A Journey Across North America

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rudy4pl, Nov 12, 2019.

1. rudy4pl

rudy4pl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 13, 2019 Fri (Day 52)

The night was very cold and so was the morning. I heated up some oatmeal to warm up and when I got out, the tent was covered in a thin sheet of ice from the rain overnight. Mornings like that really want to make me stay inside longer, especially due to the fact that my clothes are partially wet.

I ride through many more wide open desolate areas and at around 2pm, the rear starts feeling weird, a little bit squiggly.

I pull over and it turns out to be a flat. The tube seems to be in a bad shape, but there is only 1 puncture and I resort to patching it as I don't have a fresh one on-hand. The whole process takes about 2.5 hours and I'm ready to hit the road again. After about 20 miles, the rear feels flimsy again...

Sure is another flat. It's pretty late already and it looks like it's going to rain soon. I take off the rear and start working on it. Soon a local drives by and stops. He was just driving back home from work, the six-pack couldn't wait :D. I'm not a big drinker, but it has been a rough day, sure why not. We chat a bit to the fine Canadian beverage. After a while he gets going and says he'll be passing by in the morning just in case I need some help fixing the flat.

At this stage I already had my tent set up, it is pitch dark, cold and raining so I'm not going to bother with the flat. I'll work on it first thing tomorrow morning.
  2. rudy4pl

rudy4pl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    September 14, 2019 Sat (Day 53)

The patch seems to have slipped off, maybe I didn't properly apply it. After patching the tube and mounting the tire, I notice that there is a pretty significant bend and crack in the rim. That can't be too good.

I put everything back together and keep on moving. After about 30 miles, that already familiar sensation of the loose rear wheel happens yet again. I think maybe I'm just paranoid, but nope, the rear is flat.
    2019 Trip (780).JPG

Last time I patched it, the hole was pretty significant and I was out of the big patches. Even though it seemed to be holding air when I partially inflated it, it might have started leaking when fully inflated to correct psi. I remove the partially detached former patch, clean and re-patch it again. There's about 25 miles towards next town, maybe I'll be able to get a fresh tube if I'm able to get there.

I get into town and immediately start looking around. I ask one of the passersby to see if he knows a motorcycle shop around here.

"What do you need?" he asks.

"My rim is cracked and I need a new tube" I say while pointing to the rear.

It just so happens that Ralph knew a guy that could help me. We go over to his friend's house and his friend knows a guy, and that guy knows a guy that could weld aluminum :D. I follow them in a heavy downpour. 45 minutes in, we finally get to his house and that's when the rain decides to stop :D.

2019 Trip (781).JPG
    The awesome dude that welded my rim on the left (I'm terrible with names) and Ralph on the right.

We get the rim welded and Ralph helps me getting a fresh tube. Tire seems fine upon inspection so we throw in the new tube and mount it. After a while I head out for some lunch with Ralph to Tim Horton's.

We split off after and I hit the road as I feel like I was not able to put on many miles in the past couple of days. It is wet, muddy and getting late. After about 50 miles I find a camp spot. As I'm pulling in, the rear feels off again...

Although it's not a heavy duty tube, it is a new one. I check the tire and feel it all around, there is nothing poking out that would cause a flat. Maybe it got pinched when putting on? Maybe there was some debris in between the tire and tube that caused a flat? Maybe I really got this unlucky and got an unfortunate legit flat on a new tube?

I set up my tent and decide to patch it up before I go to sleep. There is bear shit all over and a river flowing right by this spot. I can hear some people in the distance, hopefully that'll be enough to keep the bears away.
    Shekinahglori, knight, td63 and 11 others like this.
  3. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You my friend have brass balls. I've lost count at the times that I would have turned around. This is one of the most inspiring RR. A simple man with a simple bike against all odds and the fact that you purposely make it more challenging riding harder tracks, only camping and cooking. Absolutely inspirational. Thx for sharing. I'm ready for more now that I'm caught up.
    td63, Achro, wetwider and 4 others like this.
  4. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rudy4pl ~ Are you by chance related to Dr. Rock of Mobius fame? You two have the same distinctive speech patterns (maybe from Michigan?), both live now in NYC but don't sound like it (badda boom, badda bing, know what uh mean?) Both of you are riding your asses off on dirt whenever possible and you even look a little alike. 'Be kinda neat if you are kinfolk. Your interests and determination are sure similar!

Damn good ride, excellent report & photos. Thanks!