A Highlander Returns Home. 200 Years Later.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Humunn, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Sleepwhenyoudie

Sleepwhenyoudie Running from the pillow

Oddometer:
    Great RR - can't wait to hear about it in person. Might be a trip to repeat after work is a distant memory. Next up, "Western States Giant Loop", more stories, more lies!
    Humunn likes this.
  2. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Absolutely. Let's ride!
  3. SuhthernBoy

SuhthernBoy Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Great RR, my ancestors also are from Scotland, always wanted to go there, doing it on a bike would be even better. Envious here.
    BIG^DALY and Humunn like this.
  4. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Greg, this is great! Thanks for posting the RR and including your insights at the end. I'm glad we got to meet waiting for the ferry. Safe Travels!
    Humunn likes this.
  5. BigAldo

BigAldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This was a great RR, and you landed lucky with the weather. 2018 was the best summer in Scotland for years!
    One wee point. the Roman road in post #35 is actually the old railway line - definitely not Roman. Its now part of a long distance cycling network.
    Midges are usually worse on the west coast, where the damper conditions suit their breeding cycle. Warm and damp = MIDGES!!! With such a dry summer the midges were scarce.
    Thanks for taking the time to post.
    Humunn likes this.
  6. Humunn

Humunn Agent Provocateur

Oddometer:
    Yes I heard over and over that the weather was highly unusual. Was a real treat for me especially since I fully expected fog and rain.

Thanks for the update on the road. I had a few others confirm it wasn't an ancient road as well. I think I assumed it was because a few people were parked on the side of the road taking pictures of it (and someone may have suggested it was an ancient road). Being the first day of my trip my excitement may have encouraged me to "believe" it was an old Roman road. Ha ha.

Did not experience even one midge at all...but bought the spray as I was warned heavily! Now I have it with me back in Oregon where I pack it on trips to battle mosquitoes (which I'm not sure works or not).
  7. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University

Oddometer:
    Gidday from New Zealand!

Fantastic RR

My family is from Glasgow and one day will visit. Dead right about the ‘some day’ thoughts.

Cheers and best wishes

Shane
    Humunn likes this.