 2004.

1. JediBri

JediBri Glory to GOD

Oddometer:
    My silver 950 is the funnest street bike I've ever had, but I have a couple of questions. Has anyone out there experienced the following:

* Darkish coolant color? My dealer said KTM coats the inside of the radiator with something. Over time the coolant color has turned a really dark green. I'm not using any fluid...

* Occasional chatter with oil light flashing when starting hot? The oil level is at the upper mark and it stops after I rev the throttle a few times. My dealer did use Elf Syn 10W40 at 600mi. Is the difference between 10W40 and 10W50 enough to possibly cause this? I do have Motorex Power Syn 4T 10W50 on the way.

Thanks!
  2. Wayne Weber

Wayne Weber why are we stopping?

Oddometer:
    No idea on the coolant, mine is 3000 miles and still green. The oil DOES matter, I ran...I think 10W40 synthetic after break in an noticed the clatter, it seems the oil pump or camchain tensioners like the thick stuff. I changed mine after one ride to 20W50 and it's been perfect since. I can't remember the brand right now, nothing fancy, just 20W50 synthetic.

If your dealer is Fay Meyers, well, just don't listen to them. Ever.
  3. JediBri

JediBri Glory to GOD

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wayne! The occasional clatter had me worried. It's nice to know the propper weight oil will solve this. :beer

Brian