A general lack of enthusiasm...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by richo360, Sep 13, 2018.

1. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20191129_115150.jpg 20191129_105136.jpg 20191129_105142.jpg

Next up, some fresh plastics and for those French 6 days graphics I've got sitting in the shed.
    ToriMish, Suncoaster, moto74 and 3 others like this.
  2. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Post the dyno graphs please Richo.:lurk

Be good to see where it is making power/torque.:deal
    Interested to see if it's suitable for track racing - got a tired 654 (with Vortex/Akra) in the 'wet' bike that needs a freshen-up.:hmmmmm

When i looked at big-boring the 690 (790) a coupla years ago, it was gunna involve bigger injector, valves and mods to oil galleries, etc. - not worth the money or effort for our class of racing.
  3. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Richo, some time back I remember you asking around about potential mods for the 690. Would you mind listing who you went with and what has been done. Very interesting outcome.
  4. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/building-a-better-690-engine.1335454/

Basically, ktm 2016 Duke 105mm barrel and piston on a 2012/13 single plug longer stroke engine ( ie full 690cc from factory, not the earlier short stroke 654cc)
    AGAP 255 cam

Screenshot_20190824-110935_Drive.jpg
    I think the cam was about $700 Aud landed.( from Sweden)
    Part numbers for the barrel and piston kit and the head gasket are in the other thread link. Cost was about $450 usd all up plus shipping, so about $750? . Locally the barrel and piston kit on its own was over $1200 with none in the country.
    Tekno Ti power bomb header pipe from Adventure Bike Components Aust off their fb page. Cost was $500 On sale
    The Vortex ECU was about $800 iirc, had it a few years now. Remapping and three hours on the dyno at PTR to suit the new engine and dramatically more fuel needed was $500.
    Kevvy Doyle charged $700 to screw the engine together, including reseating valves. Note , due to timing/ cam duration changes and higher lift getting the timing correct is critical. Someone contacted me to let me know what happened when it wasn't done right. Ugly and expensive. Unless you've got experience and know what you're doing, get it done by a pro.
    Kevvy is happy to do others too if anyone is interested, let me know and I can put you in contact.
    2 new intake valves, $120 each I think?
    2 new rockers, @$165 each
    New timing chain, $65

Think that's about it.
    I could sell the old 654 which is still running like champ to offset, but will just stick it on the corner of the shed for now.

Oh yeah. . the later engine was $ 2500, from a wreck. But came with full loom, complete throttle body, throttle tube and cables, battery box and fuse block etc. Lots of stuff I can sell off as I won't need, let me know if anyone wants anything.
  5. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Awesome thanks. Love reading re performance upgrades.

Yes, always best to get performance cams dialled in. What i had to do with A/M Chev cams with offset bushes.

Corresponding spares is a good thing.
  6. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20191207_104123.jpg

Great day for a ride, Tanjil to Reefton.. checking out tracks I havent done before
  8. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    So the other week a mate stole my thongs ( long drunken story) so thought I'd go get them back yesterday.. did I mention he lives near Mansfield?
    That's my excuse for a ride anyway. .
    Headed off about 9 am yesterday ( an hour later than planned, that's another story)
    On the 732, it was already warm and humid, so I was in Enduro gear ... last minute I thought I'd strap the Klim badlands jacket to the rear rack just in case... glad I did later on.
    Across the swamps of KooWeeRup , fuel at Longwarry then into Bunyip, TeeTree and Western to Gentle Annie, was dry and easy.
    Via Noojee, Torrago Rd to The Triangle.
    20200201_112710.jpg
    Left onto Corn Hill... wow. Fire break clearing and logging, the first 4-5 kms nearly to Gaffneys tk was like a dirt freeway. . Better than the Woods Point road, could drive a car along it comfortably.
    Onto Ryan's Spur, here it was chopped up, lots of off camber diversions with loose rock strewn everywhere. Difficult going. Between Hope Track and the top of Terrible was carnage, I actually took the hard line up the last bit as visually it looked less rock strewn and probably was.
    No one at the summit, but Id earlier stopped and chatted briefly to 5 guys at the hut on Ryan's Spur. They'd come from Jamo on Enduro bikes, and looked like they were buggered .

20200201_123842.jpg 20200201_123847.jpg

Down Terrible to Poletti's which was in good nick. Stopped for a beer at a mates place at Doctors Creek, Damn it was over 35 degrees and humid as hell along the river there.
    Onwards to Burnt Creek, where I picked up the favorite footwear and stole a beer from his fridge ( he wasn't home ).
    20200201_142840.jpg

Backtracked to Eildon Jamo road, turned down Big River Rd... passed Chaffey Creek where I'd camped heaps of times. All campgrounds still currently closed by the looks of it, no one about.
    Beyond Enoch the road reduces to 2 wheel tracks, and rocks. Rocks. Rocks. Really hoped to avoid a pinch flat, I was getting tired and it was hard going.
    Past Hope tk and down the hill to the creek crossing, there were 3 guys there on heavily loaded adv bikes..a Tiger 800, a newish F850, and a 650 Vstrom. Loaded with heaps of gear , and with a bashplate dragging on the ground, the guy on the Suzuki looked absolutely stuffed, he'd cooked his clutch going up the hill towards hope track. .wtf? Bike was going no where, they were apparently heading to Kevington pub for the night which they thought was only about 10 kms away... ha, nope. 60-70 more like via roads. They looked beaten, looked bewildered when I said I'd done near 500ks for the day already. Apparently planning to leave the V there in the bush and dink old mate to the pub... good luck. Was nearly 4pm so left them to sort it out, and took off down to Reefton for another beer and some late lunch, which Pete happily provided. Pub powering along apparently still.
    It had started raining near Stockmans, so got on the gas... the 732 fairly sings above 130, and is great fun out of corners, so much better than the stock 690.
    Down Reefton Spur... fog. At one point so thick I was in first and second gear following the white line, the heat off the road combined with a rapid temperature and cold rain I guess, wow.
    From the pub, up the tracks and down to Muddy Creek road and McCarthys. Had to stop and put the jacket on, started to get really cold. Noojee and home via the same way I'd gone earlier.
    About 650 ks for the day.
    Wonder if those guys made it to the pub for the night?
    Wodger63, Daazzaa, KIZ and 18 others like this.
  9. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Origin of the Yarra River up there, just a short walk off 9Mile.

[​IMG]
    Ron50, sidetrack one, dunc and 3 others like this.
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    But in terms of the original vein of this thread, today I actually washed, oiled and lubed two bikes ( 450 and 690) and they're good to go.
    Every bike in the stable Is currently clean and ready to ride... go figure !

Looks like my yearly maintenance is done.. and it's only feb 2. Looking forward to spending the remainder of the year on the couch thinking of the bike work that needs doing :)
    moto74 and Dukehunt like this.
  11. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bike maintenance beats the shit out of house renos!!:clap
    20200202_115005.jpg
    jardine, richo360, numbat and 3 others like this.
  12. dunc

dunc Coddiwompler Supporter

Oddometer:
    theres the wash up sink for the garage
    sidetrack one likes this.
  13. OzBooster

OzBooster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good ride, they must have cleared more tracks since last week
    every other way we tried between Eildon and Warbuton was blocked with trees
    nearly went with Big River but i think we could have ended up like the guys you met ,
  14. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Yep. I've got 2 bathrooms and a laundry to re tile (never done it before) and about 20 m2 of paving to do (never done it before).

I'm sure there are pressing bike matters to attend to :wink:
    sidetrack one likes this.
  15. buckscreek

buckscreek AUTODIDACTIC

Oddometer:
    You're installing burnt orange laminex benchtops?!?!
  16. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Get a decent tile cutter. Also Bunnings have a brilliant diamond hole saw for the taps. If you plan everything well by covering all bases youll be fine.
  17. jardine

jardine 86

Oddometer:
    Until the next bike arrives....
    richo360 likes this.
  18. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Max 63 hp?

with the extra grunt do youvfeel like it would be even better with a wide ratio gearbox?

asking as research for my own future general lack of enthusiam project

late start for me today too, didn’t hit the road till 2:00 - it’s never too late to hit start on an adventure! I ended up doing a lazy 300km meandering loop for a cuppa at torrumbarry weir.

how good is the weather!
  19. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stock is about 63 at flywheel, this was over 63 at rear wheel with the tyre jumping on the dyno... Tuner estimated 75 crank hp.
    Yes , a nova gear set would be good, but at $4500 plus the cost of an engine teardown.... nah.
    Honestly, is so much better now, it holds speed easily, it's got bulk torque, and seems to be happier at anything over 100ks.
    If I win lotto, sure. But till then, nope.
  20. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rwhp makes more sense. ta mate.
    My 08 654 probably only made mid 50’s at the crank when it was new....63 at the wheel would be so much crazy fun. I never get sick of ringing its neck. Got home at 10:00 tonight and didn’t want to stop.

i have only 1 bike - therefore i reckon i can blow a bit on a gearbox ;)

tennis was a good excuse to stay up tonight too:1drink:photog:freaky