A Little Bigger Bike To Alaska 2017 (prep and planning)

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tewster2, Dec 8, 2016.

1. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Good luck with the repairs and hopefully Irma veers off and/or looses steam. Many First World Problems are truly laughable, but I still enjoy electricity, my heat pump comfort and communications, etc. They're certainly not on the scale of Loss of Health, Mother Nature's hurricanes and fires, etc., but can still be costly and/or last straw on the camel's back, salt in the wound issues that remind me to try to plan well, but always take that ride on the Merry Go Round whenever you can as one just never knows..........

Cheers
  2. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very well stated there Mr Bob....I'm on a limited budget so juggling things I want to do and things I have to do is the deal of the day :lol3
    If it means a shorter trip then it is what it is :hmmmmm

Got many months to get stuff sorted. I wanna let everyone know that are planning on meeting up with us well ahead of time that things may be adjusted a bit as time gets near. I don't want to make anyone mad at me :hide
    Hi-De-Ho and bobw like this.
  3. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I just realized I posted this stuff in the 2017 thread...needs to be in the 2018 thread....I'm a dummy :norton
    Bacca, Brucester and bobw like this.
  4. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:

LOL. I can appreciate that, retirement is great and I enjoy doing so much, but there are no more "at bats" for extra $ so I pretend to be responsible for the most part. I sat out any big trips this season as next year I too have Aussie friends returning to ride here and in the Canadian Rockies and then a separate run to Alaska with some friends I used to work with. Those two trips (hopefully I can herd cats enough to roll from one to the other with good timing) along with being back to my annual around the lower 48 to see the grand kids will benefit greatly from the monies saved due to my abstinence. What could go wrong.....................

Cheers
    Hi-De-Ho, Brucester and Tewster2 like this.
  5. Roaddawg

Roaddawg MotoLoco

Oddometer:
    Hello Tim, do you recall how much he cut off the sidestand? 3/4" or an inch?
  6. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    I'll measure the stands today and let you know....I think I remember the guy cut off an inch.
  7. Roaddawg

Roaddawg MotoLoco

Oddometer:
    Thank you. And did you notice an exaggerated leaned angle between the other 700's and Princess' 700?
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Not really....Pricesses side stand has the factory shortened one.
  9. Rutsref

Rutsref Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tewster, Hope you're doing great! Question, what was done to Princess' 700 to shorten the rear suspension?
  10. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    She has the factory lowered suspension.
  11. Brucester

Brucester Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping you are right about the retro-fit, but so far cruise control has not been announced for the 2018 700 or 800. Like you, I have relied on the cramp busters for a long time now. They work great-just be careful on very aggressive hard right turns;-)
    CavReconSGT likes this.
  12. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Yep I've been using the crampbuster style of thingy for decades. Never even thought about a cruise control. I pay about $10 for the crampbuster. If BMW offers an electronic one in the future for $10 I may get one. If not I'll just use the money to travel more :thumb
    Brucester, CavReconSGT and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  13. Rob Rough Rider

Rob Rough Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Rob Rough Rider

Rob Rough Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice bike. I am without a bike right now and am looking at a F700gs 2013 model with 17000 miles on it in super condition, I'm looking for a around town and trip around my state, and to do a trip to the tip of Alaska & back. Love endure style bikes and really like the BMW, never owned one. I live in the USA in Montana. So light weight and traveling on dirt road are a must. Seems like this bike has enough power. Just like to hear some opinions??
  15. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    I have one. I love this bike. I have taken it to James bay, and have done the Trans Labrador highway this year. Next year I plan on going back to try to do the trip to Caniapiscau and 2019 I am going to Tuk and Deadhorse. There is no other bike I would do the trip on. It's got enough power to carry the stuff I need to take and do highway speeds without breathing hard. It's not as heavy or as tall as the 800 or 1200. Not disparaging the other bikes, I think they are great also but for me this is the perfect bike.

KR
  16. husqzilla

husqzilla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit late on this. I used to be a AAA member and once ran out of gas on the way home from work. I called AAA and they were prepared to send someone with gas. They asked for my location and vehicle description. When they heard I was on a motorcycle they told me it was not covered. Now policies might vary from local club to club, but it would pay to check before you find yourself at the side of the road.
    gpax likes this.
  17. gpax

gpax 2018 Honda NC750XD

Oddometer:
    I bought the motorcycle add-on for my AAA membership which adds roadside assistance. I used it for a tow out of sand in Utah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    rubline likes this.