A loop through SWITZERLAND, AUSTRIA and ITALY

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by KryzHatch, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer

Oddometer:
    Great pics, thanks.

If you are short of time, the Andermatt area offers a fantastic selection of passes...
    KryzHatch likes this.
  2. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    SPLUGEN pass

KH
    Yannick and crashkorolyk like this.
  3. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once again, a brilliant RR...precise, tight, Great pics, & best of all, clear, well scaled maps. This is a real resource for anyone headed to this area.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  4. RobF650

RobF650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent report, thanks very much.

Rob
  5. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    You sure don't have to worry about wearing out the center of your tires, do you. Great report and beautiful scenery. Thanks.
  6. KryzHatch

KryzHatch Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    DAY NINE

Plan for the day : Get back to SONDRIO, go to the Passo Del TONALE, then back for ten kilometers to PONTE di LEGNO and take the direction to the north on Passo di GAVIA, which has a narrow road, so few cars. BORMIO. If l'm late, back to SONDRIO. If not, (I don't have to look for a place to put the tent, so... !)I keep on the west direction to Passo di FOSCAGNO, to LIVIGNO, to Passo del BERNINA. And SONDRIO, LUGANO.

BUT
    Rains and thunder storms all night long. And the rain was still there in the morning. And nothing but clouds, clouds and clouds.

[​IMG]

With rains, and clouds, so without visibility for several days, riding among "supposed nice landscape, but not today" would not be a nice idea.

SO
    get back home was the solution I choose...for the next day, while drinking a beer at the bar...A last chance for the weather.

In the evening, it was still raining and on the smart phone, rains was planned for the next four or five days on an area east from my position, where I had all my plans. So I began to packed the bike with items I don't need for the night.

DAY TEN

It hasn't rained all night. But it was still raining when I woke up. So I finishes to pack the bike under heavy rain and took the road to the south.

So LUGANO, where I took the motorway as I was close to ITALY, (Well not as close as I thought, but no problems on this swiss motorway !). So A2 to

COMO, A 8 to MILANO, with sometimes rains and sometimes little sun, A 7 toward the south, A 26 to not get to GENOVA and A 10 to the west, to SAVONA, SAN REMO and MENTON.

There I turned to the north on "Route des Grandes Alpes". In SOSPEL, I get to the reception to have a pace to put the tent, for one night.

As it was raining, the reception girl told me they had a dormitory, 20 € instead of 13 for the tent, but, no pitching the tent, no packing the next day and no wet stuff. And nobody except me.

So I took a bed there and get to the restaurant for dîner. I was near a window, watching the rain falling on tents and caravans, while all was O.K for me.

I didn't sleep well first part of the night, maybe because I was expecting a bus of girls coming to the dormitory...I had my most beautiful underwear on !
    :happay
    But as nobody came, I slept well in the second part of the night.

On DAY ELEVEN, I just noticed the weather was not as bad as the previous day, but still cloudy, didn't loose time and took the road to the south, to take A 8 to the west.

At 09.09 a.m, I stop to pay a toll, 1,6 €. Then same procedure at 09.22 a.m, 0,90 € and at 09.32 a.m, 1.70 €.

Then low circulation to NICE, a little more to the area where A8 joins the motorway from MARSEILLE, A7.

In SALON de PROVENCE, thirteen kilometers after, I quit the motorway to get to the west, took the A 9 to NARBONNE, and the A 61 to get to TOULOUSE and BORDEAUX, with a little trafic jam, then A 10 to the north, and west to the coast.

988 kilometers for the last day.

I was disappointed for not doing what I had planned. And still disappointed at the end of this report, with all those pictures remembering me how nice this trip was.

So the plan for next year is : GET BACK THERE to continue to the east, to STELVIO pass, Lago di GARDA, and other nice places, ...behind this mountain there should be nice things !

Thank you for watching my pictures and videos, maybe reading.

KH
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Simply wonderful!:clap
  8. Yannick

Yannick Asterix the Gaul

Oddometer:
    That's uncredible, when I think we had a complete drought here in Brittany, the french area where it's supposed to rain every day (according to the parisians), and you there down south you had to shorten your trip because of rain ...
    But I can already tell you I will be a loyal audiance for next year, and I'm waiting for this trip to be continued ...
    Because I know behind this montain there's something worth to see. (This is my favorite area in Italy.)
    KryzHatch likes this.
  9. francs

francs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like your "choice" of places to ride (as I told before: you "inspires" me) . But you have a lousy luck with with weather.
    KryzHatch likes this.
  10. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We rode down the Splugen pass last year. It really is amazing to pull up at the top and look down at the road winding its way back and forth across the hill. We didn't have time but wanted to ride back up and down again...stunning roads....great report.
    KryzHatch likes this.