A hidden ghost town in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jacob_ns, Jul 25, 2013.

1. jacob_ns

jacob_ns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. ZZR_Ron

ZZR_Ron Looking up

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report! I do love ghost towns!!:D
  3. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cool report, especially the pics of the old crane. You should post a few of these in the abandoned structures thread.
  4. srapp

srapp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick reply from a semi local. When I was in school (90's) there was still a Horne out there mining, one of the decendants of EH Horne who basically built Enfield. I am to believe he was the last full time prospector.

That memorial is for a guy a few years older than myself. I dont recall the circumstances. Ill ask my older brother.

There are actually lots of camps back in there if you dig. Plenty of people have built cottages 15 mins from their homes. Numerous accessable lakes.

Lots of dual sport-able trails. You can loop back to the cold war radar base in Beaverbank or make any number of cool after-supper-destryoing loops. Anyone ever want to go for a (non guided) tour hit me up. Maybe even prop Casey up on one of my green machines and rest the st, not that it couldnt handle it.

cheers, Kyle (from the pictures)
  5. casey sohc

casey sohc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    good to see you onboard Kyle.:D the st is ok for off roading if i could find a 160 80 17 knobby my life would be a lot easier...well an addition of a klr would be way easier then a knobby to fit the st...

[​IMG][​IMG]

this is Srapp...aka kyle
  6. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you took an ST1100 to Roxbury - you sir, are my hero. I will bear your children.
  7. casey sohc

Oddometer:

i think i have earned my ADV stickers...thanks :D
  8. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    You know it doesn't work that way right? You can just buy them anytime. ..
  9. oldNbold

oldNbold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. casey sohc

Oddometer:

yep i knew i could purchase them any time but for my own personal reasons i would not do that...that and i now have proved to myself.:huh

.[​IMG]
    jorrie likes this.
  11. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    thanks for the update and second trip,,, old stuff is cool.
  12. agent of orange

agent of orange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    cool pics and video. i never would of known this was on my back doorstep practically.
  13. theiggy

theiggy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Must still be some gold in the area...... Mmmmmmm :bubba:drif
  14. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    great day trippin! I am going to a Ghost Town here in central NM either tomorrow or Saturday.
  15. Fallstonray

Fallstonray Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    That was neat, I feel like I on the exploration of that place with you guys. Thanks! I would have loved checking out that old equipment and stuff.
  16. dandrea1

dandrea1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I am not a biker, but know many. I came upon your website when I saw a post come up on my news feed about Renfrew road. I want to tell you a little story. This story is about the monument that you comented on. The boy in that picture, his name is Adam. He along with most of the teenage community from old to new hang out back Renfrew. That particular area of Renfrew is called Free Claim. Many nights of partying and hanging out with the crew. One night on his way home from Free Claim, He jumped in the back of the car with a few friends, who had also been drinking. They came out the Nine Mile River end of Renfrew and the car they were in flipped. It landed on the front lawn of the home at the end. Adam did not live. He was son, a father and a friend to so many. They put the monument back there because that was where he loved to be. I am glad you loved it here. I know the majority of people that live here never want to leave. Thank you for your time.
    jackalsour, Xanthophyll and jorrie like this.
  17. Rawdoner

Rawdoner n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, I understand this post is about 2 years old, But I'm thinking of going back soon. Any areas to avoid? Tips? I'm coming I'm from the Rawdon side
  18. Tylenol

Tylenol Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, never knew about Renfrew, looks like a great place to explore. You probably know of the 2 down my way but here they are anyway; Roxburry in Paradise and New France in Digby County. Roxburry was an old lumber town that packed it in; if you go there bring a rod and a fishing license Paradise Lake is only a klic or 2 north of the settlement and I have heard some fish stories. All the buildings have fallen down now. New France was one of, if not the first, settlement in NS to get electricity. It was known locally as the Electric City, pretty sure the local band Electric City Underground took inspiration from the settlement. Anyway I never been there but many who have thought it too be a great time.
  19. Jonathan hull

Jonathan hull n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all I live in the area renfrew. Is a abandoned town yes but people have camps back there there are many people from the area that have land there the guy in the photo is Adam he died in a accident and was my friend he loved going back renfrew. So his family made the pillar to remember him we as teenagers all love to go back there and party and ride bikes and four wheelers if u do decide to visit this place have respect for peoples property cause this is basically like hazard country. And people won't allow u to take advantage of their happy place. If you enjoy old places then this is a good place to visit ! Regards.
    Samantha likes this.
  20. jacob_ns

jacob_ns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, everything social media has exploded with this post. I randomly saw it posted by someone on Facebook a few nights ago and ever since I've received a steady stream of PM's regarding this area!

Thanks very much for adding some specifics to the photo. It sounds like he was a well loved person. Here's to Adam!