A general lack of enthusiasm...

Discussion in 'Australia' started by richo360, Sep 13, 2018.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Buggered if i know mate. Rock hoppin ones! I can find out if you want. $5 ea. I bought those other rears for $5 ea plus two fronts.

He was using them on a dirt bike if that matters.
  2. Bluetonguejak

Bluetonguejak Pretend racer

Oddometer:
    Cool, they will most likely have heavier walls than the soft pure trials tyres.
  3. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I elected to kick work to the curb today. Bugger it.
    In a sudden burst of energy I drove a 10 hour return to near the SA border to collect the Swedish cousin. No, not that sort , sorry.
    20200522_173745.jpg
    Man, it's ugly. Seriously, don't think it's had a decent bath, ever. Mechanically though, very good. Came with a book of notes and receipts for everything ever done. Every oil change, bearing replacement, brake pad change, everything.
    Some work to do, got a fair assembly of parts in a big box already, more coming, even more once I've stripped her bare naked and had a good look.
    New project, Al' s tidy Berg is the inspiration.
  4. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    What size is it's ring...?

390... 450... 570 big bore...? :ear
  5. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    570 Troy.
    Late this arvo I thought I'd make a start.
    Don't you just love a ' quick tidy up' project?.
    20200524_185535.jpg 20200524_185445.jpg
    20200524_185615.jpg
    20200524_185528.jpg

Apart from the fact the previous owner skipped wiring 101, it's been dropped a lot ( rh radiator is evidence clearly) and as a result is fairly scruffy looking.
    New plastics and seat cover, and a set of spokes at each end. Everything else gets dismantled and scrubbed. New discs and pads and rubber at each end.
    That said, mechanically is really good. Starts easily, forks recently serviced ( shock needs a service)
    Is got stegz pegs, a radiator fan, and a map switch.
    Time in the shed awaits.
    Cruz, AUSSIEADV and sidetrack one like this.
  6. Not the Messiah

Not the Messiah Old enough to know better, but slow learnin'

Oddometer:
    Can't be fast enough, other bikes have been in front of it!
    upload_2020-5-24_20-48-33.png
  7. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200524_185438.jpg

That's the right hand radiator guard at the bottom.
    I believe the correct term is munted.
    I did pull the complete headlight assembly apart, the reflector was a mil thick with red dust, as was the globe.
    Plan to do a bit per night.
    Tomorrow I'll pull the wheels, rear shock and exhaust... shock service coming asap, will give better access to subframe etc to clean that up.
    I'll soak the exhaust in diesel to soften the red crud , then hit it with a flapper disk or wire wheel. Once it's clean I'll see what damage there it's and if it's livable.

Oh and I'll take the radiator to Bike Rads in Dandenong to see if they can straighten it. Doesn't leak a drop, so you never know.
  8. hattah79

hattah79 .

Oddometer:
    Looks like its had more hits than Elvis
  9. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    ‘09/‘10. OC forks, 19mm offset triples. Good for general trail riding. They went to 22mm on the ‘11/‘12 bikes which suited more open terrain.

Speak to Terry Hay at Shock Treatment about a tapered needle for the PDS.

Radiators. Some would just refuse to go there but ive had brilliant success with the Chinese rads at $110/$120 a pair.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_X2MDkeGC0hRW1aYm9qX0o4MWM
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  10. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its got (KTM Part given 780 prefix) WP 22 degree offset triples.

20200524_185646.jpg 20200524_185656.jpg
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  11. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Alot of people swapped them over. Didnt like the twitchy feeling. Not saying there is. Just their assumption. I think Jaks bike is an early version. He can provide some input.

The early SX’s had the adjustables, 19-21, usually selling for about $150 used.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  12. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saturday headed for the hills and did a hard 75km Enduro loop. Lots of single track through the trees, some high speed stuff, some red clay greasy snot climbs. All good hard fun. 20200530_110405.jpg Jono looking for his enthusiasm, old poppy scratching his nads I think lol
    Today, I'm working... yeah. Hmm. Nah.
    Went and got a new cover stuck on the seat for $20.
    Then assembled the box of bits for the Swedish girlfriend. Still waiting on new shrouds, but I've got 4 not too bad ones to pick from.
    20200601_160403.jpg
    Was chatting to a bloke last week who actually was tasked with keeping the press fleet of Bergs looking pretty from 09 to 13....
    Apparently he has a large collection of plastics, mostly new he says I can have. Gotta be a win.
    Ron50, Boxa, Cruz and 4 others like this.
  13. TenereMark

TenereMark Where are we????????

Oddometer:
    Hang on? Back up a bit. I was following your dating thread. I didn't hear anything about a Swedish girlfriend??? Was waiting for more posts in that thread.
    richo360 likes this.
  14. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    If you remove the header pipe for a full scrub and clean, it is worth having it ceramic coated inside and out while it is apart. Pipe runs a lot cooler in that tight engine/fuel tank area.
  15. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's part of the plan, if I actually run that pipe. That said, it's also got a few dents on it.
    I'm on the hunt for somethiing else though as a first preference.
  16. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha I should update that, life's never boring.
    TenereMark likes this.
  17. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    you will be lucky to find an aftermarket replacement....but then you sound as if you have some good contacts.
    richo360 likes this.
  18. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This weekend I'm heading west with Aus Go Far and another mate... 2 SE's and a 790.
    Figuring it would be cold ( and it was last time we rode) thought I'd get some Ballards grip warmers.
    20200425_154202.jpg
    The bike DID have heated grips on it, until the previous owner decided to replace the grips. He just snipped all the wires and turfed the foil wraps with heating elements. Uh huh.
    Of course, they were the 3 wire ones, and Ballards sent me 2 wire with a resister in the low heat setting power wire .
    So what should have been a 30 min job ended up taking nearly 90 by the time I removed and replaced and soldered in the new wiring.
    received_279628416748490.jpeg
    Least the hands will be warm.

I've gotta say... what the fark is it with twist and tape or scotch lock wiring? Why can't the average punter buy and learn to use a soldering iron and heat shield ffs. I'm actually surprised the SE was done like this, damned well hope it wasn't the serving dealer that did this shit. Just lazy and messy. I'm an office boy with average skills and its not that difficult.
    Rant over....

Progress on the Berg too @AUSSIEADV . I found a used Akro for $250. Needs a new Akro foil sticker though, but otherwise not in too bad shape.
    Also got my hands on a 12 litre brand new, unused tank for the 450exc, less than half price. Easy 150km fuel range now, Wimmera here we come .
    Kiwirich likes this.
  19. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I'm guilty richo. Used a scotch lock the other day. Wanted to bypass the clutch switch in a way that was easily reversible. On it went.
  20. richo360

richo360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha ha, there is instances where that's feasible.
    But where is a permanent addition, ie heated grips, or on the berg a radiator fan and map switch, cutting and twisting wires together then wrapping them in tape is more bodgy than a crooked politician.
    mrsdnf likes this.