A heads-up for "street-legal" dirt bike owners:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SPEEDSMITH, Apr 29, 2017.

1. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    This afternoon, I bought some stuff off a guy with an XR650R, that he used on the street for a few years.
    He said that when he went to renew his insurance, the company said that they wouldn't insure it for the street anymore.
    They were also going through their files & looking for any RUV, etc, bikes & either cancelling, or not renewing them for the street.
    He said he went through RBC, & the actual insurance company started with an "A" ( Allianz maybe, can't remember).
    They're probably all going to do the same thing, I bet.
    Critt likes this.
  2. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow , some a--hole (s) has too much time on their hands .
  3. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    XR650R's in BC are being gran-fathered off the street by the overnment insurance company ICBC , based on the fact that they were originally off road only bikes. There may be other model bikes out there, but this is the prime example.
  4. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    So if I understand this correctly the bike has been made street legal and passes whatever inspection is required yet contrary to this some asshole has decided to get all holier than thou and deem ...what that they will explode into hellfire if ridden on the road?
  5. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's been that way for quite a while in BC. If it didn't come street legal from the factory you can no longer insure it for street. There's still a few bikes out there with insurance that fall in this category because the agent just re-insured it unknowingly but if a PO sends you for an inspection, you're done. That's not just XRs but anything.
  6. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    The issue is much bigger than that. These bikes were never manufactured for road use, and the manufacturers want them off the road. Just putting on lights doesn't make them roadworthy. Things like recalls, emissions, liabilities for failures all come into play. We are victims of ourselves, filing lawsuits for every damn thing that fails, and something had to give sooner or later. It's not one guy at an issurance company doing this. I know a few guys here in Nova Scotia who have had their WR 450 tags pulled as well.
  7. SPEEDSMITH

SPEEDSMITH Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer:
    I really don't want to get into this whole thing again, but, you can't make a dirt bike street legal (in Alberta for sure, don't know about the other provinces).
    It says this in the Out of Province inspection manual, & we have been told directly by Alberta Transportation.

Just because the person at the registry was dumb enough to give you a street plate for your dirt bike, doesn't mean that it is actually street legal.

A guy I know went through quite a bit of hassle with insurance, because someone hit him while he was riding a bike that wasn't really street legal.
    He had a street plate given to him by a registry, & the accident wasn't his fault, but they're always looking for a reason not to pay.
    Cowgirl likes this.
  8. Adanac rider

Adanac rider O.S.T.R. 62 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know your correct , I was just venting .Maybe next they will concentrate on noisy " potato potato " . I would consider that productive .:dj
    NorthBayPete likes this.
  9. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

It's all about the VIN, and the VIN plate. Nothing to stop you from cramming a water cooled CR500 into a street legal and registered XR650 frame, frame with a 'good' VIN, or a YZ125 into a street legal YSR50.
  10. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    Don't quote me on this but in NB I think NB Dirt Rider Association (NBDRA or maybe it was NBDSC) and a dealer worked with an engineer - per the provinces requirement to have a non-street bike certified as meeting road requirements - and now it seems you can get most anything plated for the road, less a few full on MX bikes.

All the same to avoid having to deal with govt ineptitude and bullshit any more than I have to I'll keep with the exc I have now.
  11. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    What I don't understand plating a off road bike, most use the same frame as a road bike (Ktm) just no lights exc. Now some of them are all choked up for emissions and I get that, but how many off road bike are there really polluteing that bad.
    This is where I rant.
    Now some guy on a loud straight pipe 1500cc no emissions small as shit tail lights stupid fat tire can't turn chromed up bikes are fine. Or better yet the back yard builder who modifies bikes by cutting the frame stuffing a bigger motor etc.. can get plates and no one cares?
    RevelstokeRoamer likes this.
  12. Critt

Critt Rambling on

Oddometer:
    In MB, you can insure anything that passes the safety inspection. I have recently dissected the Highway Traffic Act and safety standards and know what is required to make a bike street legal in MB. As far as "stree-legal dirt bikes" being unsafe on the road: bullshit.

If it has lights, horn, mirrors and all the other bits required (not going into that here), then it is exactly as safe as a road-legal bike from the showroom floor. The example can be seen with 2014 KTM 500 EXC. There were three versions of these bikes made in 2014: KTM EXC, Husaberg FE, and Husqvarna FE. Bikes were all identical except the KTM was decidedly road legal (mirrors and horns and that), and the Husa and Husky were offroad only. Logic says that if you slap all the required bits on either the Husa or the Husky, you're exaclty as safe as the EXC with those bits from the showroom floor... since it's the bike bike underneath.

Same goes for WR450F. It's road legal all around the world, but not in North America because Yamaha doesn't want to go thru the hassle of making it meet EPA standards for California. It has nothing to do with how "safe" the bike actually is. BUT, for Joe Shmoe to take his WR450F to get a legitimate safety done, there are no emission requirements, only safety requirements. And for this reason, I do no see why everyone gets their pants in a knot over converting off-road bikes to road legal.

As for me, I am liable to move provinces from time to time, so I will likely err on the side of caution and get road-legal from stock. Somewhat limits options for people wanting to ride enduro. (Manifesto complete)
  13. Cowgirl

Oddometer:
    Actually there are people who care and there are standards for that sort of thing. The mechanic/owner at the shop I go to is a ICBC inspector. If you want to get your home built bike registered or you've been pulled over by the police and told you have to have an inspection he's the guy you talk to. He cares, he knows the regs and he's not letting anything go, believe me.
    squonker likes this.
  14. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    The laws are the laws! You can vent, bitch, curse and swear, but it won't change our laws. Some make no sense, some do. Some of your arguments are valid, some are not. Some MX bikes made by certain companies are near identical to their road worthy bikes, others are very far apart. Standards for road legal bikes in North America are becoming tighter. If you want to ride an MX level bike on the road, you best head to the KTM/Husky dealer. When you ride a converted MX bike, you are setting yourself up for disappointment in the very near future.
  15. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

In BC, plating an off-road bike has everything to do with
    1) revenue collection
    2) insuring off-road bikes so the rider has no grounds to sue the crown for wiping out and hurting himself while riding on crown land.
    RevyRider likes this.
  16. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually legal or not, some definitely slip through. I bought a '95 KX250 off Kijiji 3 yrs ago. I went to register it for OHV and she asked me if I wanted to keep the road registration instead. It didn't have lights or any road equipment and I doubt it ever did but somebody signed off on it. I can't say I had any desire to ride a 2T motocross bike on the road though. About the same time, a friend managed to get a road plate for a brand new (at the time) KTM 300XC-W.
    Meet@Trudys likes this.
  17. woofer2609

woofer2609 Less flow, more Gnar

Oddometer:
    As Steve G said. In BC, RUM restricted use motorcycles were allowed to be registered and plated until 2009 as long as they werecinspected and deemed road worthy by a provincially approved inspector. This meant getting turn signals, etc. There are still some of these bikes out there. The issue comes when they are transferred to a new owner and ICBC sees the RUV in the VIN. Seems like most still get by (my friend just bought a plated 2008 WR450F last week and got insurance on it)
  18. Cowgirl

Oddometer:
    It's a buyer beware situation. A police officer can pull your plates at any time even if the insurance agent passed it.
  19. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Manufacturers should probably make all bikes Road Legal with easy take offs for those not interested. Regulation is becoming too restrictive. As bikes get old using them as general runners just makes sense.
  20. fredgreen

Oddometer:
    Costs too much! Why would a manufacturer want to jump through all the hoops to make a MX only bike road legal? The cost would then be passed to the consumer, making the bike so expensive no one could afford one.
    Steve G. likes this.