A loop through SWITZERLAND, AUSTRIA and ITALY

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KryzHatch, Nov 10, 2018.

1. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like reading other rider's report. They permit to travel while sitting in front of my computer, discovering new areas, or having new visions of areas I have visited, but seen by somebody's eyes, they are differents.

It also permits me to find new title for my future reports. And in the beginning of 2018, I decided that my new report about my 2018 summer trip would be called "A loop through..."

But through what ?

As I'm a great fan of the Alps area, as I have already visited the west part of them, the french part, I had to go more to the East, through SWITZERLAND, AUSTRIA and ITALY, maybe more.

So As I have the title, and the destination, I just had to do the report,... so to get there !

Well, a wet experience on day three permits me to take the right decision later, and the title don't really tell the truth,... not yet.

The road from the GRIMSEL pass to GLETSCH (in the bottom) to the FURKA pass (In the distance)
    [​IMG]

The SAN GOTTHARD pass
    [​IMG]

The TREMOLA road

[​IMG]

KH
  2. azscram900

azscram900 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lots of Twisties and beautiful Alpine vistas. I'll be enjoying your trip from my computer, as well.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    KryzHatch likes this.
  3. Northstar Beemer

Northstar Beemer Face Plant

Oddometer:
    That looks like a great road - I really like the absence of traffic!
    KryzHatch likes this.
  4. Laboratory Rat

Laboratory Rat böser geistmeister Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    KryzHatch likes this.
  5. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY ONE

As I live in the west of FRANCE, Day one will be going east, as far as possible, to be able to get in the Alps on day two. And I decided that the "A to B" for the day will have NANTUA as B, because not too far, and far enough to be in the Alps few hours later on the next day.

So I did quite the same trip as the day one in my 2016's trip in the Alps.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/route-des-grandes-alpes-and-others-nice-roads-around.1182662/

ANGOULEME, switch LIMOGES by taking CONFOLENS, and BELLAC via a nice road at 80 km/k as it is the new speed limit in FRANCE on National road since this July (90 Km/h before), then GUERET, MONTLUCON, where I make a stop to eat the sandwich I bought few kilometers earlier as the one I had planned to eat was at home :baldy.

[​IMG]

I took A 75 for 23 kilometers to the East (1,25 €) , then MOULINS, MACON where I took A 40 toward East exit of NANTUA (5,5 €). There I get to 'Camping du Signal" for one night.

Camping du signal in NANTUA (10.30 €.)

After unpacking and pitching the tent, I decided to get for a ride toward the bridge (Here is the reason I took East exit : You enter a tunnel and exited on that bridge !)

[​IMG]

and to the lake.
    Note the viaduc with the A 40 in the distance on both pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then back to NANTUA to take a drink (No pic as the camera is not quick enough to make picture before I drink the nice beer, facing the lake ! OR Maybe the drinker is quicker than the photographer !)

Back to the tent where rains arrives just after the sunset, with thunderstorms.

692 Kilometers for the day

[​IMG]

KH
    Shaggie, MrKiwi, motocopter and 5 others like this.
  6. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    I couldn't tell how many times I've crossed this viaduc driving my bus in winter, heading to St Nicolas de Veroce, a beautifull village close to Megeve ski resort. Most of the time, when there's no snow in the plain, it's when exiting the tunnel that one discover a white snow covered landscape from the heights of this viaduc. Even the lake is white then, it must be frozen 'cos there's really few sun in that valley in winter.
    Yeah this viaduc really symbolises the entry in the Alps to me.
    KryzHatch and Suncoaster like this.
  7. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :*sip*
    In
    KryzHatch likes this.
  8. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY TWO

Tent was still wet when I woke up, but not that much indeed. So I packed everything on the bike, get to the bathroom for a shower and

"On the road again"

Back on A 40, I took to the east to ANNEMASSE, then THONON Les Bains where the plan was to take D 902, a.k.a "Route des Grandes Alpes" for ten kilometers and turn to the left (East) on D 22 to Vallée d'ABONDANCE (Abundance valley).
    Just before the exit to "Route des Grandes Alpes", I discovered the route de la vallée d'ABONDANCE was closed. But there was a B plan, via PUBLIER, on the East of THONON Les Bains, to join Route D 22 later. Was B plan better than my plan ?

YES, as the climbing to PUBLIER, via D 32 was nice, with GENEVA Lake in the back ground though Route des Grandes Alpes follows a river, with no back view on the lake.

Maybe NOT, because D 22 was nice after I join it. And maybe she was also nice before the crossroad, between the crossroad on Route des Grandes Alpes and CHEVENOZ, where I join D 22.

So I get to ABONDANCE, in the bottom of the valley,

[​IMG]

CHATEL, where I climbed to the village to discover the road was closed, because of cycling event (And a R.V which was parked in front of the signal telling the road was closed, on a crossroad two kilometers before !!) So I took the new road which brings me in the center, not a hundred meters from where I was, but fifteen minutes later :hair.

Back on the road to the Swiss border, via Pas de MORGINS (1369 m) where I stop near the lake, to eat my sandwich.

[​IMG]

Down to Rhone valley in SWITZERLAND, via TROISTORRENTS

[​IMG]

...and MONTHEY.

I crossed the valley to the east side and took north to AIGLE.

NOTE : I haven't bought the vignette that would have permit me to take Swiss motorway. And I have learned how to not take them ! Will see if I can succeed in that !
    The vignette is cheap for a year, 40 CHF(36 €), fourteen months as it is from December to January, but not really for a several days trip. And the fine is not cheap at all, some 200 CHP ( 180 €), if the police catch you on the motorway.

Then back in the mountains, via the 11

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to Les DIABLERETS, GSTEIG

[​IMG]

GSTAAD
    [​IMG]

and SAANEN

[​IMG]

...to get to SPIEZ on THUNER Lake
    There, I noticed the west was sunny, on THUN city, and the east, where I was going, was more cloudy. :dirtdog

[​IMG]

In LEISSIGEN, I quit the main road to KRATTIGEN, to found the campground I was looking for

Several minutes before I finished pitching the tent, rains also arrives on the campground.

309 kilometers for the day, 1001 since the beginning.

[​IMG]

KH
  9. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    To YANNICK, agree with you.
    Before the tunnel, you are driving to the Alps.
    Exiting the tunnel, you are in the Alps.

KH
    Yannick likes this.
  10. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always a treat to see one of your reports, Kryz! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!!
    KryzHatch likes this.
  11. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY THREE

Positive point, it is not raining. ( It has rained most of the night !)

Negative point, to have rains, you need clouds. And they were here, upon THUN lake.

So down to the main road, then east to INTERLAKEN.
    Few kilometers before the town, I had to exit the main road, as it was becoming motorway (green signal ) Lesson learned ! Get focused on the road which could become a motorway with vignette requested.

So I enter INTERLAKEN and discover the town. I took the north shore of BRIENZ Lake as the south one is only with motorway.

INTERLAKEN is between two lakes as the name says : Western one is THUN lake and eastern one is BRIENZ lake.

BRIENZ lake with clouds
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After MEIRINGEN, clouds were still there. But some were more white than grey, which means (to me !) sun is not far upon.

"Where optimism make the world different from reality".

I continued to the south west, to INNERTKIRCHEN where I had to make a choose : The SUSTEN Pass, or the GRIMSEL one.

I follows my plan and took SUSTEN Pass.

[​IMG]

While climbing, I thought I was more climbing to the clouds than to the pass.:dirtdog

And I succeded in both...as I arrive to the pass into clouds. SUSTEN Pass (2224 m)

[​IMG]

The descent on east side was more interesting, as there was less clouds, and more visibility, but with a little rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just before WASSEN, I discover the A2-E 35 motorway, down in the valley, with trafic jam as the tunnel under San GOTTHARD pass is just one lane with trafic light. I then turned to the right (South) toward ANDERMATT, with a fantastic vision on "men's work" to build roads across the mountains, a lot of trafic, and road work to get to ANDERMATT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There, as the weather was not nice, and with my new experience of " certainly nice landscape, but not today", I decided to change my plan, and get to HOSPENDAL. There, I make a stop to eat, and watch the show of a "How can I drive my new to me drone, with no experience and wind...with several friends to watch... where that F...g toy has fall". Very interesting. Lots of motorcycles and bicycles too.

So I get to the west, to the FURKA Pass (2429 m), with a lot of bicycles and moped ! Very cloudy, but no rain. New experiment of "certainly nice landscape, but not today !":dirtdog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Water here goes to GENEVA lake and Méditerranean sea ( What a ride !)

I descent to GLETSCH, where I took the road to the GRIMSEL pass (2165 m).

[​IMG]

In the picture down there, you have the road to the FURKA pass and the Hotel BELVEDERE...

[​IMG]

Rain and fog, with few people, but still bicycles and moped. I guess it was a sort of "Ride the Swiss Alp" event.

The fog was so thick that at one moment, I thought "There is one kilometer or so you are going down...Maybe the pass is behind you !...with the building you have hardly seen." I was right, my first experience of the GRIMSEL Pass is no pass at all !. ( On the next days, I discovered how I should be ashamed, but not at that moment !)

Rain and fog in the descent to INNERKIRCHE and MEIRINGEN. Then the rain stops and the fog became less thick to BRIENZ and INTERLAKEN.

Then no more fog...but heavy rain to the campground.

242 kilometers, and most of them in the fog and under the rain.

[​IMG]
    ( Note that I took north of the lake between INTERLAKEN and BRIENZ.)

If it was just to ride my bike, I could do it at home. So, if I was here, it was to see something I don't have in the west of FRANCE, Mountains. If I don't see them, no interest.
    That evening, I was hoping rains and fog to leave the place. I guess somebody has understood me ! :happay

Thank you to those reading my bad English.

KH
    Shaggie, motocopter, aspad and 7 others like this.
  12. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your English is just fine. A great ride report that I'll follow. My daughter is leaving New Zealand soon to live in Lausanne for a year so perhaps I should get some gortex gear for when I visit. Looking forward to your photos and more commentary.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Just loving this. I agree - there's nothing wrong with your English.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  14. NAVIGATOR

NAVIGATOR Wanderer

Oddometer:
    SOUTH OF THE USA BORDER(friendlier Mexico)
    Thank you for the great pictures, narrative and detailed routes, it helps others to plan a trip, great information!!!!!
    KryzHatch likes this.
  15. ADK

ADK crush knit

Oddometer:
    Will there be videos? :lurk
  16. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Pity about the weather on Furka...but is it November...:D

Great report, thanks.
  17. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    I had my GOPRO on my helmet, so videos may appears
    Problem is MOVIEMAKER I used before don't exist anymore. Will have to see with PHOTOS.
    The problem I have with informatic is between the chair and the laptop !!!

Thanks for the nice words.
    KH
  18. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY FOUR

Numerous rains during the night. Nice sun in the morning, with clouds on summits.

[​IMG]

I came down to the lake and follows the shore to the East
    THUN lake (looking west)
    [​IMG]

THUN lake (Looking east)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I get back to INTERLAKEN, (Green area in the center, used by paragliders for landing)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

where I took the north rim of BRIENZ Lake,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to MEIRINGIN, and INNERTKIRCHEN. There, I took the road to the GRIMSEL Pass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The road was different from the day before, and not only because I was on the other way, or climbing. With sun, and not fog, the landscape is terrific. I stop at the top of the GRIMSEL Pass, not very proud to see how impossible it is to miss the pass : Hôtels, shops, lake, signal,...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two kilometers later, I make a new stop, for the fantastic view. The road down to GLETSCH, in the bottom of the valley, the one down to BRIG, SION and the GENEVA Lake on the down right. And the road climbing to the FURKA Pass on the left.

[​IMG]

Back on the bike to get to GLETSCH, where a gift to my perseverance was waiting for me. Since a kilometer, there was smoke down in the valley. Steam train from ANDERMATT to BRIG. In the distance, the road to the FURKA pass and RHONE glacier

[​IMG]

I stop on a parking lot and waited for the train for a minute or so

[​IMG]

Then the climbing to the FURKA pass, with no clouds, a view to the GRIMSEL pass, and the railroad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way down to HOSPENDAL,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

REALP in the valley

[​IMG]

Then I make a stop in the same parking lot as the day before, with sun, in HOSPENDAL.

[​IMG]

To be continued
    KH
    Shaggie, motocopter, NSFW and 8 others like this.
  19. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    After that, I took the road to St GOTTHARD pass, turned just in time on the TREMOLA Road, Main road is on the up right.

[​IMG]

and make a stop at the summit (2108 m), near the Hospice with motorcycles and wind.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still on the TREMOLA road I get down toward AIROLO. St GOTTHARD main road in the distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like this picture which could have been made in th sixties, except for the colors and the nowadays cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AIROLO ( Where the motorway is coming out of the tunnel )

[​IMG]

The main road to San GOTTHARD Pass

[​IMG]

Then NUFENEN pass (2478 m), which permit me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

to join the road from BRIG to GLETSCH, with in the distance the road to the GRIMSEL pass

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In GLETSCH, I took the road to the GRIMSEL Pass

GRIMSEL Pass
    [​IMG]

(INNERTKIRCHEN in the distance)

[​IMG]

And I came back to the BRIENZ lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and to the campground.
    281 kilometers, and as much nice kilometers.
    I took north side of BRIENZ lake and not what the map shows

[​IMG]

KH
  20. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Superbe! Merci bien!