A Little Bigger Bike To Alaska 2017 (prep and planning)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Dec 8, 2016.

1. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't be jealous, Tess....
  2. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good day all.
    Tim your post about pratice with a fire arm also applies to pratice with bear spray. Actual bear attacks are very rare and the usual suspect is the 3 year old that has been kicked out by mom and is trying to establish a territory for themselves. Everywhere they go the older bears chase them away and they get grumpy and sometimes when they come across a human they think that they can win that fight. Sows with cubs usually run away once the cubs are up a tree.
    Bear spray is a very short range weapon.
    When in Search and Rescue at a bear aware course we were told that you should wait till the bear is within 10 feet and try to spray when the bear is inhaling.... yeh sure...
    We praticed with the spray and different wind conditions....we had a few folks on the ground when it blew back in tbeir face and also when they sent a spray down range then promptly walked through where they had just sprayed..
    So it is a good idea to actually do a test spray to check for spray pattern and range.
    Or as a buddy of mine said....he would spray himself from top to bottom and hope the bear doesnt like spicy food....

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    zoid, rubline, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  3. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim - it would be nice to see a group picture of the circus before you hit the road :)
    rubline, slimy, GDP65 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    She has matured in the past year with her new boyfriend so she'll be ok with everything...hopefully :lol3

Good points for sure. Most folks would spray away as soon as the bear appears to be a threat and thus render the spray ineffective. A person has to mentally prepare themselves for the situation. Example...we trained that in a knife fight we're gonna get cut...you need the mindset that that you will survive no matter what and continue to effectively apply your training and weapons at your disposal.

Every person who carries spray needs to do a test squirt to make sure the canister is charged, operable, and keep it readily accessible when in bear country :thumb

The Princess, Gary, and Anthony fly in the first week of June....I'll try to get them when they are not acting up for a group photo :happay:happay:happay
    rubline likes this.
  5. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I took mine on my trip to James Bay. I normally ALWAYS test everything at home before I carry it into the woods. The bear spray I decided to not do that because I didn't want oily capsaicin around my house. When I got out into the woods, in the backwoods of Canada I decided to try it. It wouldn't fire. I eventually figured out that the cap had broken in such a way that it jammed the trigger and wouldn't fire. It was useless. This years trip, I will be firing that at home before I carry it 1200 miles and test it. So now I test everything before the trip, no exceptions any more.

KR
  6. GDP65

GDP65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Unknown.jpeg
    G'day ShineySideUp,

This is the best I could do at short notice.
    But guess what, not all is lost!!
    I'm the good looking one out of this motley crew....:lol3

Just having a joke...your idea of a group photo has a lot of merit. Where in.
  7. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I have a question T2, do people do the ride all the way to Deadhorse all in one day or is it pretty much a 2 day ride up and back?
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    For those of us heading out on our big ADV bikes...this guy just might be having the most fun :lol3....bravo well done! :thumb:thumb

Touring on a Rukus (Link to his ride report)

IMG_2599.JPG
    bobw, slimy, JagLite and 3 others like this.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Got the bikes side stands, center stands, and under carriages treated with ACF-50 today. This stuff is the ducks guts of corrosion prevention :thumb

IMG_2600.JPG
  10. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    T 2- its good you have a picture of how nice and shiny the bikes are now - because you know they will look 'a little different' when you finish your trip :lol3
    rubline likes this.
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Yep they'll never be the same....only better :lol3
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    A little over a week out from leaving. Time to mount a new set of Anakees on my bike.

A week out from a big ride I don't do anything more. I will NOT buy anything else. If I don't have the stuff I need now I don't need anything more. A final test ride in a day or so to make sure the tires are holding air and I'm done. The bike will stay parked until we load. Just my little bit of superstition :lol3

BTW...the front and rear only took 1 oz each of my Motion Pro black wheel weights to balance :thumb

IMG_2604.JPG

And for you astute observers...I took this photo before I removed the stock BMW wheel weights...

And...the white thing behind the tire is a X-Ray instrument that analyzes the tire to make sure there are no internal defects :-)
    slimy, GDP65, rubline and 4 others like this.
  13. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    "I will NOT buy anything else. I will NOT buy anything else. I will NOT buy anything else." Nope didn't work for me. I just bought a center stand :lol3
    JagLite likes this.
  14. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Never heard of X-Raying your tires. Please expand on this subject!
  15. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    @BarryB - he is pulling our leg. If you zoom in on the picture, the sticker on the white device (alleged x-ray) has reference to a float switch. I don't know of any x-ray machines that need a float switch.
  16. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Hahaha I'm full of shit some times. The white thing is a dehumidifier :lol3
  17. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    WOW, you do some terrific planning with not doing anything more a week before you head out. Impressive.

I leave Sat. for a week in Oregon and my bike doesn't have sprockets or a chain on it. My camping gear has been put away since last year. Routes haven't been finalized nor has much of anything other than the location and I'm hosting a campout that will draw about 100 people. I'll pull it together though, I always do. :evil

I'm looking forward to following the Circus and seeing what else I learn from you. :lurk For my next ride I think I will try you idea of having everything in place the week before I leave and not stressing myself out at the last minute like I normally do.
    bobw likes this.
  19. AppliedMotion

AppliedMotion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did you take the windshield off first before flipping it upside down?
  20. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    LOL what?