A Journey Across North America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rudy4pl, Nov 12, 2019.

1. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats! You are one bad mofo!
    rudy4pl likes this.
  2. 10-96

10-96 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations. Loved the report.
    rudy4pl likes this.
  3. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Fantastic. I hope you are going to post about the TCAT? Just continuing from here on the report?

KR
    rudy4pl likes this.
  4. KTMtrailrider

KTMtrailrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope he is, I've never followed a TCAT ride report, but with Rudy's writing style and experiences, I would love to be able to read it and enjoy his adventure!
  5. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I was planning on doing the TCAT east to west on my trip to Deadhorse Alaska and Tuktoyotuk this year. Now I am wondering if I can instead do the TAT across country and hopefully when the border opens to cross over and do Alaska and then the TCAT on the way back. Still trying to figure this out. I was originally leaving on May1, now I am waiting until May 15 to see how things are starting to shake out. Was planning this trip for 5 years. Now it might not occur until next year. It was supposed to happen last year.

We will see.
    KR
    rudy4pl likes this.
  6. Cobra5150

Cobra5150 What? Where?

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!!
    rudy4pl likes this.
  7. Vacillator

Vacillator Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the entertainment over the last few weeks. It was sorely needed, and much appreciated. Good luck with your future travels.
    Manny U, rudy4pl and Ladybug like this.
  8. jwc

jwc Ready to go Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic report. Thanks for posting.
    rudy4pl likes this.
  9. Marbleminer

Marbleminer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your ride report. I admire the tenacity you have to stick with it when it gets tough! Bravo!!! As others, I hope you continue your posting of your TCAT experience!

I rode to Alaska, Dead Horse and Tuk last year. Probably was a good idea to pass on it this trip as weather was going to close in on you. But definitely make it another trip. Beautiful and a great place to ride!
    rudy4pl likes this.
  10. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really entertaining report and, as the others said, you're the new poster child for true grit!
    Manny U and rudy4pl like this.
  11. theecjsmith

theecjsmith Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm so enjoyed this thank you for sharing. I felt your highs and lows.
    rudy4pl likes this.
  12. mframe

mframe ozarkrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your trip! You did an awesome job of documenting the whole thing...you and that DR took a licking and kept on ticking!
    rudy4pl likes this.
  13. rudy4pl

rudy4pl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TAT expenses:

So how much money did it take to ride the TAT? To a person that's coming into this empty handed without a bike etc, then it would probably cost quite a bit. I use this bike as an everyday means of transportation and did not purchase it specifically for this trip so I won't include it. I'll also exclude the additional items I've purchased before I left, ie,: gear, but every penny spent on the road while on the TAT will be accounted for.

TAT (45 Days) - Food/Gas/Sleep:

TAT Spending gas-food-sleep.png

Total: $1,421.65
    Per Day : $31.59

I could have easily dropped that daily average spending to like $26.00/day if I purchased lesser quality groceries. Grocery cost also included cost of ice which varied from $1.50-$3.50 per bag, and it had to be refilled every 2 days on average. $0 spent in 45 days for sleeping, all free camping :D

TAT (45 Days) - ALL:

TAT Spending ALL.png

Total: $2,120.21
    Per Day : $47.11

Maintenance expenses mostly consist of tires, oil, new chain/sprockets, + a couple of small items. I could have probably ridden on 1 set of tires if I had purchased something less aggressive. I started on a fresh set of tires which I won't include, and throughout TAT, I purchased 4 rear tires and 1 front tire. 1 rear tire went to waste due to improper mounting procedure.

Electronics mainly consisted of tripods, usb cables and usb chargers.

Clothes consisted of mainly laundry. I think I might have put some laundry expenses under misc as this seems slightly low.

I could have probably dropped that daily average spending to like $34.00/day if I purchased lesser quality groceries, had less aggressive tires and ridden on 1 set. Once again, $0 spent in 45 days for sleeping.
  14. rudy4pl

rudy4pl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    April 18th: Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Saturday the U.S. and Canada have agreed to keep their border closed to nonessential travel for another 30 days and he said it will be undoubtedly longer before the restriction is removed.

Hopefully they do open mid may. TAT -> Alaska seems more like a safer option.
  15. GS2Trout

GS2Trout Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One of the most enjoyable ride reports I've read. Kudos to your persistence, your positive attitude, and your can-do spirit. An inspiration to us all, young and old.

I'm amazed at the detail you are able to recall for each day. Did you take notes while on the trip, or are you just remembering with the assistance of photos and videos?

Again, thanks for taking the time to write this. I look forward to further reports from you!

Best,
    Bill
    Manny U, KTMtrailrider and rudy4pl like this.
  16. rudy4pl

rudy4pl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I kept a journal which I updated every night, everything would have melded together otherwise :-). It's kind of a pita, but well worth it as you can go back and reference each specific day.
    Manny U, bamaphill and HiJincs like this.
  17. dcwilcox

dcwilcox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great ride report!

Congrats on make it all the way in spite of many trials and tribulations! I suspect these memories will last a lifetime! :clap
    rudy4pl likes this.
  18. Donniejoe

Donniejoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I would have known you were passing through. I live in Russellville and I ride a DR650. I have a shop with plenty of tools. I usually have an extra set of tires too. I'm sorta retired and could have quickly helped you and put you back on the road.
  19. strom thingie

strom thingie Lost and Proud! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! You are made of stern stuff.
    wetwider, rudy4pl and boulet_boulet like this.
  20. jense

jense Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late to the report ... I’m in
    rudy4pl likes this.