A heads-up for "street-legal" dirt bike owners:

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SPEEDSMITH, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

Agree. a definite no go. Having to put a 'cat' on every bike, have every bike Euro 4 or 5 applicable, street testing, etc. forget it.
  2. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:

geez, didn't know that. Guess I'll keep my old dinosaur.
  3. ctfz1

ctfz1 been there

Oddometer:
    Costwise "pure" dirt bikes will cost more, true. Big but..
    Resale also drops if if there is too large a single purpose used market.
    Besides the number of "street legal" MX bikes is miniscule. for all intents we are talking XR vs XL.
    Alternative is share the frame closely enough you can bolt on the "pure" dirt bike parts to a bike FRAME already street legal.
  4. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's OK if you don't mind living dangerously. Personally, I'd rather not take the chance. A few years ago I was looking for a new Supermoto and came across a plated WR450 sumo. Great bike and I maybe could have ridden it for years, or, the first time I took it down the street I could have gotten pulled over and ended up with a track only bike. I reluctantly passed. Oh yeah, that, and the guy almost broke his foot kick starting it, lol.
  5. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    damn, brittle bones!
  6. Sewerat

Sewerat Cert. bike whore

Oddometer:
    I'd beg to differ on some of your points. To me a full on road bike should have a few safety items which a no DOT bike will not, some of which o will be looking to actually put onto my beta as I do ride it on the roads a lot. First and for most is the lighting situation, my stock beta lighting is all AC lighting system, which means, no head, or tail lights are on if bike is not running, second is bike does not have any type of actual key ignition on it, not truly a safety, more of a theft issue.

Now why would a light be a safety issue, let's assume you are riding at night, in the middle of nowhere, pitch black if the moons not out and you slide off the road and into a field, perhaps laying under your bike and can't move. Your bike has now stalled and no lights to be seen. Cars are driving past you but nobody knows you are out there. But with a truly factory legal bike your lights should stay on u til the key is turned off or the battery dies. In this case you'd have several people to your rescue, not because people are good samaritans, more cause they'd think there was an alien landing in the field and they'd make a YouTube video go viral.
    Yes lots of this also pertains to a government cash grab, as it costs several thousand dollars to get one vehicle passed as road worthy to the manufacturing company for each and every country they want to sell the bikes in and that is part of the reason they don't bother, but at the same time it does have some of the safety requirements that tend to be overlooked by your everyday mechanic doing an annual inspection. Does anyone know the required size or distance of turn signals, tail lights. Does your old xr650 has a bank angle sensor, kickstand switch, are they functional? Just a few things I can think for example. I know there is plenty more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk