A few Months through Europe, including Hellas Rally

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by DerHesse, May 10, 2021.

1. DerHesse

DerHesse n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, my names Marcel. Im new to this Forum. Just made my introduction Thread.

I am not very much into social media. I'll try to get into it a little and at least start reporting in this forum to fellow ADV riders, who may be interested in this.

I've build an Adventure Bike last Winter based on a KTM 690 Enduro and started this journey only a few weeks ago in Germany.

My first destination is the Hellas Rally in Greece, which will begin next week. I only made it through france for now. Hopefully being able to continue in a few days to Italy, making it to Bari and then with Ferry to Patras- Greece. After taking part in the Rally, if nothings broken on me nor the Bike, Ill continue the journey through Eastern Europe for another 2 Months or so.

Right now I am stuck in south of france with a broken rocker arm, waiting for a replacement. Earlier in north of france I had an issue with the fuel pressure. At least this first incident only cost me a day. Unforutnalty, I dont have any replacement rocker arms with me or in stock at my own workshop. Ordering one costs some time. This incident will cost me about 10 days. What a pain in the a**.

But I can still make it. I am in Arcachon right now(Atlantic West Coast of France), heading east on thursday and then to Bari down the east coast of Italy. Hopefully being able to catch the Ferry next Thursday to Patras.

If anyone is making a similar route, let me know. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Ill add some details and pictures soon.
    20210503_220958_508.jpg PXL_20210424_173728632.MP.jpg PXL_20210430_070729263.jpg PXL_20210428_160834878.jpg PXL_20210429_170727205.jpg
    original_20353faf-ea55-4519-839f-1d15f680710b_20210425_204716_737.jpg
    shaqattack, NaMi, franken and 8 others like this.
  2. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    Tough luck with that rocker arm. Which motor is in your 690? I suppose the one from a few years back, when the top end was known for these issues?

how about the travel restrictions? Aren’t you supposed to self quarantine in France? Or just show up with a negative test? And what about the route you are taking? With a bike like yours, I would think you’d like to do the TET?
  3. DerHesse

DerHesse n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its a 2010 Model but as far as I know there is no model without breaking rockerarms. Not going to much into details here, but riding a 690 without replacement is just ignorant :D

Practically, there are no restrictions. Some countries have, in theory, restrictions for tourism, as that you need to register online and stuff and also have a recent negative test but in real life there are no borders oder bordercontroles traveling overland, plus no one cares and no one will ask you for it. I guess its gonna be a little bit more difficult to take the Balkan Route right now, since you are crossing more borders. I was even stopped by the police for riding to fast and as soon as they noticed that I am from germany and dont speak french they told me to ride on.

I dont like to follow any routes. Exploring things is more fun and there are always so many things to see. I have the TET Routes on the mobilephone and look after it sometimes because it gives me an idea where riding offroad is most likely legal. Since my journey is open end, I can live in my own timeline and dont need to plan ahead to much.
    ilten, Frostguiding and squadraquota like this.
  4. MusicRider

MusicRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking forward to your ride report. I hope the rocker arm gets there soon. Have a great trip and have fun.
  5. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    2 or 3 years ago the 690 got a revised engine, mainly the top end. Basically the same engine as the husky 701. I haven’t heard of any rocker arm issues on these engines but I could be wrong.

nice idea to find explore your own routes. But indeed it can be something of a challenge to find legal unpaved roads in Europe.

I suspected already the quarantine obligation is not really enforced, seems restricted to air ports. Here in The Netherlands things are not too strict but was wondering about real life experience in other countries.

For sure you will be checked at the Croatian (non Schengen) border. And I wouldn’t be surprised if Slovenia have border checks, their COVID lockdown seems pretty strict.
    DerHesse likes this.
  6. DerHesse

DerHesse n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    PXL_20210517_110725729.jpg

Got a new rockerarm today. Bike ist running again. 2500 km to Bari the next 2 days. Couldnt upload Videos here so check out my insta accunt for more Media. Its not much but its honest work
    squadraquota, ilten and NSFW like this.
  7. NSFW

NSFW who else would love noobs? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    welcome to ADV and you're already on a big trip....congrats!

hope that's the last issue you're going to have on the 690. looking forward to more of your travels. focus on the riding and not worry much about the ride report. do it in your free time.
    DerHesse likes this.