A little help - Red Lodge, Montana

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by mhm2a, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mhm2a

mhm2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The short story. Not prepared for multiple flat tires on our journey. Have another flat, limp to Red Lodge.

Looking for a replacement front tube for a BMW GS (275-350 21inch). I have tried Rocky Mountain Tire and other local repair places w no luck.

Hoping someone in the area may have one on their shop shelf or in a side bag as a spare!
  2. cidi

cidi cidi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any 21” tube will do. Don’t worry about the other numbers.
    What model bike is this for? 650 or 800?
  3. Omi

Omi Out of step

Oddometer:
    As a last resort, you can go to one of the bike shops in Red Lodge and get a tube patch kit. It should work if the hole is small enough. They may also carry some sort of tire sealant that may work in a pinch.
  4. mhm2a

mhm2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    800GS
  5. mhm2a

mhm2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slimed and I picked up a patch kit! Would still like an extra 21 inch tube for peace of mind!
  6. Hipster

Hipster Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like there's a Harley shop in town, I've bought 21" tubes from Harley dealers while on the road. Some Harley models use 21" inner tubes.
  7. mhm2a

mhm2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley guys had some 19” and other sizes but nothing in 21”
  8. ATCguy

ATCguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mhm2a likes this.
  9. mhm2a

mhm2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update: Slimed and went for a 40 mile ride around Red Lodge. Tube is holding pressure. Picked up a few patches locally. A few more places will be open tomorrow so we will see? Headed to Cooke City tomorrow and then to Jackson Hole via Yellowstone.
    Omi likes this.
  10. Rocky Mountain Motos

Rocky Mountain Motos On a long leash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad its working for you! I'm in California at the moment, otherwise I would have sent you right over to my place for a tube. I'm not a retail shop, but I'm sure I have a couple around. If you decide you need one, I'll give the wife a head's up and have her dig for one and meet you at the house.
  11. mhm2a

mhm2a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Update to the update:

Slime didn’t hold so we headed to Billings, MT to get a new tube at the local Honda shop. Found metal inside the tire, removed, inspected, and installed a new heavy duty tube.

Bought an extra for a spare and then we went back to Red Lodge. Gassed up and headed over Beartooth Pass to Silvergate in a damn blizzard. Glad I didn’t have to deal with tire problems there!

Went back thru Yellowstone today and we are in Jackson Hole for the night, then back to Salt Lake. All is well and I appreciate the advice/help!
  12. OnOff

OnOff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have extra 21" tubes in SLC. Might be at the end of your journey? PM me if you need one when you get into SLC.