a long, long XS650 project.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by toglhot, Aug 10, 2020.

1. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Read the whole thread.
    sruss67, Fast Idle and villageidiot like this.
  2. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would if I could, but can't so I wont!
    AK650, zzzak, sruss67 and 2 others like this.
  3. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Synced the carbs and checked the PMA today. Bike runs beautifully now, idles nicely, revs cleanly, no spitting or hesitation. PMA/reg/rect output is 14.6 volts, so happy with that as well. Timing is spot on on both cylinders, so the single points cam also works well and the filter and cooler deliver a good oil supply with no leaks. Fancy that, all the engine mods worked as planned! This is my homemade manometer I use for syncing, super easy to use, gives a good, stable reading.

Now it's back to cycle parts. I was going to spoke the wheels next, but can't get any stainless spokes for the rear wheel, so I'll have to work on something else: I've been thinking of hunting around for a clagged 650 motor, I'm missing working on motors already.

Attached Files:

4. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I nutted out a simplified schematic for the TX last night and did a little work on it today. Rather than one harness, I decided on two, one for lights and one for ignition and charging. Five wires for the lights run up the left side of the backbone for lights, another three run up a harness on the right for ignition. I've included some earth cabling in the harness rather than just depending on earthing through the frame.

Once I've routed all the cables to their destinations, I'll zip tie them then wrap the harness removing the zips as I go. Having one harness for ignition and charging circuits and another for lighting simplifies fault faulting and cuts down on the number of colours needed in the harnesses.

I've ordered some stainless spokes, should be here this week. Can only get front spokes at the moment for some reason, seems to be a shortage on rears. As soon as they arrive I'll repolish the hub and rims and spoke it up.

Attached Files:

HuckIt, AK650, sruss67 and 5 others like this.
  5. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Speedo/tacho/voltmeter bracket made up today. I'll be adding a few LEDs later on for oil, indicators and so on.

Attached Files:

AK650, nostep, zzzak and 3 others like this.
  6. sruss67

sruss67 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    As always, your work is so nice, thanks for sharing this journey of yours.
    AK650 likes this.
  7. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Started the TX up again to check the tacho and voltmeter. I had intentions of checking the timing on each cylinder, unfortunately, the POS timing light refused to play. Not to worry, max voltage from the PMA was 14.5 and the bike idles nicely at around 1250 RPM. I placed the camera behind the bike to record the exhaust. Camera doesn't do it justice though, it's very loud and emits a nice burble.
  8. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's music! :thumb
    NCJ likes this.
  9. sruss67

Oddometer:
    sounding and looking great :-)
  10. nostep

nostep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds excellent! I'm sure it sounds better in person.
  11. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Front spokes arrived this afternoon, so I laced up the wheel. The spokes for the rear wheel are coming from Heiden Tuning, so they probably won't be here for a while. Much better looking than the mags I think.

Attached Files:

JagLite, sruss67, AK650 and 7 others like this.
  12. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    SWEET! On almost any bike of 70s to 80s vintage I much prefer the look of polished aluminum spoked rims. On something like a mid 70's XS650 replacing the fat 16" rear mag with an 18" or 19" spoked aluminum rim just looks "right".
    zzzak, Scoozi and villageidiot like this.
  13. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just watch who you get your spokes from. The thread on the spokes I bought is longer than stock spokes, so when trued there is about 3mm of thread visible between nipple and hub. Probably wouldn't bother most, but I'm not most! If you blow up the picture you'll see what I mean, the dull grey ones are stock. Not happy, I complained to the seller, GeoffsXS , he now says he wont deal with me and sent me a number of abusive texts and emails. Not that I need him, there are a plethora of XS accessory shops around.

Attached Files:

villageidiot likes this.
  14. sruss67

Oddometer:
    Agreed, never a good look having thread exposed on nipples.
    Pity the seller was an arse about it, best you deal with friendlier sellers.
  15. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some new stainless spokes for the rear wheel arrived this afternoon, from a different supplier, so I laced the rear wheel with them, notice there's no thread showing.

So I'm stuck with the front wheel with it's visible threads, spoils the whole bike -not happy!

Attached Files:

mrsdnf, villageidiot and zzzak like this.
  16. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are nipples counterbored? Because if there isn't thread showing, are you torquing against the rim or end of the thread?
  17. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So many experts, what would we do without them? Knowing so little about mechanics, machining, fabricating, I absolutely depend on them!
  18. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't happy with the original side panels I made, fit and finish wasn't up to scratch and I wanted a bit more meat around the rear bend, so I made two new panels. Here's some pics of the panels at different stages of fabrication. I also spun up some Delrin T spacers for insertion into the two front grommets. These stop the grommets being squished to much and allow the front of the side panels to be extended to the front of the battery box.

Attached Files:

mrsdnf, villageidiot and zzzak like this.
  19. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking good.
    villageidiot likes this.
  20. toglhot

toglhot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now I'm confused: 'the spoke guy who does appear to be a good fit'??? What does the spoke guy appear to be a good fit with?