A man,A Boob, and 115HP=Teraflex Review

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by xcflyn, Feb 16, 2012.

1. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well sometimes I think I write these just to hear myself talk so to speak. Fact is, this winter I have had a lot of "spare" time and decided to waste it- I mean Wisely spend it on the internet, most of it on ADV or my welding and machining forums, or turbo diesel register, or RV dot net. You get the picture :type . Surprising little time on the XXX- I have a good woman to thank for that, I wont go there.
    Anyhow, I hope others get a little something out of some of my posts. And here is the first one that is going to be a pretty negative one. Generally I try to research products before I buy them, then I have more good to say then bad. In the case of the TeraFlex rear tire, it is the other way around, not a lot of good to say so far. I could use words like Confidence inspiring
    and fantastic, but I sure would not be talking about this tire. Here is my take, others may have had different experience and I respect that, but this is my experience, open for discussion but dont flame me for a honest view on this.
    First a little history,I currently am blessed with the ability to ride much more off road then I do on road. So I try to choose a tire accordingly. I have had some bad luck with fronts, pinch flats and a totaled rim (I wanted a woody super lace anyhow). For more off road then on the Kenda Big Block and TKC's are o.k. but less then desirable. They may be a couple of the better true 50/50 tires but not 80-20 or 90-10 (larger number offroad).
    Now when a guy decides he's gonna mount a TerraFlex (BooB-read the lugs) he probably should not expect it to be a very good road tire, I mean look at it for gods sake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks like something I should put on my 450 :deal , and I wish I would have !
    Mounting it is very easy, probably the easiest tire I have mounted on this bike, actually it was the easiest I have mounted on any bike in years- really, and yes that is a red flag, can you say soft side walls :eek1
    It was easier putting the BooB on then getting the old BB off. BTW- your center stand no longer raises the rear high enough to get the new BooB in place- taller lugs made getting the Axle back in near impossible without pulling up on the swing arm a little-a single piece of ply wood under the center stand would have been sufficient if I had known.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first run with it was at full air #36 on the road to break in, then the highway for a mile or so to town to get a beverage and my Rubber Shorts :huh : I about shite myself riding on this thing. First on the road I had to pull over to double check it didnt go flat when I wasnt looking, then when I got off the highway I took off around the corner, warm asphalt and warm tire = greasy like traction :brow ? It does with this tire. I could smoke that baby without even trying, and I mean light it up like the pavement was wet. Confidence inspiring on the road- it is NOT. Maybe a Red bull will calm my nerves and I'll follow the tracks back. First I drop pressure a couple Lbs. to get a little more squish out of it.
    First mile of the tracks are large loose rock. Nothing is very good here so it is what it is, but that tire will pick up rocks and make a lot of racket as they bounce off the fender, swing arm, back of your helmet (joking-none hit my helmet).
    [​IMG]

The next section requires riding up on the railroad ties then deep rock, then hard pack and finally a place where the tire shined a little bit. Silt. As one would expect it works pretty good here for high speed, and very good for hooking up and getting moving. It is the one spot it did pretty good. I imagine it would do good in mud too-none to be had here.
    [​IMG]

And here my friends is a close up of the tire after approx 5 miles of road and 7 miles off road. Look at the lugs in the bottom of the pic too:cry
    [​IMG]

I didnt expect the handling of a tourance and the traction of a 606. But I did hope the handling would be as good as a 606 and have equal traction.It is a D.O.T. tire, and it is a inexpensive tire - I paid about $85.00 for it. And if there is one word that sums it up, that word would be TRACTIONATOR- as in that will be my next rear tire-probably in about a week :rofl
  2. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Others have described them as TerrorFlex......... :D

I like the BooB description too!

3. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are these tires sold in the EU? Does anybody know?
  4. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about where they are sold, but there is a US made tire and a China made. Mine was the US made. I believe the China made tire does not have all the "tits" from manufacturing, and the lugs looked smaller.
  5. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    The exact reason that the tire gods made hidies & mefos :D

go see Dr Dillon a get the cure:clap

70--30 tires that hook up without the need for rubber underware! :lol3
  6. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
  7. FINNDIAN

FINNDIAN Mine goes to 11

Oddometer:
    I've tried the terror flex on a few bikes and IMO the only thing they do well is paddle mud and look cool and are awful at anything else.
  8. Scottyman

Scottyman Blue & Orange

Oddometer:
    That's too bad you had such a bad experience. I have had great experience with this tire off road. In fact, for anything in and around 80% dirt and 20% tarmac, I wouldn't consider anything else. I have used just about every rear tire with any amount of off road worthiness made for our machines and have found that the performance way out does the decrease in life span. While running a good quality heavy duty tube, I never run more than 25lbs of air fully loaded and considerably less when not loaded. It is definetly not the tire for the timid or pavement pounder who wants to check out a dirt road! If your into spending $200 bucks for a rear tire, on a 100+HP machine, that will spin the rubber off anyway, go for it!
  9. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    No no - not serious at all :::: wait a minute - I was serious , but then again whats on sale :D
  10. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Broke Engine Supporter

Oddometer:
    They say you shoudn't judge a book by its cover, but that saying don't apply to tires! The terror-fix looks like a cheap short life span tire and by all accounts is. I have herd they're better in sand dunes, just don't plan on riding a lot of blacktop to get to the sand!
  11. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didnt mean to mislead you. I am not "timid" or a "pavement pounder" who just "checks out a dirt road". And I have never spent $200 on a tire for any of my dual sport or dirt bikes. But I am glad you have good luck with the Teraflex.
  12. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    My experience with terraflexes'

random thoughts:

-on pavement they heat up and start to get greasy. Cool if you want to draw black stripes on the pavement and back it into the corners.. .not so good if you wanna go through a corner safely. :ricky
    -on pavement: when done spinning it up in the 3rd or 4th corner you will rip knobs off and throw them at the guys behind you :eek1
    -You will NOT be changing a terraflex with tire spoons on the trail.
    -You can run a terraflex with as low as 4psi
    -Great mud tire
    -If you get a flat.. keep riding. Unless you are in Baja and have 500 miles to go; you'll probably make it back to camp.

:freaky

p.s. they are called terror-flexes because the guys behind you will be eating rocks the size of chicken eggs :eek1
    HighRiver likes this.
  13. dirtypumpkin

dirtypumpkin "Monster Truck Bike" Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1

I love mine, hooks the fuck up.
    They are designed by interco,
    same company of the popular
    superswamper truck tires.
  14. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of any in stock?? Been trying to find one for a month..sounds like the perfect tire for a 50 mile desert race..
  15. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer:
    I want to know what you have done to your SE to get 115HP!
  16. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Looks like he traded it on a 990R. At least that's what's in the pictures.
  17. xcflyn

xcflyn Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  18. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    My experience with one of the older 150/80-18 terrorflex tires that Ferndog gave me (first clue) after he had it on his 950 for a short time.... is this

1. hard surfaces(road tarmac)=sucks=terror (rific?)
    2. wet and hard surfaces=oh my f'n..... :eek1
    3. smooth? um, no
    4. rides like a truck tire :lol3
    5. you lean to go around corners right? um, ya, don't do that with this tire unless you are comfortable with backing it in and sliding it out :freaky
    6. its a trench making fool tool in the muck :wink:

it still had life in it when I forced myself to take it off... leaving darkies in and out of corners on a big ass weird looking bike in front of junior on the GSXR is fun.. butt... yikes!:norton
  19. emuooz

emuooz Emu

Oddometer:
    I spooned one on the SE for a 3 day ride and thats as long as it lasted a total of 350kms or about 200miles.

Its an impressive looking tyre and moves huge amounts of earth but thats about it and black top it as scarey as shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. walstibsf

walstibsf MOTORCYCLISTS don't just run away when a dog barks Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ambrosia Lake, New Mexico/Flagstaff, Arizona
    Back in the old days we used to call these TERRIBLE-FLEX. When mounted on the rear of a CR-500, you could roost all your buddies for a day.....then throw it away after hooking up on NOTHING.......