A Guide Or Jackhat?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Filly, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Filly

Filly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay, let me all inform you as of this Friday ride in PA with Canine. I posted that I was going on a 3-day ride for girls only. Canine offered to show us a few great places to see. Since the only gal that said she was interested was new to bike riding and just wanted to take things slow and take a lot of pictures, I informed him that it would be nice to know more of the scenic areas that I just might not know about. I MADE MYSELF VERY CLEAR THAT I WAS THERE FOR A SCENIC TRIP TO TAKE A LOT OF PICTURES. I DO NOT WANT TO SPEED AROUND AND BE LEFT BEHIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He had brought a lot of gear for the other gal since she did not have any. BUT HE DID NOT SEEM TO UNDERSTAND SHE DID NOT HAVE ANYWAY TO PUT IT ON HER BIKE.

TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT FOLKS, HE WAS SPEEDING THE ENTIRE TIME, DID NOT NOTICE THAT THE "NEW RIDER" WAS BREAKING SAFETY RULES WHICH ALMOST GOT HER INTO AN ACCIDENT WHEN HE LOCKED UP HIS BIKE IN FRONT OF HER, TO POINT OUT A BIRD ON THE ROAD. HE LEFT ME COMPLETELY BEHIND, WENT THROUGH TWO STOP SIGNS WITHOUT WAITING TO SEE IF I WAS STILL OKAY.

I PULLED OFF THE ROAD TO TAKE PICTURES AND AFTER 20 MINUTES THERE WAS STILL NO SIGN OF THEM. I CONTINUED (not wanting to) AND I SEE HER RETURN FIRST. HE TOLD HER TO GO BACK TO LOOK FOR ME ( A NEW RIDER).

WHAT IN THE HE!! WAS HE THINKING?

I have been a tour guide for many years (backcountry horse riding) and you better listen to your group, do as they request and NEVER, NEVER leave someone behind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So be pissed, I have no problems with that. Yes, please give up the idea of being a guide, you suck at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to everyone else, but if any of you know me, I'm a knowledgeable rider and a safe one. I know my stuff and can take care of myself very well, I don't need someone else to screw with me.

Be safe, have fun and I hope to see more of you on a group ride that know how to go out and enjoy what we all are there for, RIDING!

Sorry for the rant, but what he (CANINE) said was uncalled for! If he was new to being a guide, then he needed to accept my feedback that informed him that he "SCREWED UP RULE #1, DON'T LEAVE WITHOUT YOUR ENTIRE GROUP!"
  2. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your negative experience and glad you are ok.

Your post demystifies something that was confusing in another thread.

Feedback is valueable, thanks.
  3. RuneSpyder

RuneSpyder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people just have no patience. Maybe the person was pissed that they felt like they had to coddle a new rider.
  4. CascadeThumper

CascadeThumper Critical Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As Sgt. Schultz used to say: "Veeeewy Intawesting."
  5. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:

Didja make tha PA ride yesterday? :ears
  6. Filly

Filly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, in fact because my hubby was going to meet me so we could ride home together.

I believe the other riders felt similar to my opinion but hopefully they will share their own thoughts.
  7. toothy

toothy Grin

Oddometer:

You went on Friday and Sunday?
  8. GSguy

GSguy Here's a quarter. Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is one of the hardest things with such a large group of riders is to keep within there riding skill set. Hope you do make it out to ride with the rest of us knuckleheads, it would be nice to see more women come out and play.
  9. Filly

Filly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I posted for a three day all-girl ride, Canine popped in and said he'd like to show us some sites.

It proved to be a most interesting three days.
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    In a group, you have to ride at the slowest common denominator, I guess he didn't realize that. Sounds like you have (re)learned the value of a good discussion before taking off riding and expecting everyone to be on the same page. If you're not comfortable, find a place to stop and let your feelings be known.
  11. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    being able to ride, does not make one able to guide.

I long since realized i dont have the patience or skill to be a good ride leader even though i find myself doing it more than i like. Skills can vary, but it helps if you get everyone in the group to have the same expectation about the quality of the ride.

but i have a question for Filly. If you were ditched, why didnt you just ride you own ride and enjoy that? why did you need a guide anyway?

Why let it ruin your day? Not trying to be critical, it just seems like a silly thing to get this worked up about. I would rather do a long random solo ride than suffer a fool of a guide in a group ride.

nk
  12. Tantrum

Tantrum Condescending Nag

Oddometer:
  13. Filly

Filly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Without going completely into the whole story, it is difficult for you all to know everything. But I will tell you this, the individual offered to share some really nice sights that we might not know about. That was the only reason I took them up on the offer. I DID EXPLAIN THAT I DID NOT WANT TO SPEED OR BE LEFT BEHIND.!

When I got ditched, I did turn around and went about 1 mile before I decided that I should not let the other gal suffer for his BS. She did not have any gear and was completely new to this camping off bikes stuff and "I was the only one that had a tent". So, at 8:30pm it would not have been right for me to leave her with him and have no way to camp for the night, since he was leaving to return home as soon as we got to the campground.

I have no problems camping and doing my own thing, I really like that best anyways. Trust me, this will not happen again.
  14. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    ah, i see and agree. that would have been bad. My vote then is that he is a Jackhat.

oh well. live and learn.

nk
  15. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    If ya gonna offer to lead people ya got to take the time to learn a bit about them and then you stay with them. If ya dont like that then dont offer......
    seems simple enough to me.... If a rider you are leading expresses a problem you help them... or you tell them that you are not going to help them so that they know where they stand and can make informed decisions.