A helmet wet dream..

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by foxtrapper, Oct 27, 2021.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. DSquared

DSquared Dilly Dilly! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Searching Dirt Bike Helmets from highest price down on Revzilla has the Fly Formula Carbon as the lightest helmet which happens to be double that bike helmet. The venting scheme looks very similar though. The price tag follows the same trend as the weight unfortunately.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Isn't unusual for the bicycle full face downhill helmets to be like that.

Bell does them, here is one among the several that they make. Even has MIPS tech in it.

[​IMG]

SPECS

IMPACT MANAGEMENT
    MIPS®-EQUIPPED - MIPS STANDS FOR MULTI-DIRECTIONAL IMPACT PROTECTION SYSTEM, WHICH IS A LEADING SLIP-PLANE TECHNOLOGY INSIDE THE HELMET DESIGNED TO REDUCE ROTATIONAL FORCES THAT CAN RESULT FROM CERTAIN IMPACTS.
    SAFETY
    WRAPAROUND CHIN BAR: A REMOVABLE PROTECTIVE CHIN BAR, DESIGNED FOR TRAIL RIDING ADAPABILITY -- NO TOOLS REQUIRED. WARNING: ALL CHIN BARS HAVE LIMITS, AND SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH CAN OCCUR. READ OWNER'S MANUAL CAREFULLY BEFORE USING YOUR HELMET.
    CONSTRUCTION
    FUSION IN-MOLD POLYCARBONATE SHELL - A PROCESS PIONEERED BY BELL BONDS THE HELMET'S OUTER SHELL TO THE EPS FOAM LINER TO CREATE A STURDIER HELMET.
    PROGRESSIVE LAYERING: THE PROCESS OF ENGINEERING A HELMET LINER WITH VARIABLE EPS FOAM DENSITIES TO BETTER MANAGE THE TRANSFER OF ENERGIES AFTER SOME IMPACTS
    VISOR
    GOGGLEGUIDE ADJUSTABLE VISOR— ACCOMMODATES BOTH GOGGLES AND GLASSES
    VENTILATION
    OVERBROW VENTILATION FEATURES INTAKE PORTS ON THE BROW OF THE HELMET TO USHER IN COOL AIR AND PUSH IT THROUGH THE AIR-CHANNEL MATRIX FOR FULL-HEAD VENTILATION
    FIT SYSTEM
    FLOAT FIT DH WITH FIDLOCK BUCKLE - A COMFORTABLE AND SECURE FIT SYSTEM FEATURING AN EASY-TO-TURN RUBBER OVERMOLDED DIAL FOR ADJUSTMENTS
    WEIGHT
    860G (SIZE M)
    CERTIFICATION
    COMPLIES WITH THE US CPSC SAFETY STANDARD FOR BICYCLE HELMET FOR PERSONS AGE 5 AND OLDER

Be a great trials bike and recreational woods ride helmet. You gotta figure the downhill riders are going as fast as a lot of off road bikes, plus in competition they tend to have gnarly rock beds and boulders to travers.

Of course being in Ohio, a state with no helmet law, I could wear one without any issues from the law. Besides, it's gotta be better than a doo rag.
    klaviator and RedEX like this.
  4. Advtrbound

Advtrbound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have several of the Bell mountain bike helmets with the removeable chin guard. All higher end helmets have MIPS now. Im looking forward to all motorcycle helmets having MIPS.
  5. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD! Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're looking for a dirt bike helmet there a few crossover bike/moto helmets available from the high end euro helmet makers, they are in no way aerodynamic enough for highway use though.
  6. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    All of the current M/C helmet safety standards still have a heavy emphasis on penetration protection in addition to impact protection (esp Snell). This requires a much heavier shell.
  7. markk53

Oddometer:
    You think a helmet designed to take the possible hit by rocks or tree limbs in a fast downhill ride crash might be designed to take some serious puncture type hits. They sure aren't the thin plastic shells like the road helmets by any means. They are a design descended from MX helmets to make them more suited to the off road bicycle use. Pretty much betting Bell and others have kept the design stout enough to possibly even meet motorcycle standards, only lacking in that they have more open gaps for venting. Don't know if that would be a problem with the design, especially considering the motorcycle half shell helmets that meet standards.
  8. bluefoam

bluefoam Adventurer

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

9. 309

309 Special Purpose

Oddometer:
    I just picked up an Airoh Aviator helmet. Not quite as light but still way lighter than most moto helmets. It’s not DOT approved but it is ECE and that’s ok with me. I love it.
  10. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I have had an Airoh S4 dualsport helmet for several years. It is pretty comfortable, if a bit tough to get on and off, remarkably quiet and, most importantly, very light.
  11. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    You all are probably right about the wind noise. And some modern helmets are, better, about not being as hot and stuffy as others. My Nolan 100-5 for example, it’s not miserable.

But, I’d still love to at least try a helmet that’s hugely airy, like this exoskeleton bicycle helmet. Might even make me wear my earplugs more!
  13. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I don't think any shell with huge holes in it can ever claim to be protecting against puncture/penetration but it may not matter much. The "Blowing the lid off" magazine article that stirred up so much controversy a few years ago suggested that the historical development of motorcycle helmet standards from construction helmet standards where penetration IS a significant concern, was partially to blame. Snell then doubled down by having their double-impact test, requiring strong (therefore thick & heavy) shells to meet their supposed higher standard. Furthermore, Arai's obsession with reducing or eliminating weak spots in their helmets' shells by minimizing or eliminating any holes, reinforced (sic) the notion that the "strength" of the shell was a critical factor in a good helmet. It has been challenging for any helmet manufacturer or standards organization to move far from the accepted requirements, even if they know there is a better way.

Bicycle helmets came from a completely different direction and have been able to focus on crash protection without any "baggage" i.e. preconceived ideas about what makes a "good" helmet. IIRC, it was even suggested in the "Blowing the lid off" article or related discussion, that the design of downhill racing bicycle helmets may be the best model for motorcycle helmets to move toward. The emphasis in those helmet designs is reducing linear and rotational acceleration to the brain. Designs which can achieve that better lend themselves to weight reduction, which may also help enhance this type of protection.
    klaviator likes this.
  14. markk53

Oddometer:
    Snell didn't double down. That was the problem pointed out by Dr. Thom in the article. Motorcycle crashed virtually never have two impacts in the same spot. Snell had that from their automobile work, where a helmet can bounce around in a roll cage. That was the big problem - too hard. Snell still has the same two impacts, which is a waste on motorcycle lids. Fact is Dr. Thom pointed out that the DOT helmets that transmitted less g force than the Snell did so because the shell was softer and would flex slightly, absorbing some of the force before transmitting to the brain. ECE 22.05 did so too. Both Thom and the late Dr. Hurt recommended a softer shell to absorb more of the impact since the EPS seldom used all of its crush zone.

With the new overkill 8.2 m/s impact speed the helmet companies are being forced to make a harder inflexible shell instead of a softer slightly flexible shell. The point made in the 6D interview video I posted earlier in the thread and/or in others.

Bicycle helmets actually came from some motorcycle design, when Bell came out with an actual hard shell with liner. My brother had one of the first Bell helmets. Before that they were leather "hair nets" and since the first Bell helmet they have pretty much digressed a bit to the EPS helmet with a thin plastic vacuum formed veneer over it. Probably fine for the 20-30 mph crash on pavement, but not enough for down hill off road biking. The down hill helmets actually did come from motorcycle helmets in that the MX helmets were the only safe thing for down hill racing through the rocks and jumps, but they were too heavy, so the helmets developed to what they are now.

Of course holes in the helmet don't provide protection, my comment was when you compare to a half shell helmet the down hill racing helmets easily provide more protection. Also that ECE 22.05 has to cover the half shells otherwise riders wouldn't be allowed to ride with them in Europe.
    klaviator likes this.
  15. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I meant that Snell doubled-down on the wrong side of the equation. Exactly as you describe, they made a MORE stringent impact/penetration test through the double impact protocol, leading to thicker shells instead of thinner and lighter.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    Got it.

The double hit makes sense for drivers strapped in race, when you see those guys crash out in a top fuel or funny car in drag racing and the open wheel cars. Plus now they have the HANS device that probably really cuts down impact acceleration by holding the driver's head in a smaller area for travel.
  17. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Klim F5 is the closest, at least IMO, that you'll get to that. They're rather spendy, but they are light and air blows right through them.
    https://www.klim.com/F5-Koroyd-Helmet-ECE-DOT-3992-000?quantity=1&color=1444
    Or, if you don't mind not having the DOT cert there's this one. I have one of these for mostly off road rides-no MIPS though. I don't think I'll buy a new helmet without MIPS, I really think it helped in a big get off I had last summer wearing my MIPS dual sport helmet. (I could actually feel my head rotate in the helmet just enough to avoid even worse neck injuries)
    https://www.klim.com/F5-Helmet-ECE-3910-000?quantity=1&color=253