A Highlander Returns Home. 200 Years Later.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Jun 10, 2018.

1. jfink

jfink Can't get there from here

Oddometer:
    Set to visit Ireland/Scotland in September, so I am in for this report.
    ubermick and Humunn like this.
  2. Jimbobvfr

Jimbobvfr Jimbob

Oddometer:
    Jfink.
    I know your words.
    I was wandering from the Eisenhower Expressway up North of Chicago. Got lost, missed a turn, ended up down in the city at a gas station.
    Asked for directions, and no shit, the owner walked out to the highway; looked left and then right. He says, You can't get there from here. I thanked him, and was on my way back north, by northwest. Somewhere along the way, I learned how to ride with a broken clutch.
    Not to steal the thunder, from the Humunn;
    Great show Chap!
    On my list of STD(Shit To Do) is follow my cestors back from the potato famine..
    enjoy the ride!
    Humunn and rubline like this.
  3. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    @rubline I'm an unprofessional genealogical dabbler at best o I can't take credit for digging up that info. Shortly after I became interested in the early 90s I received a letter passed on to me from distant cousin who lived on Prince Edward Island who was working with another cousin on a book about our families emigration. She also happened to be a certified genealogist. I knew enough to provide the missing info on my branch but they did all the heavy lifting on the project and research back to Scotland. On the Scotland side I know very little except for some bits of info I picked up from the local history expert on Colonsay. I've been told that Church records are your best bet pre mid 1700s.
    rubline likes this.
  4. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rubline and Humunn like this.
  5. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    @NickW1. Thanks for the great tips! I'm actually a few days out of Colonsay already but am behind on the RR. Good thing is I visited every site you suggested.
  6. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some good news for you if you are still planning on heading over the Bealach Na Baa. (The pass of th Cattle, over to Applecross). work has been completed 3 weeks early so the pass is open fully.
    Humunn likes this.
  7. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:

Your "Roman Road" was almost certainly a Roman "Aqueduct" or canal, I have seen similar in the Welsh Border country.
    Humunn likes this.
  8. griz2

griz2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The reason for travelling to the left of the road was so that your sword arm was toward anyone approaching from the opposite direction .

FYI The US only changed to the wrong side in 1919 ( Think back to the old cowboy movies , the stagecoach driver always sat on the right hand side of the seat , shotgun guard on the left ) . I believe it was because Henry Ford and his mates didn't wish to foot the expense of retooling after the huge manufacturing expansion of supplying vehicles for use in France during WW1 . Also the vast majority of drivers now in the USA had been trained in France and it was thought too difficult to retrain them .
    Richarde1605, Humunn and rubline like this.
  9. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Appreciate all the feedback. Am in Culloden right now. What a piece of history. Lots of RR to catch up on as I get good service. Every morning I get on the bike and say to myself....I'm riding a motorcycle in Scotland! How cool is that?!
  10. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:
    :thumb Great ride report! Keep it coming.........
    Humunn likes this.
  11. DiggerD

DiggerD DougFir from SuperDuke Days

Oddometer:
    Two funny AJ. First place that jumped out to me was "Elgin".

We have an Elgin in the north east corner of Oregon, for other non Oregon's info.

We built some high teck tools for a big name computer company in Scotland.
    They came over to check the tool out and for buy off.
    We asked what time of year is the best to plan a trip to Scotland.
    Reply was "One day in August". :lol3:lol3:lol3
    rubline likes this.
  12. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    That would be a wednesday generally...:photog
    Humunn, DiggerD and rubline like this.
  13. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now there’s a sign I could really get behind! Mmmm, whisky.

Thoroughly enjoying the report Humunn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Humunn likes this.
  14. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    One more diversion then back to the story. When I picked up the bike the BMW guys did a very comprehensive overview of not only the safety features of the bike but also driving rules in the UK, what the signage means and overall things to do, not do and watch out for. During this, one of the fellas looks at me and says, with a slight wink, "especially the horn-ed coos." Horn-ed coo? WTH is a horn-ed coo I wonder? I can only guess he's messing with me and referring to what we call a "Cougar" stateside. Then he showed me a picture. A horned cow! Something was definitely lost in translation.
    rubline likes this.
  15. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    So...back on track...after getting redirected by the roundabouts several times (another way to say getting lost without taking any personal responsibility) I make it to the Oban Ferry terminal with 45 minutes to spare. It's hot out. 30 C or 86 F. In prep for the trip I watched countless YouTube Scotland moto videos for 4 reasons: great roads to ride, must see places, an understanding of the weather conditions and most of all to get my head conditioned to riding on the left.

Regarding the weather I quickly surmised that odds were it would be cool and cloudy and I had a 100% expectation I would get rained on. I wasn't even teetering between whether I should bring my summer coat or my 3 season coat. I even brought my winter Gortex gloves! The Klim Badlands is a beast of a coat, and about as well vented as you could expect from something as heavy duty as it is. But when I would slow down or stop all I could think about was getting out if it. So, I'm all prepped for cold weather and rain but none in the forecast whatsoever. I think I can deal with it.

Back at the dock in the ferry loading zone I'm scrambling to get out of my self baking gear and a fellow makes a comment which turns into a conversation and then sharing of the monster sized scallops (see pic a few posts back). One of the things I like to do most when traveling is to spend time chatting with complete strangers. I really like to hear there stories and find myself imagining what their daily everyday lives are like. To see things through their eyes.

This couple was very friendly and maybe 70. The gentleman was a strapping fellow and I went on to learn that he played rugby back in the day. I bet he was a force to be reckoned with on the field. Now sporting two complete knee reconstructions, huge gnarled hands and various other signs of a life lived large I wondered about his thoughts on his past and present and future and somehow an understanding of that could provide a lesson to someone 20 years his junior. Our conversation reminded me of one of my favorite movies, Second Hand Lions. The two main characters are old now but tell a story about a life of adventure through the eyes of a young boy with a theme of going out "with your boots on." This fellow is a Second Hand Lion.

IMG_20180627_161058.jpg
    rubline and liv2day like this.
  16. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    The ferry ride is approx 2.5 hours. After a hot and semi tramatic first day journey it was a nice cool relaxing break. I kept thinking to myself, I'm in Scotland, on a motorcycle, riding a ferry. How cool is that?!

PANO_20180627_170847.jpg
  17. FoxT

FoxT n00b

Oddometer:
    Good luck, enjoy and share some pic with us
  18. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    During my genealogical research the same reference name kept showing up. Most of what I was reading was old information but I was able to find an email address and was able to make contact with Kevin. Leading up to my trip I had been in periodic contact with him about a face to face meet but never was able to get an absolute commitment from him. So I hustled off the boat and went straight to the hotel bar hoping he would be there.
    IMG_20180627_193540.jpg
    And there he was, hard to miss, a distinguished and somewhat artistic looking fellow sporting a scraggly beard and a bow tie sitting in the corner sipping a Chardonnay. We said our hellos and then he proceeded to download verbal information non stop for 30 minutes. While he barely took a breath his delivery was eloquent and detailed and I wondered in amazement how he could recall such specific historical details. I was grateful for the time and did my best to memorize the main points of the conversation - there was no way I could write that fast!
    IMG_20180627_202554.jpg
    rubline, twowings and DiggerD like this.
  19. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Completely spent I sampled a couple local gins, fresh oysters (not a fan but when you are in Rome...) and retired to a lovely view at the Colonsay Hotel. 170 miles and a cool ferry ride for the day.

IMG_20180627_204642.jpg IMG_20180627_205513.jpg IMG_20180627_215905.jpg
    B10Dave, rubline and twowings like this.
  20. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s so cool, the picture of you together is definitely one of those once in a lifetime moments.

Really enjoying the report, can’t believe the weather you’re having...laughed at the best time to visit-one day in August. And a big LOL about the horned-coos and what it meant (not cougar...bahahaha).

Continued safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rubline likes this.