A Harley Davidson?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Tourbus, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Tourbus

Tourbus Lost but not worried

Oddometer:
    After 3 years on a 2000 Ural I felt at ease with the sidecar idea. More speed and comfort for multi day multi state travel was in order.

A 2007 Electra Glide Ultra and Ultra sidecar have found their way into my stable. This thing is a pleasant surprise. Will run any speed you want, 70+ on the 4 lane is only 5th gear. brakes are more powerful and balanced than I expected. Steering could be lighter but with NO head shake and one hand steering on the highway, I'm afraid to rake the trees and cause a problem. May not be a high performance unit but is definitely high speed.

the bonus was this rig was less money than a late model Ural. WIN WIN WIN.

these 1120# rigs are a legit option.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are a number of reputable sources for triple trees, and it's well worth the time and effort to get it dialed in with reduced trail.
    rg sw wa. and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  3. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    for realz and some stiffer rear shocks and some commander tars for great wear.

[​IMG]

I bought my Tree's from Liberty but they were manufactured by these guys

Hawg Halters - Hawg Halters Inc - HHI - Renegade Wheels ...www.hawghalters.com
  4. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are OK with the effort as now, do not touch it. If you want to change trees just check if it will not lower your front end too much... you’ll have to change your fork tubes !
  5. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    :nono

easy to find Trees that include small extensions for your Tubes.
    rg sw wa. and Bobmws like this.
  6. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like a 1972 chopper????
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  7. FLYING EYEBALL

Oddometer:
    good talk
    DRONE and Bobmws like this.
  8. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is another option for trail reduction if you decide you need it. EML trail reducer, sold in USA by Eurowing in Florida. They sell these for Harley trike conversions. I am happy with mine on my 1993 Tour Glide. This picture is a newer model than mine. EML trail reducer.jpg
    Bobmws, DRONE, Prmurat and 1 other person like this.
  9. davet2

davet2 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20170907_155108343.jpg This is mine, using raked trees does look a little better, but this installation may be a little easier. These are about the same price as the trees.
    Bobmws, rg sw wa. and FLYING EYEBALL like this.
  10. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    How does your monkey like the ride of the sidecar? Those leaf springs look really bouncy. That's one thing that has kind of put me off the notion of an HD sidecar.
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  11. brstar

brstar Long timer

Oddometer:

These look like a good solution for trail reduction.
    On other brand machines as well.
    The brakes work the same just in front of the forks.
    I like.
    FLYING EYEBALL and rg sw wa. like this.
  12. Tourbus

Oddometer:
    Thanks for th heads up on trail reducers, I'll check into those.

As far as sidecar movement. I see it ,but she says it is not that noticeable in the chair and the ride is more like a passenger car than the Ural. the tub seems a little deeper and the seat is very plush. She thinks it's as big of step up as I do one of the WINS.
  13. rg sw wa.

rg sw wa. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well Tourbus, how about a pic or two of your new ride ?
    brstar likes this.
  14. Tourbus

Oddometer:
    need to find a 1o year old to show me how transfer photos from my phone to laptop.
  15. Malamute

Malamute Low speed adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone happen to know what the sidecar wheel forward offset is in the factory H-D sidecar rigs?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  16. Bobmws

Bobmws Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer:
    Open your photo, if there is a share option, email it to yourself.
    rg sw wa. and brstar like this.
  17. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    We just did two Harley sidecars and another in the works. Have mounted qute a few over the years, They do work very well. As far as the 'bounce ' goes some seem to be worse than others but it is not a huge deal and is typically noticed more with no passenger, The earlier ones with multiple leaves seem to dampen better than the later model single leaf system. Some have actually installed shocks on them to control things. One of the ones we just finished had a small shock on it. Some have used lever shocks which are cool and still available. ................................... BTW...As a sidenote lean out is still leanout and still does what it does with a Harley sidecar. The Harley manual says to lean the bike in. If a dealer went by the manual not familar with sidecars the thing may or may not handle well. I get their theory but one driver may weigh 240 pounds and another 98 pounds so compensation is lean out.
    rg sw wa. and DRONE like this.
  18. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Another sidenote....if at a rally or whatever sometime the passenger may sit on the rear deck with their feet in the seat while cruising the rally grounds. If that is the case do not grab a handfull of throttle when they are not expecting it. Have seen one woman dumped off the rear of the bike this way and have heard of others who were injured. The one I saw was not hurt but it was obvious that 'her man' was in fear for his life after she got off the ground. lol. ...... For those who may not be familir with the harley sidecars they are a ridgid suspension with the body sprung with a leaf springs on each side. The early ones had multiple springs and the later ones a single leaf. The single leaf models do rock and roll a little more. Guess the motor company was trying to save some money in production dunno.
  19. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-8-1_9-12-22.jpeg upload_2020-8-1_9-12-39.jpeg Leaf springs are for the body...sidecar suspension is rigid.
  20. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Dang ... everytime we do a harley sidecar I cannot help but have the thought cross my mind about why we go to all the trouble to suspend a sidecar chassis LOL. They do quite well being rigid actually. lol. ...... Then from an adventurider standpoint there is Doug W ( rtwdoug) who did the Trans America Trail with this rig known as Dirtbag. [​IMG]
    rg sw wa. and GotDammitDave like this.