A Couple of Questions from a new GSA/DMC Rig Owner

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by TMac99, Oct 12, 2020.

1. TMac99

TMac99 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was lucky enough to buy a great 2017 GSA/DMC rig from a fellow inmate (photos below). I have a couple of questions some of you more experienced folks may be able to help with. In no particular order:

1. I am looking for tire pressure recommendations (to use as a starting point) for the rig. Usual load is 1 200 lb person and 100 lbs of gear.
    - pusher tire is Michelin XZX all-weather radial size 165/SR 15
    - sidecar tire is Michelin XZX all-weather radial size 165/SR 15
    - front tire is Michelin Commander II 160/70B17 (has DMC widened front end)

2. Is there any way to turn off the TPMS (aka RDC) warnings?

3. Does anyone know what the mysterious black box shown in photos 3 & 4 is (2 views of the same box). This is under the front seat. The rig has after market Touratech ESA suspension, front and rear - could it be part of that system?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

BJMoose, Miggins1 and Bar None like this.
  2. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Hey was that Mike’s hack?
  3. TMac99

Oddometer:
    Yep, assuming you are talking about Mike H
    GR8ADV likes this.
  4. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Others may disagree with me but for what it's worth, have a look at your tyres and check what ply the sidewall is.

On the rear if it's only a 1 ply sidewall ( like mine ) I usually have at least 40 psi so I can stop the sidewall from distorting as much as possible otherwise it will feel like you have a flat tyre even when not cornering.

Even on the sidecar tyre if it's only a 1ply sidewall tyre, up the pressures.

BTW my outfit is a K1100 so around the same weight as your outfit but I'm a bit heavier than you.
    davebig and TMac99 like this.
  5. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    The Michelin XZX is an ancient tire model! I had a set on my Triumph (car) back in the '70's! :D

A 165SR15 is pretty much the same as a 165/80-15 if you want to change to a more modern design. However, here in the USA, there aren't very many tires available in this size and most of those are Chinese tires with less well-known histories. Many of us have jumped up (or down) to 175/65-15's where you can find more diversity, better UTQG ratings, and more availability, though they are a little shorter (ride height about 3/4" lower). If you go this route, you may have to adjust your setup to compensate.

But you only wanted to know about pressures, right? And here I am going off about alternatives! For the sidecar tire, they are not overly picky about pressures. 25-35 lbs. For the pusher, it carries a big weight load, so I wouldn't start out less than 35 lbs cold. What's the max pressure printed on the sidewall? I don't recommend running at max, but 5 lbs under max (cold) would be an OK upper limit for me to allow for those really hot roads in high summer.

You didn't ask, but your pictures show the front end to be low. On the earlier GS's, a simple DeDome mod would fix that. Not so easy on the waterboxers. Maybe a little bigger spring on the front shock might reduce the sag?

Your front tire is a beast, rated at 800 lb load, can be run at whatever works for you. 40 lbs will give you lighter steering. 35 lbs will give you a bigger contact patch and maybe a little less feedback through the grips.

On the TPMS warnings, my BMW dealer told me they can't be turned off, and the forum pretty much confirmed this, but mine's a 2008. I think a call to your local BMW dealer's Service Manager would be in order. On the other hand, you can actually buy the OEM tire valves from BMW and install them in your rims. Expensive, but not a bad solution.

The black box questions can be answered in the G-Spot. Jim Von Baden will know.
    brstar and TMac99 like this.
  6. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    FWIW. I believe the bike has the lowered TT suspension and the DMC 6k front end mod. Unless everybody knew that already.
    TMac99 likes this.
  7. CCjon

CCjon Gypsy Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That black box is for your tractive suspension.

I turned off the TPMS by disconnecting the control box located under the panel behind your seat. On my 2015 GSA it was mounted on top of the rear fender/mud guard. Now I get a blank reading but no warning lights. Like you am running a car tire as pusher and a rear MC tire upfront.

Look looking rig, congratulations of a good choice of rigs.
    Strong Bad and TMac99 like this.
  8. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have to confirm but my new TPMS tool has BMW motos listed and programable sensors. Might be a cheap way to get the light out and have at least two tires being read for pressure. I believe a GS911 tool can program sensors too but probably just BMW ones.
    TMac99 likes this.
  9. TMac99

Oddometer:
    What is your "new TPMS tool"? Is it a commercially available tool, or something you made yourself?
  10. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    There's a variety of TPMS tools available on Amazon (where else?). Some as cheap as $10 [LINK] and fancy ones that cost hundreds [LINK]. Finding one that works with your bike is the key.
    TMac99 likes this.
  11. MGV8

Oddometer:
    At the shop we have two, an older Autel, and a Bartec 400. We do a lot of tires and TPMS sensor replacement. Something any repair shop has to have these days. I think it was somewhere around a 1000.00 bucks Canadian plus updates. Cheap when it comes to shop tools these days. !!!!
    TMac99 likes this.
  12. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Batteries died on my 07 GSA TPS sensors. Now I’ve got to find a guy with a tire machine to swap them out or perhaps bail on them altogether. Last night I pulled the cover under the passenger seat. Like everything else on a beemer, what a pain taking the pannier rack off to get the cover off. I disconnected the controller, but the yellow light on the dash remained on. Not sure if I need to drive it down the block or dig out my GS911 and try to clear it? I guess it will give me something to do today.
  13. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Plugged in the GS-911 got a TPS fault, cleared it and unplugged the controller. Run diagnostics again and there now is a TPS controller fault. So unplugging the controller doesn't seem to work with an 07 GSA.
    TMac99 likes this.
  14. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I've had the yellow light on my 08 GSA for 6 years now.
    BJMoose and Strong Bad like this.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Well I guess I'll just have to extend the electrical tape that hides the ABS failure red light to cover the yellow light too.
    davebig, BJMoose, Miggins1 and 2 others like this.
  16. TMac99

Oddometer:
    So what I have discovered so far is that disconnecting the RDC (aka TPMS) black box got rid of the red TPMS warning light. I still have the orange caution light, but I don't know if that is TPMS related as I also have a "Service" caution that would also turn on the orange caution light. As soon as I get my GS911 and reset the service reminder, I will know whether or not disconnecting the RDC unit will get rid of the TPMS orange caution also. This is in a 2017 GSA.
  17. MGV8

Oddometer:
    I suspect that the RDC will have to be on-line and have no faults for all the lights to clear. The Daisy chain of communication with various modules is necessary to keep every one happy. If one is off line it will create faults in the others. Hence the warning light. If you don't want to fix things so that all the systems are happy then Black tape is your friend. :D
    Strong Bad, brstar and TMac99 like this.
  18. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Get some friction tape like we used to use on baseball bat handles. It will add to the rugged look of your rig.......... :-)
  19. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been living with that light since I got my rig. I hardly even notice it anymore. The guys at my not-so-local BMW shop expressed no enthusiasm when I presented them with the question of removing the module. Kinda - blah $ blah blah $$$ very difficult, blah black magic. I did not feel confident.
    If anyone solves this please publish the solution.
    MGV8 and davebig like this.
  20. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works Supporter

Oddometer:
    I should mention that I check tire pressures with a gauge regularly.
    36psi front 32psi rear (car tire 175 / 65 r15) 25psi SC (same car tire).
    CCjon and TMac99 like this.