1. eNewsletter Sign Up

A DR 650 wanders AZ and the West

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Atagrob, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Atagrob

Atagrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will predict that this will be a thread about what do, where to go, what not to do and where not to go.......

I'm fairly dyslexic so expect the spelling mistakes. If grammar and spelling is a pet peeve of yours move along this is not the thread you are looking for.....

The bike is a 2018 DR 650. Currently stock but I have no less then 5 inbound packages full of fun stuff to make it more adventure worthy.

Bike build will be documented here. I'm no fabricator so it will mostly be what I choose to buy and bolt on. Hopefully it will help others learn what would work or not work for them.

Home base is Chandler Arizona.

The goal is maximum fun with minimum suffering. While the DR is highway capable, Phoenix is surrounded by wide open desert, 75 mph speed limits and everyone drive 80 to 90 mph out side of town. Not ideal for an air/oil cooled 650 single on soon to be knobbies. So sometimes the bike will get put in the back of the truck to cover the wide open spaces, then ride the fun stuff.

Let the wandering begin.........
    dammitdave and ADK like this.
  2. Atagrob

Atagrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3/20/2020
    Social distancing and the maiden trip. Rode out Power RD to N Bush Highway. Right on 87 to Cline Cabin Rd which an entrance to the Four Peaks Wilderness Area of the Tonto National Forest. Lots of people had the same idea I did. Jeeps, truck, family SUVs, quads, side by sides and 1 DR 650!

Four Peaks.jpg
    The goal Four Peaks for obvious reasons.

Salt River.jpg

Salt River flowing well. Lots of rain this winter so we should have a spectacular spring in the desert.

H2O 4 Peaks Rd.jpg

Lots of flowing water crossings. Learned two lessons today.

1) Check the weather in the spring it can actually be chilly in AZ. Adding elevation makes matters worse. Route was cut short because I got cold! Only had a light t-shirt and summer mesh jacket on.

2) Vented street boots are a very poor choice for spring rides with lots of water crossings. I quickly had wet cold feet. DR 4 Peaks Rd.jpg

My soon to be mighty steed in her natural environment.

Even though I turned around about 3/4s of the way up the front side the trip was a success. No one got hurt, nothing was broken on the bike and I made it home under my own power. Cold but none the worse for ware. Until the next adventure, ride safe.
  3. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    Get that thing dirty! Woohoo!!!
  4. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go for it!!!!!!
  5. Atagrob

Atagrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3/24/2020
    Well that didn't take long. In the what not to do category #1.

Don't run out of gas going 75 mph in the fast lane in a construction zone with no shoulders.......
    20200324_103608.jpg

I did safely navigate across 3 lanes while slowing quickly. Managed to get the bike up against the wall in the apex of a gentle turn in the highway.

Turn petcock to reserve start cranking....nothing. Try again.....nothing. Shed all my warm layers of clothing, change sunglasses for bifocals. Watch traffic carefully, think of an old high school friend who was killed changing a tire on I 95 in VA. Here the self doubt starts to trickle in...I think you just have to switch the petcock to reserve and you should get another usable 1/2 gallon or so....Try the bike again nothing....start to wonder how much more of this that little battery can take? No way to push the bike to a safer spot without getting killed. Made mental note to self, never get killed over a replaceable $4,000 motorcycle.

As reality is setting in my knights in shinning armor pull up in an ADOT motorist rescue truck. This accomplished 3 things; their truck blocked the whole lane behind my bike, they had gas and I was no longer afraid of killing the battery. Add a gallon of gas, crank away...nothing, try it again....nothing. Tell them I think it is flooded. Try it again......it catches a little, very encouraging....one more try and VROOM! we are back in business. Thank the gentleman from ADOT gather my belongings and head down the road.

To be continued......
    hock2e, Bhart89 and eaglescan like this.
  6. eaglescan

eaglescan Borrego rocks Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will read any AZ report, your area has so many good memories of my rides.
  7. Atagrob

Atagrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3/24/20 (cont.)
    After the little gas mishap (Research confirms 3.4 gallon tank - 0.8 gallon reserve = 2.6 gallons before reserve. About 45 mpg X 2.6 = 117 miles to reserve. I ran out at 115) the adventure continues!

Heading straight back to Four Peaks only dressed warmer.
    20200324_120926.jpg

Nice little stream. Even from 3 days ago water levels are dropping fast.

20200324_124904.jpg
    The Phoenix metro is about 1,100'. Gaining 4,600' would clearly explain the temperature drop. I switched to leather, water proof hiking boots, long sleeve shirt and wind proof liner for my mesh jacket. Comfortable all day. Warm motorcycle riders are happy motorcycle riders.

20200324_125753.jpg
    I bought the DR with full intentions of hard off road use. She will be no garage queen! So I give you evidence of the first of what I expect to be many dirt naps.

For educational purposes this is what happened. It was a hard packed dirt road with a thin layer of loose dirt/rocks on top. It was a down hill decreasing radius turn. I was going about 5 mph. I didn't negotiate the turn correctly and was going too wide. Tried to turn harder and apply front break. Lost the front wheel and she tucked under me.

The good news: I was in full gear. Helmet, gloves, dragon jeans, mesh jacket with full armor and heavy hiking boots. Impact on elbow and hand was handled by gloves and armor. Took a little light damage to skin on the hip through the jeans and must have hit foot peg with shin above the boot on up hill side. I will be upgrading to tall adventure boots and hip pads, otherwise I was happy with the results.

TBC....
  8. Atagrob

Atagrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3/24/20 Cont.
    20200324_132219.jpg

Roosevelt Lake from Top of SR 143

20200324_135353.jpg

Cool bridge on HYW 188.

20200324_135428.jpg

I have no idea what it is, except it is a beast! Just goes to show adventure doesn't require expensive motorcycles.
    20200324_135907.jpg

Backside of the dam between Roosevelt and Apache lake. This is also where Rt 88 empties out if you ride from Apache Junctions through Tortilla Flat. This will be an adventure for another day. Not sure if you can currently get all the way through. If anything can is a adv/dirt bike.

20200324_151225.jpg

Road food! Until next adventure, ride safe.
    Muscongus and SoCalAdventure like this.
  9. Atagrob

Atagrob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    3/24/20 Cont.

Forgot to include entire route.

Power Road to
    N Bush Highway to
    87 N - Beeline Highway to
    Cline Cabin Rd (Well marked entrance to Four Peaks)
    Cline Cabin Rd turns into Service Rd 143

Here it starts to get a little confusing if you use Google maps. On the ground it is fairly simple, straight forward and there are some signs. The key piece of information is 143 and El Oso Rd are the same. Follow signs off the top of the mountain for 188 and you will be fine.

Took a right on 188 followed it all the way to RT 60 in Globe and 60 back to the Metro.

The DR did fine at highway speeds. What wasn't so enjoyable was the lack of windscreen. Having to constantly lean forward into the wind made it more tiring then it needs to be. Windscreen will get added shortly.
  10. SoCalAdventure

SoCalAdventure Adventurer

Oddometer:
    View attachment 2203810
    I bought the DR with full intentions of hard off road use. She will be no garage queen! So I give you evidence of the first of what I expect to be many dirt naps.

For educational purposes this is what happened. It was a hard packed dirt road with a thin layer of loose dirt/rocks on top. It was a down hill decreasing radius turn. I was going about 5 mph. I didn't negotiate the turn correctly and was going too wide. Tried to turn harder and apply front break. Lost the front wheel and she tucked under me.

The good news: I was in full gear. Helmet, gloves, dragon jeans, mesh jacket with full armor and heavy hiking boots. Impact on elbow and hand was handled by gloves and armor. Took a little light damage to skin on the hip through the jeans and must have hit foot peg with shin above the boot on up hill side. I will be upgrading to tall adventure boots and hip pads, otherwise I was happy with the results.

TBC....[/QUOTE]

@Atagrob happens to all of us sooner or later. DR650 a fine ride but can be a wee bit top heavy especially at slow speeds. Once it starts to leaning it doesn't take long to tip over. You'll quickly learn to use the rear brake first, often, and hard when going slow into corners. Nothing like a good feet up brake slide into a tight corner. Well maybe clean shorts cause the first time can be intimidating. :jack

Similar creek crossings here in So Cal during the spring. If you go to taller boots give the various Froma Adventure boots a look over. https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/forma-adv-tourer-boots
    I like mine and the https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/forma-adventure-boots are also quite good with perhaps a bit more shin protection. Disclaimer - I do not work for Forma, Cycle Gear, or any other motorcycle related firm.

Nothing finer than a dirty bike in the driveway or garage after a great outing.
    [​IMG]

Keep us updated on your adventures. Especially if you get up north near Prescott. I hope to bring my bike out there in the future.

JP