a long, long XS650 project.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by toglhot, Aug 10, 2020.

1. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This will be a very long project: I have psoriatic arthritis which affects my fingers, hands arms and so on, so I can never ride a bike again. My enjoyment comes from building stuff, even though it takes a hundred times longer to do anything, I still manage in my workshop. I can't manage hammers, screwdrivers and those sort of tools very well, and using them causes a lot of pain, so everything takes such a long time to do now. I've since had my index finger and middle finger on my left hand fused, the little and ring fingers have had joint replacements, just last week. Can't do much of anything at the moment with left hand out of action and the right useless hand is even more useless by itself. I'll be getting that one done a little later in the year.

I bought an XS650 a while back, it was in terrible shape: Every nut and bolt was rusted, aluminium was badly oxidises and the upper engine case had chain damage, tearing the shifter drum bearing housing off.
    I bought new, second hand cases, punched the original number on , bead blasted everything, rebored the barrel, bought new pistons, rings, gudgeons, cam chain, gaskets, seals and quite a few other bits and pieces, had the oil tube, points covers, head nuts re chromed, polished the sidecovers, tappet covers, breather box, dipstick, cam chain adjuster and carb tops and bottoms.

The cases, barrel, head and rocker cover were painted silver and the motor re assembled. The motor started up with the first push of the button and I synchronised the carbs using my homemade manometer. Unfortunately, I found it rather drab looking, so I tore it down again, blasted the paint off, re painted it black, re assembled it and started it up again, first push of the button and with the short pipes it certainly made a racket. The new timing light I bought has proved troublesome: It doesn't flash and the cuts running for some reason, so I'm stuck with static timing until I can find the problem.

Whilst waiting for parts, I de spoked the wheels, the spokes were totally stuffed so they went in the bin. I ground the rim edges to smooth off the tyre lever damage, then polished them. The hubs were mounted on my lathe and trued up before polishing. I also polished the lower sliders, brake backing plate, top triple tree and brake hose mount. The switchgear was blasted clean, re wired and polished.

I also removed frame tabs for sidecovers and seat, welded new sidecover tabs on and beat up some aluminium sidecovers and polished them to see how they look, probably paint them later as it looks a bit much. A new battery carrier, made from 3mm aluminium, was bent up, along with new rubber mounted carriers.

I've fabricated some nice, chunky, 10 mm thick aluminium engine brackets which I've polished and also bought some new stainless fasteners which I've also polished. Also fabricated a single seat base with rear cowl.

I do all work myself: Spannering, paint, upholstery, polishing, tin work, etc. The only thing I can't do is chroming and sand blasting the frame. Today I raced around trying to get parts for an electronic ignition build, no go, too expensive. So, I'll have to be content with points. Yes I know I can get a Pamco, or a Hughes, or a Newtronic, but no enjoyment from buying stuff.

Anyway, here;s some pics of the bike as bought, showing the damage.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      209.6 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      88.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      58.7 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      331.7 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      631.3 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      669.8 KB
      Views:
    • 31.jpg
      31.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 34.jpg
      34.jpg
      File size:
      211.7 KB
      Views:
    • side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      289.9 KB
      Views:
    • stand.jpg
      stand.jpg
      File size:
      247.2 KB
      Views:
    blacktruck, Scoozi, banjaxxed and 6 others like this.
  2. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some more bits that came with the bike, most will be sold off as I'm building a custom.

Attached Files:

mrsdnf likes this.
  3. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's some of the polishing I've done.

Attached Files:

• 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      266.7 KB
      Views:
    • 35.jpg
      35.jpg
      File size:
      247.3 KB
      Views:
    • 37.jpg
      37.jpg
      File size:
      70 KB
      Views:
    • 38.jpg
      38.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
    • 49.jpg
      49.jpg
      File size:
      244.1 KB
      Views:
    • 39.jpg
      39.jpg
      File size:
      352.2 KB
      Views:
    • 40.jpg
      40.jpg
      File size:
      310.6 KB
      Views:
    • 48.jpg
      48.jpg
      File size:
      312.7 KB
      Views:
    • 33.jpg
      33.jpg
      File size:
      49.8 KB
      Views:
  4. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    this is the first rebuild in a stand I made for the assembly and the first manometer I made up. Engine is in a new wheeled stand I made up so I could move it around my workshop.

Attached Files:

Gupster likes this.
  5. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Wow. Nice work toglhot. You certainly picked one poorly maintained bike to rejuvinate.
  6. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the second rebuild in the wheeled stand and my second manometer build.

Attached Files:

JagLite, Gupster, AK650 and 5 others like this.
  7. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Video of manometer in use.
    JagLite, AK650, gmk999 and 2 others like this.
  8. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First start up.
    JagLite, MacNoob, AK650 and 2 others like this.
  9. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW Toglhot, your workmanship is amazing, especially considering the limitations you have in your hands you mentioned earlier.
    The polishing and finish on that engine etc is flawless.
    Keep up the great work, looking forward to the progress on your build.
    AZ Pete, Scoozi and mrsdnf like this.
  10. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    these are a couple of side panels I beat up from 1.5mm ally. difficult to make fit as top and bottom rails are not on the same plain, bends are at different spots and angles are different. After shaping them I bent and twisted them to follow the rails. Once done I inserted grommets in them, spun up some positive stop grommet nuts and added tabs to the frame for mounting. Then, just to see what they would look like polished, I spent a little time on the polisher.

Attached Files:

• 65.jpg
      65.jpg
      File size:
      338.1 KB
      Views:
    • 67.jpg
      67.jpg
      File size:
      291 KB
      Views:
    • 67.jpg
      67.jpg
      File size:
      291 KB
      Views:
    • 64.jpg
      64.jpg
      File size:
      285.7 KB
      Views:
    • 68.jpg
      68.jpg
      File size:
      226.9 KB
      Views:
    • 70.jpg
      70.jpg
      File size:
      330.4 KB
      Views:
    • 73.jpg
      73.jpg
      File size:
      180.8 KB
      Views:
    • 72.jpg
      72.jpg
      File size:
      308.4 KB
      Views:
    • 71.jpg
      71.jpg
      File size:
      288.6 KB
      Views:
    JagLite, Gupster, AK650 and 5 others like this.
  11. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And some chunky engine mounts I made from 10mm ally, polished them and bought some stainless fasteners to fit them, then polished them as well.

Attached Files:

JagLite, AK650, Scoozi and 2 others like this.
  12. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love your skills toglhot.
    AK650 likes this.
  13. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A new seat base, twice. Built this seatbase with cowl from 1.1mm sheet. After cutting to shape, the sides were beaten down and the rear section rolled up. A cowl was then bent to shape around the upright and welded. Front mount is a rubber covered spigot, welded to a flat plate and bolted to the nose. I then bent up a raised section to cover the tank mount and welded that in Position. The rear mounts are grommets set into the cowl into which are fitted a couple of positive stop nuts I turned up. A couple of threaded tabs were welded on the rear seat loop and the rear of the seat is bolted to them. Rubber mounted seat to guard against vibration.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      315.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      75.2 KB
      Views:
    • 89.jpg
      89.jpg
      File size:
      334.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      210.2 KB
      Views:
    • 86.jpg
      86.jpg
      File size:
      231.4 KB
      Views:
    • 87.jpg
      87.jpg
      File size:
      297.8 KB
      Views:
    • 90.jpg
      90.jpg
      File size:
      257.3 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      369.3 KB
      Views:
    • 92.jpg
      92.jpg
      File size:
      373 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      631.3 KB
      Views:
    JagLite, AK650, Scoozi and 2 others like this.
  14. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of switchblocks I resurrected. Bead blasted the cases and levers, soldered new wires on the circuit boards and polished the exteriors. Probably won't be using them, but, they were annoying me!

Attached Files:

• 21.jpg
      21.jpg
      File size:
      527.3 KB
      Views:
    • 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      669.8 KB
      Views:
    • 23.jpg
      23.jpg
      File size:
      477.8 KB
      Views:
    • 20.jpg
      20.jpg
      File size:
      631.3 KB
      Views:
    • 25.jpg
      25.jpg
      File size:
      451.2 KB
      Views:
    • 24.jpg
      24.jpg
      File size:
      401.3 KB
      Views:
    • 28.jpg
      28.jpg
      File size:
      265.6 KB
      Views:
    • 26.jpg
      26.jpg
      File size:
      266.7 KB
      Views:
    JagLite, Scoozi, zzzak and 4 others like this.
  15. neppi

neppi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look ad daat, Jimmy, Look ad daat!

Awesome job, Man! I’m jealous
  16. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Little known fact: Those phillips head screws on Jap bikes aren’t phillips heads at all, they are JIS. Although they look the same, JIS heads have a slightly different slot angle, continual use of Philips head drivers results in wrecked screws. Easy to fix: Buy JIS drivers, or replace with allen heads. I chose the latter approach. The clutch pressure plate screws had JIS heads, and of course were all stuffed. To fix, I faced the head of the screws to remove the slots, cut the threads off and bored a 6mm hole through them. An allen head screw was then cut to size and inserted, a worthwhile mod this one. Another problem area on the XS650is the sump filter: On the corner nearest the oil intake, the mesh is flat, rather than folded, so it tends to tear with the excess pressure. To fix, I beat up a small, thin, ally cover, covering the area and drilled a few holes for the oil. This is a very well known mod!

Attached Files:

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      66.7 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
    • 16.jpg
      16.jpg
      File size:
      64.9 KB
      Views:
    • 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      230.2 KB
      Views:
    • 18.jpg
      18.jpg
      File size:
      317.5 KB
      Views:
    • 19.jpg
      19.jpg
      File size:
      214.5 KB
      Views:
  17. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couple of tools made up to help stripping and reassembly. The auto advance is held in place by a thin castellated nut usually undone by a hammer and punch, you can guess the condition of the nut after removal. To lessen the damage I turned up a bit of tube and filed down to leave four teeth. Filing is a little rough, but it works. Second tool I made was a puller to remove the rotor. Thread on the rotor is rough, so I threaded a bit of pipe on the lathe with a very tight thread, takes a bit to get it on the rotor thread, but once on it works fine. I also welded up a rod to hold the clutch centre hub in place when tightening and untightening. It locks into the grooves of the centre hub, independent of the outer basket. Usual tool is a plain and a fibre plate bolted together, thus locking the inner hub and basket together. It's not unknown for these tools to break a tab off the basket, not a chance of that with this tool. I also turned up a Delrin panel hammer using a ball turner attachment I made for the lathe a while back, first time it's been used in anger. Used the hammer to straighten the rear guard. The guard has some rather large dents beaten into it for some reason, also a few dings around the tail light bracket. Couldn't get the dents out of the rolled edge, but nothing a bit of bog can't fix.

That's about it for now, not much I can do at the moment with just one hand. I have assembled the hubs over the last couple of days, bead blasted the disk carrier and started drilling some holes in the disk with a special grind on the drill bit, these disks are damned hard, wrecked a couple of bits before grinding steeper cutting shoulders and a steeper rake on the drill, did the job, no more wrecked bits.

Attached Files:

JagLite, Scoozi and mrsdnf like this.
  18. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very nice.
    AK650 and Fast Idle like this.
  19. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful work, loving the home made tooling and fabrication, serious skills :beer
    mrsdnf, AK650 and neppi like this.
  20. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A little more work: Just put the front hub together using sealed bearings, bead blasted the disk holder and drilled a few holes in the disk. Also put the rear hub together with sealed bearings. The Teles are also together, I removed all the casting marks from the sliders and polished them again, they look 100% better without the casting marks. Unfortunately I dropped the left side slider and damaged the seal surround, bugger! I'll try the aluminium brazing rods I have and see i f I can repair it. I'm thinking of doing away with the sidecovers and either making a polished aluminium battery carrienr and making a feature of it, or I'll shorten the sidecovers at the front and attach brackets to the battery carrier for the sidecovers, that way I wont have to mak e splayed manifolds.
    All one handed, had the left hand index and second finger fused and the ring and pinky got new PIP joints. Not easy with just one hand all this work, but, this Yamaha is yelling at me!

Attached Files:

JagLite, AK650, scot_douglas and 2 others like this.