A man's got to know his limitations

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Pete™, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    This is the trip I have wanted to take since I was 14. I used to go down to the local cycle dealer and dream of putting a sleeping bag on the bike and disappearing for a few weeks.

I have done a few iron butts and ridden plenty of miles since I got my first bike at 18. What I haven't done is take a few weeks to go across the country on my own schedule with my own agenda. Work and life have always conspired to derail plans and keep me busy. I planned a four corners trip last year. I even got approval to take the 30 days off from work. At the last minute my plans were derailed when a project I was working on conflicted with my vacation dates. A few months ago I noticed that MotoGP was the weekend before WestFest. It looked like the perfect opportunity to really get out and see the country.

I started making plans to take two weeks off to go. Again I got approval from work and started dreaming of where to go and how to make the trip memorable. I got married in April and things in my life got complicated. I found reasons not to make the trip. My lovely bride convinced me that I needed to take the trip, that it was important to our future and our relationship that I go.

So I made the decision that I was going. I'd ride out to MotoGP and then down to WestFest. I'd fly my wife into Albuquerque and we would go to Sipapu together.
  2. crooked roads

crooked roads I'm back

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good wife.
  3. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lucky couple...:thumb now get on with it and post some pics :deal
  4. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    With the recent expenses of getting married and engaged I needed to do this trip on the cheap. My wife and I went to St. Lucia and got married and did our honeymoon. We decided to do things the hassle free way and eloped. :clap

[​IMG]

It was the time of our lives.

[​IMG]

I signed up on Geode's Tent Space when he started it. I owe Geode a great big thank you for putting the list together and maintaining it. If you aren't on it, I urge you to sign up. The tent space list got me thinking... I would try to stay with and meet up with some of my ADV friends.

I was planning on leaving on Saturday the 14th. My destination - Weston, Colorado. I looked up WildernessJeep and sent him a PM. Robert and I talked and worked out the details of how to get there. It turned out Robert lives in Houston and has this little place in Weston. Robert decided to ride up on Friday and stay at my place in Dallas. Saturday we would slab our way out of Texas through New Mexico and into Trinidad, Colorado. We would pick up some food and head over to Weston and up his driveway to spend the night.
  5. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:

Pete you handsome devil you. Hell you look so good cleaned up :drif

:lol3

Now post more pics
  6. PASSMORE

PASSMORE Just the last name...

Oddometer:
    C'mon Pete - bring the story:deal
  7. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I was thinking the same thing. :rofl
  8. imgonnasnap

imgonnasnap Motard wrecker

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting you at MotoGP. I am looking forward to more of your ride report and pics!

your wife is HOT btw :deal :eek1
  9. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    You married waaay outta your league!!!:lol3
  11. Middleweightboxer

Middleweightboxer Middleweightboxer

Oddometer:
    Ok, we know there is more to this story.

:lurk :ear
  12. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    :shog

:feelgood

:bubba

I'm still downloading Pictures from the trip. :eek1

Thanks for all the kind words about my hot wife.
  13. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:
    :nono Although April is a hottie :raabia , that is an observation of the obvious. You on the other hand...:wink:

:hide

Yeppers :nod
  14. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    Great to meet you too. I will need some help ID'ing faces when the MotoGP pics arrive.:lol3
  15. AntWare

AntWare Lost In Translation

Oddometer:
    :raabia

[​IMG]

glad you made it home mate
  16. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    So on Wednesday I took work off and got the bike ready. I hooked up the Sirius radio and installed a set of Hella FF50s from Adventurer's Workshop. I packed way too much gear and checked tire pressures and everything else. The Buell has been reliable as an anvil since I bought it in Florida and road it home to Texas. I just got the 15k service done and was ready to go.

[​IMG]

Robert showed up late Friday night after getting blasted by rain coming up from Houston. We walked down the street to a nice Cuban place and had diner. I had some great fish tacos and few mojitos. Robert was quicker than me and bought diner and drinks for the wife and I. Thanks Robert.

Here's Roberts K1200LT all loaded up ready to ride.

[​IMG]

The plan was to stay in Weston Saturday night and head out Sunday morning for Lake City, Ouray, Silverton and beyond. Robert would then peel off and head back towards Houston some time on Sunday afternoon.

I had lots of plans on this trip. The adventure starts when the plans go out the window. :deal

Here's the Buell with the brand new driving lights

[​IMG]

So... off we went. Me on the Buell with a fuel range of around 160-180 and Robert with the bottomless tank. After stopping at a few Chevrons on our way up 287 towards CO we stopped for a quick bite at a local Sonic.

[​IMG]

About 160 miles later we stopped at another Chevron for gas. It was damn hot at this point. I was guzzling water from my camelback and need to pee something fierce.

I was finishing up washing my hands and running some water through my hair when two boy scouts came sprinting into the bathroom. They were jockeying for position for the stall shoving each other with elbows and shoulders as they went. The smaller one got into the stall. The bigger one started to walk to the urinal when he shouts at the other kid... "what you doin in there? you just pee'n? cause I gotta CRAAAAP". At this point they switched sides of the restroom and traded a few elbows on their way past each other.

It was just a funny little exchange between a few kids, but it transported me back to my time as a scout and some great memories. It made my day. That and the way the kid said "CRAAAP" had me laughing for miles on down the road.

I walked outside to discover that the boy scouts had failed the first rule...
    "Be Prepared"

[​IMG]

Their trailer had a flat and they had to leave it behind. :lol3

Just to show my gratitude of how they brightened my day I lofted a huge wheelie past them on my way out of the Chevron. :evil
  17. Meathead

Meathead tin man

Oddometer:
    This is too much to read. Have you gotten to the part where the two limey wankers had to save your bacon?

:hide
  18. Pete™

Pete™ Published.

Oddometer:
    no.

:lol3
  19. soloyosh

soloyosh Dad and husband

Oddometer:
    :1drink
  20. Middleweightboxer

Middleweightboxer Middleweightboxer