1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

A lurker in need (F850 vs 790ADV)

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Trirrad07, Jun 12, 2020.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Don't forget the Ride Modes make a difference on the BMWs if you didn't use Dynamic Mode you didn't get a real feel for the performance. I use "Road" mode most of the time because it has better fuel economy.
  2. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    I briefly owned a new Triumph Tiger 800 XCX. Great bike, but way too top heavy for me. I’m 5’ 11” with 32” inseam and at 58” from ground to the handlebars, it was very intimidating. I sold it and bought an F700GS which is really worry free to ride. I’m also 71 years old, so not having the fitness of someone in their 20s makes a difference. I personally would avoid the 850s for the same reason. I sat on the KTM Adventure at the dealership and it was surprisingly shorter than expected with its 21” front wheel and 7” suspension. And, of course, the low fuel tank gave it a nice low COG. It is, as mentioned, a lot lighter than the 850s.

Interesting points with dealer support. The only 2 BMW dealerships in Milwaukee are gone. The closest dealer is over an hour away. There are two KTM dealers close by. I’ve never taken any new bike back to the dealerships for anything, but it’s good to know they’re there if you need them.
  3. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the BMW dealer picked up a used GSA today and invited me to come take an extended test ride Tuesday. I’ll be sure to run it in dynamic! Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah it’s pretty bizarre of a situation. I’m smack in the middle of the BMW and KTM dealer. Both are under 30 min away. Truthfully, I think my heart wishes the KTM would work out but I’ve never seen a motorcycle with some many problems wheel to wheel. I mean, I’m reading about 790ADVs that just stop starting properly and the solution is to just keep riding. It’ll go away eventually. Wtf? The BMW just seems like a safer option, and is more appropriate for me personally.
  4. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    The suspension has a separate Dynamic mode as well accessed by pressing the button on the left that has a shock absorber icon on it.
  5. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s right. I remember seeing that last year when I was at the dealer.

Alright, thanks to you all. At this point it’s really BMWs game to lose. If I can wrangle a good price, I’ll probably go with them. I appreciate all your input. It backed up much of what I read elsewhere on KTM forums, BMW forums, and blogs/vlogs/journals. I feel a lot more informed thanks to you all. Stay safe out there everyone!
  6. jmcarter

jmcarter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, you pick one up?
  7. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish!! Inventory levels are quite low. There are good deals on 2019s but they’re difficult for my local dealer to dealer trade for (most dealers are being very protective of their inventory). There’s one 2020 at my dealer, but the offers are junk right now. Some places are starting to increase their price over sticker. So I’m waiting to see what the third quarter brings from BMW offers on July 1st. Fingers crossed!!
  8. C4 Trousers

C4 Trousers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also a thing to note is fuel range, if you're only looking at the regular GS the fuel tank is 4gal vs 5.2 on the KTM. On the BMW I had the low fuel warning come on at 140-150 miles where I can easily do 200+ on the KTM. I've ridden both and purchased the KTM due to weight, the low slung tank and price. Cruise control and heated grips are also an option on the KTM. I will say the interface and screen are better on the BMW but the KTMs is very good and intutitive. I'm also a sucker for backlit switches. You really cant go wrong with either.
  9. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    there's a midrange F850GSA at the dealer that i was concerned about due to its weight being up so high. i'm not a terribly experienced rider and felt like it could get difficult... but only 140-150 before fuel light on the regular GS? woow... didn't realize it was that bad. i just figured the KTM was a little too small for two riders to enjoy over long distance where the BMW would buy me extra time... apparently at the expense of fuel range.
  10. WQFTruckster

WQFTruckster Adventure Engineer

Oddometer:
    I love the extra range on my 800GSA, but the reality is if I'm riding any bike 2 up it is very rare we make it 150 miles without needing a break. Even if I'm solo I usually try not to go more than that between stops. YMMV. You can always add a rotopax to extend range on rides where gas stations are few and far between.
  11. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    When the low fuel warning comes up on my standard 850 at about 150 miles it tells me I have 60-65 miles range left so you can get 200 miles + on a tank.
    Ackme likes this.
  12. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    This.
    And unless I'm running 70 mph on the highway for the full tank, my light does not come on till ~175 or more.
    I was slightly concerned about the fuel tank size, but in reality the 850 GS surprised me and I have absolutely no qualms now. Regular 55 mph running will net me 58mpg, over 200 miles of tank easy.
    Ackme and SnoDrtRider like this.
  13. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. New quarter starts this week so I’ll see what happens and then make a move. Appreciate all the feedback and notes.

I really felt like the KTM was more suited to me, but the reality was that I was buying a KTM for a riding style I hoped to develop. The BMW is better for how I actually ride. This all has helped me really feel comfortable with that conclusion.
  14. C4 Trousers

C4 Trousers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be sure to update us when you pick up your bike and of course don’t forget the pictures :beer
  15. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or this:
  16. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ive read a lot about that bike, but one of the biggest issues is I’ve read the bikes seat is horrible. The pillion spot is even worse. So given I’ll have a pillion a huge chunk of the time, the T7 would be a really big error for me personally.
  17. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I don't think I'd own a bike that small if I was going to have a pillion much of the time. Solo, definitely.
  18. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My theoretical 'pillion' rides her own bike, and rides it very well, too. But I get the importance of a comfy seat for the passenger. My used F700 came loaded and with the Comfort seat and while I don't really think it's a great seat for the rider..... (crunches the unmentionables) it is absolutely outstanding for the pillion seeking comfort. It's almost as if they transferred the most of the benefit intended for the rider directly to the passenger's pleasure!
  19. Tigershark48

Tigershark48 My other BMW is a Roadster.

Oddometer:
    Everything about the T7 screams off road. I have no interest in it, since I’m strictly a highway rider. Anything with a rally seat is not made for long distance highway touring.
    heatmizr likes this.
  20. Trirrad07

Trirrad07 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I'd love to off road from time to time, but it'd be far faaar less frequent than road riding. I am not the target market for the T7.