A Little Bigger Bike To Alaska 2017 (prep and planning)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Eaglpt

Eaglpt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bon Voyage!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    GDP65 likes this.
  2. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    I spent the night with Ray and Karen in Prince George. Ray grilled steaks and Karen made wonderful apple pie. We solved all the motorcycle worlds problems. What a hoot. They have you fixed up. What fun people. ❤️❤️❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GDP65, Taff1 and Tewster2 like this.
  3. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Keep your eyes out for Alaskan dogs

LINKY
    Bacca, GDP65, Tewster2 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    MotoVentures, uintamts, #1Fan and 2 others like this.
  5. Runwithscissors

Runwithscissors Runwithscissors

Oddometer:
    Let us know what you come up with for the CPAP.
  6. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    Installed a 18 AH sealed AGM aux battery in the left case. Plugged it into the electrical system with a solenoid and smart chip. The chip senses voltage and with sufficient power charges the aux battery. Works like a champ. The aux battery charges to around 13 volts. Drops to about 12 volts with a nights work and then recharged on the bike back up to 13.

I use a 25 foot Battery Tender extension cord between the battery and CPAP in the tent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sandsman likes this.
  7. MotoVentures

MotoVentures Stromaholic

Oddometer:
  8. Arby60

Arby60 Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer:
    I very much enjoyed your write-up and pictures. I have a 2017 F700GS. I put a Madstad windshield on it. I like the adjustability on it. My only complaint is that my arms in the bicep area take a real wind beating at speed. I was wondering if you experienced this and if the Z-Technik V-Stream shield has any similar characteristics. Also, does it come in different heights and did you have to experiment to find the right fit for you? Thanks again.
  9. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    There is NO wind at all on my arms, chest, or helmet with the V-Stream with the way it wraps around the sides and bottom. I tried the Madstad but didn't like the looks or the bouncing. The V-Stream comes in 16 or 19 inch heights. I use the 19...I'm 6 feet tall.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  10. Arby60

Arby60 Bluegrass Rider

Oddometer:
    I'm very interested in the V-Stream. The web site says it will not work with stock hand guards. How did you work around that?
  11. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The stock hand guards just barley touched the screen at full lock. I installed a set of 2 inch Rox Risors anyway and with a small tilt to the rear all is good.
  12. BigFiddle

BigFiddle Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. BigFiddle

BigFiddle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which size VStream did you get? I have a 2013 F700GS since new. We're planning an Alaska trip next summer. As you say, my Cee Bailey screen is too narrow, and also too short, so I added an XCreen extension, but the setup is clunky and leeks air the VStream might be just the ticket.
  14. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Mine is the 19 inch version and works perfect!
  15. worthydog

worthydog Shosholoza Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought an F700 and I really appreciate all the setup information here. I rode to Fairbanks a few years ago on my R1200gs and it was a memorable trip. My only advice is to protect your bike from the road elements as much as possible. The stuff they put on the roads in Alaska is gnarly. A generous tip at motels will get you access to a hose for a daily wash down.

I think the F700GS is a fabulous base on which to build an ATW bike. I have owned an F650 twin and the 12GS in the past. I am looking to build a light, low and comfortable bike. The first things I want to fix are the Windscreen (I am thinking Aeroflow touring screen), the pegs (Fastways?), GPS (which Garmin?), crash bars (Altrider was pretty good on my F650), and suspension.

The suspension has me stumped. What is the premier solution on the forks? How are people upgrading the rear shock? I have enjoyed Ohlins in the past. Do you walk away from the Automated suspension control? I am willing to pay for top quality suspension. In my experience, it is worth the cost. Any tips on my build are appreciated.
    Tewster2 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  16. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

This is what has worked great for me. YMMV. I have the Garmin Montana 600/610. Love it. I add any maps I need for whatever trip I am making. I have the Touratech upper and lower crash bars. They have saved my bike from low speed drops many times. Worth every cent. I have the Pivot Pegz and I love them. I have considered an Olin but for me, I just don't think it would be worth it. I also keep going back and forth on a different wind screen and I have looked at the Cee Bailey and a couple of others. I don't pull the trigger because I don't think they will really do anything useful for me. When its wet, my wet weather gear protects me, when its hot, I want the airflow. So, so far, I haven't gotten a windscreen

Now, I have about 7000 miles in some remote areas sometimes solo, James Bay, the Trans Labrador highway and I don't expect to change any of the items I have listed. Next year I plan on another attempt at Caniapiscau and in 2019, its going to take me to Deadhorse AK. Set up just as it is. For me, this stuff works and it works great. And I am also on a 2015 F700GS.

KR
    worthydog and Tewster2 like this.
  17. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    The only things I've added since the trip are the Fastway Adventure foot pegs....like standing on floorboards and really comfy...and a set of the small 31/38 liter Touratech panniers. I may opt for the Wolfman Ranier tankbag to replace the Skyine one.

As far as suspension, stock works just fine for the way I ride. I like a nice soft ride. I travel light so no need to change the rear spring. I may change from the factory 7.5 weight fork oil to 5 wt before the next big ride to soften up the front a bit more for riding over the rivets on the Dalton.

Other than that the thing is PERFECT for the way I ride.
    bobw, CavReconSGT and worthydog like this.
  18. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I did a very similar set-up, except I could unplug my battery and move it into my trailer. I get 4 days from 1 charge.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Well we will see....putting a new A/C system ($) in the house here in the mts and with the storm about to hit my place in Florida and then predicted to head up here in the Carolinas, next year's long ride may be in question. Praying that the damage is minimal but all options are on the table at the moment.

:dirtdog
    bobw likes this.
  20. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    This post belongs in http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/first-world-problems.982460/
    Tewster2 likes this.