A loop through SWITZERLAND, AUSTRIA and ITALY

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KryzHatch, Nov 10, 2018.

1. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Brilliant R.R. and pictures,thanks for sharing,brings back great memories from going through the area years ago!
  2. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    The engineering of those highways in such terrain is astonishing. This is the challenge? Ok, we'll just do it.
  3. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks. While watching these roads, I was thinking of a sentence I had seen somewhere, maybe here.
    "They have done it because They didn't knew it was impossible"

KH
  4. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    Video of my day three among nice landscape I don't see !!
    crashkorolyk, ADK and Yannick like this.
  5. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    Hello Kryz, I'm very (very very) late in reading but don't worry, still amazed in front of your photos. I'm really found of lakes, rivers, canals and every kind of shipping lanes and of course mountains, so I could be staring at your mountain lakes photos for 10 or 15 minutes each, just wishing I was there on my steed. You just have put the icing on the cake with the steam train ! I was already your number 1 fan with your previous report, but this year you're exploring a part of Switzerland that I don't know yet, it's on my list of course but it's a pleasure to discover it through your pictures. I don't know where you're going to drive us, but if -as it seems- your way is gonna lead to Italy, I really hope you're going to show us the great lakes area, it's really the number one place I want to see in the Alps at the italian and swiss border.
    You're at the top of the european reports ! Go on !
    KryzHatch likes this.
  6. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    GRIMSEL Pass and FURKA Pass
  7. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY FIVE

Quiet night.

Back to the THUN lake, I took to the east, to INTERLAKEN, then MEIRINGEN and the SUSTEN Pass, more interesting under a nice sun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Waiting at the trafic light, on one of the numerous road work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then down to WASSEN, up to ANDERMATT where I took the road to the East, to the OBERALP Pass (2044 m).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then down to DISENTIS/MUSTER where I turned to the south to the LUKMANIER pass (1914 m). I stopped few kilometers before the pass.

Few kilometers is not what the BANDIT has done since we met at the bike shop.
    THANK YOU Bandit for all. ( Not finished !):clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lago da SONTGA MARIA

[​IMG]

After the pass, I get down to BIASCA, more italian than deutsch, but still swiss.

I took the direction to the north, to AIROLO, where I found a gas station, stop and waited behind a BENTLEY Continental GT, whose owner had problems with his credit card and the automatic pump.

An then it was my turn,...with the problems.

No way, the automat don't want my credit card. As it is sunday, no one can help me. Don't want the automat to swallow my credit cart. Then two bikes stops behind me. As mine, their credit cart have problem, but it works after a moment. So I paid cash for gas in my tank ( Where cash is important when credit card don't work !)

I thanked my new friends and continue my road on the TREMOLA road,

AIROLO in the bottom.
    I spend a moment in the crossroad with the choice : A plan or B plan.
    A plan was to stay on the small road and B plan was to take the main road (The one on the left)

[​IMG]

So I came back on the main road to St GOTTHARD Pass to make a picture of the nice TREMOLA road (Road of the A plan).

[​IMG]

On St GOTTHARD pass, I get down on TREMOLA road for several kilometers to do it toward the pass.

[​IMG]

While coming back to St GOTTHARD pass (2108 m), I took the main road to HOSPENDAL where I choose to ride again FURKA and GRIMSEL passes to MEIRINGEN and KRATTINGEN.

396 Km for the day

[​IMG]

Thank you for reading.
    KH
    bomose, CA Stu, Shaggie and 7 others like this.
  8. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    Video of Day 5

KH
    Rdy2Trvl, Yannick, ADK and 1 other person like this.
  9. KuhlKLR

KuhlKLR ColoDuc

Oddometer:
    Nice pics throughout. I always get a kick out of reading about or seeing pictures of mc trips I've taken, myself. In 2001, three of us traveled over from the US and toured the Alps, some bit of what you've done here. Quite coincidentally, in looking at the pic taken just outside Andermatt, I retreated to my office wall and found my pic, taken from almost the same spot as yours ! I think I was perhaps one switchback above where you were. A cheap thrill was had....... Thanks for your trip report.
  10. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    Via TREMOLA

KH
    Yannick, ADK and crashkorolyk like this.
  11. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY SIX

Quiet night. Woke up at 07.45 and folded up the tent, packing it on the bike. I paid for the four night (88 CHF, +/- 80 €)

I took the direction of INTERLAKEN for some shopping and then GRIMSEL pass. While climbing, I saw a NISSAN GTR, and a yellow LAMBORGHINI, just when taking a turn, so don't know which model it was, HURACAN or AVENTADOR.

GRIMSEL Lake.
    The road on the dam goes to several building on the rock in the middle, upon which there is an hôtel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the GRIMSEL pass (2165 m), there was a alignment of supercars : LAMBORGHINI, FERRARI, PORSCHE, MASERATI,... Just have to choose.( And it was not a week end day !)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They all disappear before I made a choice (:dirtdog)
    And what about the BANDIT, the pace in the garage. And how would people will judge me at the campground, with a FERRARI close to my tent. And ADVRider, with a ride report on a LAMBO...

[​IMG]

Down to GLETSCH, they all turned to the East to the FURKA pass though I was going west down to BRIG.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MUSTER GESCHINEN

After a stop to eat, I came to BRIG and took the SIMPLON pass, a large and curvy one, with pace to overtake commercial trucks in the beginning.

[​IMG]

Then came road works. As I was waiting for the light to become green, on a bridge, a commercial truck coming the other way gave me a strange feeling. A second one, few seconds later, gave me the same feeling, and the lorry in front of me that vibrate !!!( Note to myself : It is not because a bridge has collapsed few days before in GENOVA that every bridge will do the same !)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After SIMPLON Pass (2008 m), in the descent to DOMODOSSOLA, I enter ITALY, stop behind a car from SLOVAKIA during a few minutes at Swiss custom, then in Italian one looking after commercial trucks papers.

Before DOMODOSSOLA, I found the road to MASERA, climbing back to SWITZERLAND.

Dam on MELEZZA river

[​IMG]

Arriving in LOCARNO, I found the road to the East, in direction of BELLINZONA, and I stopped in a campground in CUGNASCO. I picked the tent near walkers. They were from QUEENSLAND, AUSTRALIA.

267 kilometers

[​IMG]

Map of my day 6.

KH
    Rdy2Trvl, CA Stu, Shaggie and 8 others like this.
  12. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Hatch. Wonderful pictures of a great trip for you and fond memories for me.
    Cheers,
    Malloy
    KryzHatch likes this.
  13. Haysie

Haysie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report, watching with interest.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  14. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY SEVEN

Nice night. Took the direction of BELLINZONA to find a tyre for the bike, and found a shop in GIUBIASCO. He don't have the one I want, but could have one for the next morning. So all is O.K.

Back to the west to stay in LOCARNO for the day, walking in town and near MAGGIORE Lake.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came back to the campground in the middle of the afternoon.

50 kilometers with the bike and many others on foot.

[​IMG]

KH
    Shaggie, Yannick, motocopter and 2 others like this.
  15. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    DAY EIGHT

Early leaving to be at the shop before 09.00. I arrived there before 08.30, and the mecanist took the bike while I get to the city center for a coffee.

Back to the shop at 09.15, I waited a few ten minutes before escaping to the East, via BELLINZONA, and climb the San BERNARDINO Pass (2065 m).

[​IMG]

Nice landscape and very few cars and motorcycles, except at the end when I follows two customs from BULGARIA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little stop near the lake then I descent to the North part,

[​IMG]

down to NUFENEN. ( No link with the NUFENEN Pass, near St GOTTHARD Pass.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I had no other choice because of road works, I took the motorway to SPLUGEN.

There, I begun the new climbing of the day, SPLUGEN pass (2113 m). The climbing is mostly in SWITZERLAND, and the descent in ITALY. It began with nice and straight way, a turn and another nice and straight way, before arriving at the border to ITALY. The climbing continue for several kilometers.

[​IMG]

I descent for several kilometers to the Lago di MONTESPLUGA,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Casa catoniera di TEGGIATE

[​IMG]

Then I began a nice and calm descent to the road to MADESINO.

After PIANAZZO, the valley become narrow and the road a terrific descent, with tunnels, and narrow turns.

[​IMG]

In CHIAVENNA, I turned to the East to St MORITZ, back to SWITZERLAND, via MALOJA nice pass (1815 m), and his nice SILSER lake.

[​IMG]

St MORITZ and his lake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeping to the east, I join PONTRESINA, where I took to the south, to Passo del BERNINA, never very far from the red train line going through the pass.
    Pictures shows the nice landscape, the train, the clouds,...but not the Wind, and it was not a hot one :vardy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BERNINA pass (2330 m)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a long and nice descent toward the valley,

[​IMG]

where I cross the border to ITALY, I took to the west to SONDRIO, among trafic jams and continue to the north of COMO lake.

The weather was cloudy, but the scenery was nice. In MENAGGIO, I get back in the moutains to join LUGANO, via LUGANO Lake.

[​IMG]

There I succeeded in not taking the motorway to the north and finishes on the south of TICINO valley where the campground is. But it took a moment to find a road crossing the valley, and rains arrives at the campground before me !

While drinking a bier at the bar, I discover the next day will be rainy, with a minus 10 °c temperature with the one I had today which was not the hottest I met. And these nice news were for several days, and also for a large part, including areas I had planned to visit in the following days.

Today was an international ride, ...from SWITZERLAND to SWITZERLAND, via four border's crossing... with ITALY.

409 kilometers for the day.

[​IMG]

KH
  16. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This just keeps getting better and better, Kryz. Such a great ride, all the passes and valleys. Thank you again.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  17. Haysie

Haysie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great photos and stunning scenery. Well done and thanks.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  18. KryzHatch

Oddometer:
    SAN BERNARDINO Pass

KH
  19. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Brilliant videos mate,really shows off your trip well,and all those great roads!
    KryzHatch likes this.
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You sure know how to pick great roads! Thanks for taking us along!
    KryzHatch likes this.