a long, long XS650 project.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by toglhot, Aug 10, 2020.

1. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Progress: Rear end done, all I have to do now is front brake line, wiring, spoking, upholstery. Although, I do have an oil cooler and remote filter to fit.

Attached Files:

AK650, mrsdnf and zzzak like this.
  2. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I spent far to long looking at the seat base before I realized, could you take a photo or two from the rear of the bike please.

In the pics of the bike on the trolley I'd say the black.
  3. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    id say the alooomineeeeum one as its just a nice little pop of not black back there.
    AK650 and Mr. Fixit like this.
  4. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    The shiny one....
  5. zzzak

Oddometer:
    The shiny black one ?
  6. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to fit a cooler and a remote, spin on filter on the bike, I didn't like the look of the way others had done it: Screwing a fitting into the face of the original oil filter cover, nor did I like the idea of cutting a section out of the sidecover and screwing a fitting into the side of the the filter cover, so I came up with this idea. I think it looks a bit more integrated and not so 'add onish'. Still have to polish it yet, but I'm waiting on the arrival of the oi cooler, so I can replicate the barb size. The barb will be shrunk in, rather than a screw in, brass one, for a neater fit. The big lump of ally in the pictures will become an oil filter housing. For anyone thinking that it looks like fun making stuff like this, look at the lathe, the mill and the floor are even worse. Now I have to clean this mess up!

Attached Files:

AK650, nostep, villageidiot and 2 others like this.
  7. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    sweet mess
    AK650, nostep and villageidiot like this.
  8. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Polished is better, just couldn't help myself!

Attached Files:

• d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      317.5 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg
      e.jpg
      File size:
      302.9 KB
      Views:
    • f.jpg
      f.jpg
      File size:
      265 KB
      Views:
    AK650, mrsdnf, nostep and 2 others like this.
  9. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Edge radius might look nice. Looking good overall.
    AK650 and villageidiot like this.
  10. 893cv

893cv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Australian XS650 group has plans for a spin- on filter mount that eliminates the fragile screen located in the sump. I've seen several of those screens fail. Nice work so far!
  11. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    Making the stuff is fun. Cleanup, not so much...

Thanks for sharing the project with us all.
    AK650 likes this.
  12. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oil filter housing machined, have yet to machine up some stainless, threaded barbs to sit in top of the filter housing, I will also have to remake the engine mounts for cooler installation. The filter is quite unobtrusive where it sits, but will become more obvious after the cooler is installed. It'll sit just above the top of the engine mounts. Still waiting for the cooler and an M12x1.25 tap so I can tap the filter housing and oil outlet on the side panel.

Attached Files:

AK650, JagLite, mrsdnf and 1 other person like this.
  13. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Busy day today, scrapped the old engine plates I made a while back and made a couple of new ones. I decided to mount the the oil filter housing a bit lower, around an inch, so had to extend the engine mounts to accommodate it. I also made up a cross plate to mount the cooler on. Polishing is only a rough job, I'll finish it off when the cooler arrives. A bit of a jigsaw to put together, but everything fits well. Still waiting on the cooler though.

Attached Files:

AK650, JagLite, Fast Idle and 2 others like this.
  14. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The oil cooler arrived, what a piece of rubbish. Add said 12mm inlet, it is but it goes down to a 6mm hole. The finish is rough as guts and it's bent. Can't find any others other than ones for pit bikes, so, looks like I wont be running a cooler.

Attached Files:

15. zzzak

Oddometer:
    I never needed one but I was in NZ at the time.
  16. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A couple of new switches arrived this morning. These are momentary on switches mounted on the rear saddle clamp of clutch and brake levers, taking the place of the originals. Good for starter and horn functions. The switchblock beside it has two rocker switches, available in either on/off or on/off/on, good for indicators, headlight, hi/lo beam, etc. I'm using these instead of the standard handlebar switchblocks.

Attached Files:

JagLite, AK650 and zzzak like this.
  17. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An oil cooler arrived today, much better than the crappy other thing I bought, really good quality. Just have to make a mount for it. I've turned up some stainless fittings for the cooler/filter feed, the one on the right is what the spin on filter screws onto, 20mm x 1.5 thread with a 12mm x 1.25 thread internally. The fitting to the left of that screws into the top of it, sandwiching the filter plate between. The one to the left of that is also a 12mm x 1.25 threaded fitting that'll screw into the sidecover oil supply passage from the pump. The passage from the pump is 10mm, but the remaining oil passages are all 8mm, as are the drillings in the AN6 fittings on the cooler, so I drilled the fittings 8.5mm. Still have to thread the middle fitting, make another similar one for the return hose and polish them up yet.

Attached Files:

AK650, JagLite and mrsdnf like this.
  18. Mr. Fixit

Mr. Fixit Reevaluating

Oddometer:
    Looks like you got a good surface finish on those fittings. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished assembly.
  19. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, finally got around to tapping the front of the sidecover. I hate jobs like this, there's always the fear of stuffing it up and ruining a part, but, all went well: drilled out the oil pump gallery to 10.8mm, tapped it to M12 x 1.25 for 40mm to cover the gallery to the old oil strainer, countersunk the top of the hole to allow for an O ring and inserted the stainless spigot I turned up, looks quite alright.
    Whilst I had the cover off, I removed the kickstart mechanism and turned up a couple of bungs to cover the hole.
    Remote filter and cooler and bracketry are all done, just waiting for the 120degree AN6 fittings to arrive so I can connect the hoses. I'll post pictures as soon as the connections are done.

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      371.6 KB
      Views:
    • b.jpg
      b.jpg
      File size:
      237.5 KB
      Views:
    • c.jpg
      c.jpg
      File size:
      296 KB
      Views:
    • d.jpg
      d.jpg
      File size:
      362.3 KB
      Views:
    • e.jpg
      e.jpg
      File size:
      274.3 KB
      Views:
    • f.jpg
      f.jpg
      File size:
      166.7 KB
      Views:
    • g.jpg
      g.jpg
      File size:
      240 KB
      Views:
    • h.jpg
      h.jpg
      File size:
      213.1 KB
      Views:
    • i.jpg
      i.jpg
      File size:
      313.9 KB
      Views:
    • j.jpg
      j.jpg
      File size:
      248.8 KB
      Views:
    HuckIt, AK650, mrsdnf and 1 other person like this.
  20. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG] Annodising.
    I put together an anodising bath the other day and did somebexperimenting.&nbsp; Bought some acid, diluted it, made a couple of aluminium cathodes and hooke everything up to a 10amp power supply (projecta battery charger).&nbsp; Results were good, although I'll have to do some more experimenting with electro polishing, the anodising process totall kills the shine on aluminium.<br><br>I'll use the annodising for ally parts that can't be polished regularly due to positioning on the bike.&nbsp; I have an ammeter and some titanium wire coming, so I can upgrade my rudimentry annodising bath.<br><br>First piece in the bath was a polished aluminium bracket, as you can see the finish is nice enough, but rather dull.&nbsp; Second piece was polished on one end, the other had a brush finish.&nbsp; Polished aluminium definitely comes out the best. Second pics are before and after shots

Attached Files:

AK650 and Mr. Fixit like this.