A hidden ghost town in Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by jacob_ns, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Samantha

Samantha n00b

Oddometer:
    He was indeed a well loved guy I remember that day as if it was yesterday. Both him and his best friend passed due to that mva... He was my brothers neighbour and good buddy and a friend of mine as well. It was a gut wrenching phone call to get early the next morning after having seen them all earlier that tragic evening.
    Renfrew has several privately owned camps that people frequent. A friend of mines, her grandmother was born in renfrew and the land is still in her family. It's a neat place.
  2. PDH

PDH n00b

Oddometer:
    I would like to start by saying I understand the interest in the history of Renfrew I've been interested in it since I can remember. But I fear many people are misunderstanding what they see in these pictures. Yes there was a town built on gold mining in renfrew in the late 1800's. There is unfortunately nothing left from this town still existing, aside from the odd knee high rock wall which would mostly be mistaken for a pile of rocks unless you knew what you were looking at. The A- frame and other camps you see are not and were not ever houses they are privately owned hunting/recreation camps built in the 1980's. The building made from sheet metal is not a mine but was once a stamp mill owned and operated by my grandfather from the 1980's through to late 90's until he passed away. The crane, beetle, and other misc. machinery also belonged to him. Now it all belongs to his wife, my grandmother. Essentially this post is a photo album of trespassing and encouraging others to do the same. There is a couple who live in past the gate. The recent flurry of activity surrounding this post has inspired a lot of people to try and find this "ghost town". The cars have in fact blocked the road keeping him from being able to access his home and or the village which as you can imagine is not only an annoyance but dangerous. Gates don't mean walk from here. A gate means don't proceed unless you have a key. I realize there was no harm intended here but I do ask that everyone respect the land and it's owners by not trespassing.