A different OBDR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ChiefH134, Aug 23, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ChiefH134

ChiefH134 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like most on here my riding my buddies and I constantly dream of riding to Alaska or puting life on hold and riding across Europe. As a multigenerational trio with decades of riding stories we have been riding the OBDR every year since discovering adventure bikes. (RIP 990 adv)

It's not as glamorous and doesn't grab the epic rider headlines like riding from Mongolia to Normandy but I could ride Oregon every year till I die and still be finding new amazing roads. God bless Oregon for their paved mountain roads and dirt two tracks that are smoother than California's i5. And that doesn't even behind to comment on the copious OHV trail options.

So if you spend more time planning than riding and agonizing over the perfect route I would encourage you to just get on your bike and ride. This past week we didn't hit even 10% of our planned route nor did we cover one mile of the official OBDR. But we ended 1200 miles of beautiful scenery triple digits heat too near freezing rain, epic sunsets and another lifetime of campfire stories.

If you need a reset on life and to just plain escape, grab a map leave for Oregon and ride gas stop to gas stop navigating as you go and solving each challenge as it comes. The official OBDR is great but don't get tunnel vision there is allot out there and it's all worth exploring.

Also to the GS guy who said he'd never seen tourtechs on a KTM before :dunnotime to go beyond Starbucks my friend. Dare to leave the pavement.

Attached Files:

Humunn, shuswap1, liv2day and 2 others like this.
  2. ChiefH134

ChiefH134 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    More picts

Attached Files:

3. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    A reset on life - that's brilliant. I completely echo your sentiment, though don't let the word get out there too widely...we already have too many people moving here :lol3 :lol3

Great pics and so cool to cover that amount of ground and the variety of climates we have in our backyard.

If you have the time and desire, it'd be sweet to read the day by day bits and pieces. Pictures tell a bunch of the story, but given your writing style in the intro, I'm guessing you'd add a fun story to go along with those shots.

Good on you for getting out and doing it @ChiefH134, looks like you guys had a fantastic ride :thumb