A Little Bigger Bike To Alaska 2017 (prep and planning)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many of you know I rode my little WR250R named Tess to Prudhoe Bay this past summer (Tiny Bike To Alaska 2016). The ride was lot’s of fun and I had a great time. Next summer I’ll be going back again (and again every year from now on). This time my friends from Australia and Wales will be coming along for the adventure.

My buddy Anthony from Wales bought a new Africa Twin for the ride. My two OZ friends and I bought three matching 2017 BMW F700GS's.
    This thread will document the set up and build of the three 700’s.

Traveling on the little 250 is a blast. She makes me slow down and really enjoy the journey. I’ve traveled on big bikes (1200GS) and recently on the little one. I’ve settled on the mid sized 700 as the best compromise for me. My two OZ friends have BMW's over in Australia and wanted to get two more to keep at my place when they come over to ride.

I wanted a bit more power, and most of all, tubeless tires as I’ve had three flats on the WR (not on the big rides though) while riding around my little patch here in North Carolina. Changing tubes on the side of the road SUCKS.

I’ve been traveling on motorbikes since the early 70’s and know what works for me. I’ve fitted out my 700 with stuff I think works, is cost effective because I’m cheap, and the best quality that I am willing to pay for. Please comment yay or nay about what I’m doing. Now that mine is almost done I’ve got two more to do!

So here we go....

The build so far.

IMG_2021.jpg

Let's start at the front and work our way back...

Simple mud front flap from JP Cycles will keep a lot of the crap off the engine.

IMG_2005.jpg

SW-Motech engine guards...appear well made...easy to install...fit perfect.

IMG_2006.jpg

RG Racing radiator guard...looks good...easy install...will give us all the protection needed with our easy non-technical riding.

IMG_1786.JPG

ADVrider973, mysz74, IB Mike and 5 others like this.
  2. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Cee Bailey headlight protectors.

IMG_2007.jpg

National Cycle Z-Technik V-Stream windshield system...absolutely first class and a wonderful still pocket of air on my upper body and helmet.

IMG_2008.jpg

SPOT tracker... had it for years

IMG_2009.jpg

My trusty Garmin Montana 600 mounted on a six inch Ram Mount

IMG_2010.jpg
    ADVrider973, GDP65 and leftleg like this.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Grab On foam grip covers...makes the grips bigger for my hands. Wrist Rest "cruise control"...simple...used one for 20 years.

IMG_2011.jpg

The cockpit...

IMG_2012.jpg

Wolfman Skyline tank bag...fits the 700 great...has fitted roll down inner waterproof liner

IMG_2013.jpg

I clip my temp controller for my Gerbing jacket and gloves on the tank bag

IMG_2014.jpg
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Russell Day Long seat...the best thing you can do for your butt

IMG_2015.jpg

iM2300 Pelican case....it's been on my 1200, the 250, and now the 700....perfect size for my stuff...it's bolted to a Touratech rear rack

IMG_2016.jpg

I found a good spot to carry two locks for the case should I need them...just drilled two holes and we're good to go

IMG_2017.jpg

I will be using Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddle Bags (soft)...the Touratech stainless steel racks are just about the best. The soft bags will fit on them just fine.

IMG_2018.jpg

5. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Another view of the racks

IMG_2019.jpg

Small aluminum Touratech skid plate....easy access to oil plug...super quality.

IMG_2020.jpg

Rear view....I'm having a welder install a small Rotopax mount on the right rack to carry a 1 3/4 gallon container....with the Rotopax installed the saddle bags will be equal in width on both sides

IMG_2022.jpg

That's it for now...more after the break :-)

Rapturee2, Zach440, Hi-De-Ho and 12 others like this.
  6. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great very good start! I just started re-farkling my "Tiny Bike". Madstad and Tusk "Medium" bags to compliment top mount Rotopak and Soft Duffel.
    Should scratch my itch until I step up to a midsize ;)
    F700 is on my (sensible) shortlist, along with the Ducati Desert Sled (emotionally very cool), Africa Twin (sensible), and forthcoming KTM 800 (known for
    lightweight performance). So many new bikes in the pipeline!
  7. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks good. You're going to keep stock suspension? I put Wilbers 3 way on my 2011 F650GS Twin. Made huge difference. I would say my best investment.
    holeshotz likes this.
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Isn't it fun to build up a new bike :thumb
    Zeekster likes this.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yeah stock for the first trip. After that we'll see what if any changes we need to make. We all ride pretty easy so stock may work ok....we will see.
    bozmotodual16 likes this.
  10. GF-kam

GF-kam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am in the middle of my own heart transplant. I am moving over $5K in farkle for my 2011 F650 Twin over to 2012 F800GS I picked up at Eurosport. Going big $$$ on suspension. Touratech both front and rear.

[​IMG]IMG_4788 by Kam A, on Flickr
    mysz74, lakota and bozmotodual16 like this.
  11. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    On my Alaska trip I had these bar mitts and really appreciated them in the cold, rain and snow.....and I use them in the winter here in the high desert of So Cal. I have similar product on my Goldwing and my KTM 450.

http://obradvgear.com/index.php/products/enduro-grip-mitt

With these and grip heaters I never used my heavy winter gloves and just used fairly regular ones. My gloves never got soaked.
    kylealden, Norrie, juno and 2 others like this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Awesome! I got the 700's from Eurosport. I walked in and told John I'd like to buy 3 2017's...he said are you kidding. Handed him a wad of cash and all is well!
    bobw and GDP65 like this.
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, just a question, do they sell a better skidplate engine guard so to speak that comes up further in the front to help protect the front of the engine? Such as the oil filter and what looks like a voltage regulator and some parts of your engine cases from rocks being sent up from front wheel? OR get a welder to adapt the one you have to cover more area....? Just asking? I always worry when i see an oil filter sitting out like those do? IF not what about carrying a few filters that have a velcro patch that holds a plastic shield just for the ocasional rock? OR glue a chunk of rubber to every filter? Anything? Nice job other than that .....I'm a K.I.S.S. type guy....hense a KLR, fix with a rock and duct tape....lol
    holeshotz likes this.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks for the link. I took a look and they are on my "list" of possible future stuff. We all have heated gloves and grips so we will see. Much appreciated!
  15. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I doubt he'll need anything like that during the summer months even as short as they are.....A set of simple bark busters will do, the ones with a larger plastic shield any way....I always worry about getting my hands caught in those big mitts so to speak....to each their own.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yes I agree that more protection is needed for the oil filter and heat exchanger....I will be building a small extension out of polypropplene that will bolt to the upturn on the skid plate and go up to cover the filter and exchanger. Thanks for the input.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I have the stock hand guards on the bike and have also installed the upper spoilers for a bit more protection. Lots of rain and cold last year on the Haul Road. The stock BMW guards are a bit small so a change to bigger ones may be called for later. Thanks.
  18. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks great! 2 comments.

First, why did you forsake the Madstad windshield? Second, is that a Russell Day Long Sport or Russell Day Long?

A 250 can be limiting. When I bought my XT225 it had to be light enough to ride on the front carrier hitch of my Excursion while towing a travel trailer. I've since switched to a motorhome and trailer, and could get by with a heaver (faster) small bike.
  19. Emway

Emway Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your ride report this past summer. The capability of the WR amazes me, and you had little Tess tricked out beautifully. Your new ride is looking just as sweet. Congrats. Sure wish I could get me one of those Russell seats, but living one country north with a currently pathetic dollar, it's just too cost prohibitive. Wishing you all the best on your adventures in 2017. Looking forward to another great ride report!
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I still love my little 250....lot's of fun and will keep her forever :thumb

I tried the Madstad and Cee Bailey offerings for the new 700's....both are high quality....the Madstad really bounced around when the road was bumpy and the windshield was so far forward that wind protection, for me, was not what I wanted. The Cee Bailey windshield, to clear the handlebar when turned from lock to lock was just too narrow (14 inches at the widest part). The V-Stream is 17 inches wide and has a nice shape where the air flows perfectly around me and the hand guards just barley touch when turned to the locks. All good.

The Russell is the "Day Long" version with the built in suspension...absolutely like sitting on Angel's hands haha!

Thanks. You know the Russell seat is only about $375...I think it's a great deal...I get a 10% discount because it was my third one I've gotten from them.
    Rapturee2 and bobw like this.