A Highlander Returns Home. 200 Years Later.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    Before you head off go into a chemists and stock up on midge repellant creams, sprays and lotions. You can thank me later.
    Humunn likes this.
  2. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holy carp, that’s a big castle! How frickin cool man, can’t wait for the adventure to unfold :thumb:thumb
    Humunn likes this.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Great advice. I hear they can be thick up the coast.
  4. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Edinburgh castle.
  5. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Using OsmAnd+ to navigate this adventure.
    Screenshot_20180627-071254.png
    MrKiwi likes this.
  6. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Made it to the Oban Ferry but got lost and turned around several times en route. Turns out that riding on the left hand side of the road is fairly easy especially if you are following someone. I was self talking myself to death with keep left keep left keep left. This works perfectly until I came to a roundabout. Then animalistic muscle memory kicked in and I started to panic and got off the roundabout in a direction I did not want to go. did this 5 or 6 times until I abandoned my intended route for more of a straight shot to get here in time.met this lovely English couple who insisted I help them with their scallops. These were the largest scallops I've ever seen!
    IMG_20180627_160242.jpg
    rubline, liv2day and joenuclear like this.
  7. Sleepwhenyoudie

Sleepwhenyoudie Running from the pillow

Oddometer:
    Those are colossal!! and not deep fried - surprising. I imagine delicious too. :dukegirl:beer
    Humunn likes this.
  8. lusula

lusula n00b

Oddometer:
    Just returned from Scotland three weeks ago riding almost the same route. What a blast, had the time of my life! Enjoy your trip and keep us updated!
    Humunn likes this.
  9. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Wednesday June 27.

I arrive at the BMW dealership around 9 am. So many beautiful motorcycles for sale I temporary forget why I'm there like a moth to the flame. These guys were great.
    IMG_20180627_105125.jpg

They set me up on this beautiful 800 GS. I thought the bike was brand new by the looks of it but it actually has 14,000 miles on it. Another confidence builder for me as I need less things to worry about other than keep left keep left keep left.
    IMG_20180627_103614.jpg
    B10Dave, rubline and twowings like this.
  10. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Turning left out of the dealership I drop into the left lane because that is what you do when you over think things. And I'm thinking to myself - I got this! My over confidence is shattered at the first light where I'm supposed to make a turn but I haven't yet over thought turns so I blow through the intersection. Fortunately I'm able to pull a quick U turn and get back on track but little did I know this would set the tone for most of the day!
  11. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    I'm very familiar with roundabouts where I live...but the ones that run counter clockwise. This left hand travel has never made sense to me. After all, how is a Moto guy supposed to acknowledge the brethren with the sacred "two fingers way low" gesture of affection if said brethren are passing on his right? Do you let your hand off the throttle (now I'm wondering if that is the reason for cruise control on motorcycles)? Do you raise your left hand high with all fingers up in a parade style wave? I pondered this for hours with no clear resolve. I digress.

Back to the roundabouts. Now with low confidence and overly heightened awareness I enter my first clockwise circle paying so much attention to my position and the space around me I lose track of which exit I'm supposed to take and take the next one which I soon realize is the wrong one. No simple U turn this time. Exits off the A roads in Scotland are miles apart. And there is no Jonesin across the median like we do in the states. Dang. But at least I'm back in my new comfort zone. Keep left keep left keep left and follow the car in front of you. That is until the next bass ackwards roundabout.

And another premature exit in the wrong direction.

5 miles to next circular quagmire and repeat 5 more times.

Practice makes perfect I tell myself but I'm not getting any better at this!
    Dan Alexander and rubline like this.
  12. PaulTim2000

PaulTim2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm UK based. When riding on the continent it takes me 2-3 days to get used to roundabouts going the wrong way then I settle down and it becomes second nature. When I get back to the UK I'm second guessing roundabouts again for a day or so until I've adjusted back.

Enjoy your trip and thanks for bringing the good weather with you.
    Humunn likes this.
  13. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    @PaulTim2000. Good to know in a day or two I should have the hang of it! Ha ha. Funny...or scary thing is that I have moments I think I'm getting it and am drawn into a tad bit of complacency only to get that butt puckering shot of adrenaline when rounding a corner and, for a split second, believe the oncoming vehicle is in my lane!
    twowings likes this.
  14. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Not to overdiscuss the left side vs right side of the road issue but I was curious how the Brits came about to be left siders and was told it goes back when travel was by horse and you would approach an oncoming horseman on your right so that you could shake hands in confirmation that you weren't unsheathing your sword.
    liv2day and DiggerD like this.
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    After my tour of roundabouts I end up in the Stirling area. Worried about running out of time to make the ferry in Oban I scrap my planned route and take the A811 to A82 to A85 into Oban. I only had to deal with a few turns and the signing was good.

So far the roads are good but very narrow. I would venture to guess that they are at least 2 feet narrower than US roads. Maybe more. Oncoming large trucks take up almost the entire lane width with maybe a foot on either side to spare. The roads are curvey but traffic and lack of distance of site keeps rolling on through the curves at a minimum.

A couple interesting sites along the way. Massive horseheads. Not sure what that is all about but interesting.
    4D21BF98C4719FB1BB2281CBBB2772FA.jpg

Off to the left the remains of an old Roman road. Amazing the technology they had to build something that has lasted so long. Glad I got to see it as I was told that the Romans didn't push much into Scotland.
    E84E90C84BB8900C5878FC00050F9657.jpg

Another thing I hear over and over is how unusually nice the weather is and that it isn't normally this sunny for this long. Prepping for the trip I watched a lot of YouTube videos and almost all of them involved rain and overcast skies. So this is a real treat!
    BCB47496FB7C86061772619A317619F6.jpg
    MrKiwi and rubline like this.
  16. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Along the way I made a stop at the Green Welly which is apparently a lendary pit stop for moto riders.
    IMG_20180627_141018.jpg

Web info said it is known for whisky selection and ice cream. I opted for the latter.
    IMG_20180627_141535.jpg

IMG_20180627_141850.jpg

BMW seems to be the predominant choice of motorcycles here so am glad to fit in but I bleed orange so was nice to visit with a member of my Klan.
    IMG_20180627_144324.jpg
    twowings and rubline like this.
  17. rubline

rubline Coddiwomple

Oddometer:
    Loving the RR. I have a genealogy ?, How did you find info across the pond? I have a ancestor I have tracked back to 1680 leaving Ireland on a boat but it dead ends there.

:rickySafe travels
    Humunn likes this.
  18. NickW1

NickW1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done! If you remember to always keep your right hand to the center of the road you'll be fine.

We go to Colonsay about every two years for a family reunion in April/May during the festivals and walking tours. This last visit was especially poignant because our last relative living on Colonsay passed away a few months prior, she was wonderful lady whom we all loved dearly.

In any event, the Colonsay Hotel is managed by Ivan a very nice Ukrainian Chap who will bend over backwards to accommodate you. You can also stay at the Backpackers lodge which is very comfortable and much warmer and cheaper than the Hotel, sadly the Laird built a great big bloody wind turbine next to the Lodge that kind of spoils the whole effect.

You should visit the Grave Yard at Kilchattan to search for some of your ancestors, the Yard is has two sides, one old and one newish.

GOPR0247 (2).JPG
    You must also see the tidal Island of Oransay, inquiry at the Hotel as to the tide and plan carefully your crossing of The Strand because the 13th century Priory on Oransay is not to be missed!

GOPR0334.JPG
    There's so much to see on Colonsay and Oransay (Oronsay or Orasa) that I will leave you with that as I know your time is limited. If you can Squeeze in
    An Traigh Ban (Kiloran Bay the Fair Beach) do so, it rivals any beach in the world!

GOPR0374 (2).JPG
    Humunn, rubline and twowings like this.
  19. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    A libation emporium named "Whiskey Galore" has MY vote!! :thumb
    Humunn and NickW1 like this.
  20. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Humunn likes this.