A Little Bigger Bike To Alaska 2017 (prep and planning)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for confirming my thoughts on the 700.

My theory with knee pain is this...when a motorbike seat is not comfortable you will use the muscles in your legs to add support to take pressure off your butt. You may not feel the muscles working but over a period of time they get tired and start to hurt. With a proper seat that supports your whole backside evenly your legs don't have to do anything but keep your feet on the pegs. I found when I switched to a RDL seat any discomfort from knee pain and lower back pain I had in the past with stock seats disappeared completely. I also found by raising the handlebars any pain in my neck went away too.

I'm loving the comments and hope to learn a lot from you boys and girls like I did when I posted the build for my WR.
    GDP65 likes this.
  2. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I use what they call an "AMPS" mount for the GPS...it powers the unit, charges the battery, locks the unit in place, and has an audio output plug if I want to hear turn by turn directions (never used it). I got the Touratech pigtail that plugs into the accessory plug under the fake tank cover near the battery. Simply connect the + and - wires properly and all is good. It is interfaced that way with the CANBUS system and powers off when I turn off the key.

IMG_2024.jpg

A simple plastic inner fender will keep crap of the shock and back of the engine....made by Maier

IMG_1733.jpg

I hard wired a lead from the battery to power my Gerbing heated gear, air pump, and battery tender when needed. I ran the wire down the inside of the frame from the battery and zip tied it off to the clutch cable. Then just run the wire down from the temp controller. The wires are protected inside the frame tubes and will not scratch any paint that could have occurred if the wire had been run down the outside of the bodywork. And yes...I remember to turn the controller off when I park to keep from running the battery down :-)

IMG_2023.jpg

More after the break....

ADVrider973, GDP65 and willys like this.
  3. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you adding any type of aftermarket fuse block for all your electrical items? Just to safegard the bike's electrical system..?
  4. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Not at this time...don't think I'll need one. The GPS is connected to the CANBUS through the powered mount and the only other thing I power (heated gear) is connected directly to the battery like I've done for years in the past with no problems. If I need to charge my phone or any USB stuff I'll plug a USB adapter thing from Powerlet into the socket by the key and run the cable that I'm using to charge anything into the tankbag.

IMG_2025.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

IMG_2027.jpg

I think the Powerlet stuff is really good quality.
    GDP65 and willys like this.
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I try and run most of my electrical outlets into my tank bag on long trips, just to keep all connections out of the elements. The calcium on the northern roads makes life very difficult for any electrical connection and will last for years inside the connections so i have found. I use a single power and ground connection from the power off the bike so the whole thing is easily removable if ever needed. I always use additional blade fuses to power anything from the bike, just to safeguard the electrical system of the bike, so if something does short out, it won't affect the bike's operation. Etc. Just my way, not everyone's way...lol
    ErikMotoMan and GDP65 like this.
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yes all good. The power from my battery to the heated gear is fused inline. The power to the GPS and dash socket is fused so to speak by the CANBUS so all should be good. Both of those things don't use much power at all. Folks who run stuff like extra lighting and gadgets would do well to use a fuse block. I used one on my WR because I powered the GPS, heated grips, and heated gear from the fuse block.
    ADVrider973, GDP65 and willys like this.
  7. ricatic

ricatic n00b

Oddometer:
    Tim

Great thread...learning a bunch...my Alaska trip is set for 2018...but I will be considered a bit of a wimp...wife and I and our dachshund will be traveling from Iowa to the Great White North with our fifth wheel toy hauler with the Victory and hopefully her 650 Dakar type(still working on that one) inside...day trips on the bikes whenever possible...I searched for the Victory to the Dempster but came up empty handed...maybe you could link it for me...

When is the rest of the "Tiny Bike to Alaska" video going to be ready...eagerly waiting...

Regards
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Sounds great! Give me a little bit and I'll find that ride report for you. It was pretty neat!. His username on ADV is "Rollin".

I'm almost finished editing Episode 8 of the Tiny Bike series. Should have it up on youtube next week. Thanks for watching.
    ADVrider973 likes this.
  9. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Pearl is the perfect name. Does Pearl have a gremlin bell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Not yet but being a BMW she may need one to keep the gremlins away :lol3
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
    You see, Rita was asking what she might get Pearl for a present ... you know with the holidays coming and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ChicoProf likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Haha a little bell would be just great :thumb
  13. gpax

Oddometer:
    Me again. Called JP cycles for mud flap. There's my bad luck again. Couldn't find anyone that could talk past the HDs and Cruisers in the catalog. Which mud flap would fit Rita. About to buy the medium one but thought I would run it by you before I plunked down my CC. Thanks, Greg

14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I ordered online and got the medium one. I think it's about $10.
  15. gpax

Oddometer:
    That's it!

16. gpax

Oddometer:
    Couldn't resist. Traded my single controller for a dual one after talking with The Warming Store. You see I couldn't resist the BF price of a pair of heated Gyde Gerbing gloves. Being cold is no fun. Couldn't help but notice your single controller. Do you use it with gloves and jacket at the same time? Folks at TWS nixed that idea for me. Hence the trade up.
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    Tim, I wonder what I am buying. Russell quoted me $595. Could it be my large Kiester? I told them to give you credit for my buy if they come up with some sort of finders reward. They knew who you were. If I don't stop raiding my secret stash for motorcycle stuff my wife may move me and my tent into the yard.
    Duck Dodgers and bigswede_dive like this.
  18. gpax

Oddometer:
    Tim, you know I copy off your paper when I can. I am 67 and I have a steep learning curve to catch up by May. But with your help I am coming along. My health now that my broken foot is healed is the best its been in years. Time to go is now. Called Tom at Cee Bailey. He is going to fix me up with headlight guards. I just need to wait for January to buy a few odds and ends $$$$ My tent and sleeping arrangements are nearing completion. Just need to figure out how to power my CPAP while camping. I am looking to carry about a 20AH dual battery and charge it while I ride. Any advice would be appreciated. 158 days until launch.
  19. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great looking bike Tewster. I like the Black and White look. I enjoy seeing how you customize your bikes to your needs. Thanks for sharing.
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hey I found the links to the guy who rode his Victory up the Dempster and the Dalton:

Hi. A friend would like to know if you did a ride report on your ride up the Dalton and Dempster on your VIctory.
    Yes!
    The Dalton ride 2012 - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/top-of-the-world.827740/
    The Dempster 2015 - http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/back-to-the-arctic-circle-inuvik.1086309/
    mcjetter, matbaugh and BigDogRaven like this.