::: A mini Long Way Down (Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by VietHorse, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Bucket1960

Bucket1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep it coming VietHorse :clap

& in the west, we call that blood sucking beast a 'leech' :eek1
  2. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Thanks Dave to again riding along :norton. Don't know if you can tell I used different cameras this trip :)
  3. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, thanks. Yes, they are. I could not feel anything, until I touch the body. :deal
  4. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was riding into Bonanza race track some years ago, guided by TonyBKK

The road near the track looks like the same, still the feeling when you are entering a normal crop field.
    I just blindly followed my GPS. It led me into a semi-offroad trail:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, from here, no more asphalt, all dirt. Honestly, I did not want to spoil my day with a drop off on this trail, so I so concentrated on the road, so no more pix there:

[​IMG]

I had no idea if I could enter the track or not, turning the bike back would be a big problem as there was only a single narrow trail, with soft soil at two sides, no way I can make a u-turn :evil

Lucky me, after 20mins I reached this point:

[​IMG]

I just pushed the gate, no lock :D

[​IMG]

Surprise!! I can enter the track by its back road! LOL....

[​IMG]

Alright, I am in...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Entered the track office, met some staff working there. They also very surprised that I can enter the track thru that way :rofl.

[​IMG]

After a chit-chat, I told them that I 'd like to make a round on the track/
    A senior staff there told me the price for me for one round is 1,000Baht (~ 30 USD). He told me to meet the office admin there, it was a girl. She can speak English well.

After knowing that I am riding all the way from Vietnam there, they agreed for me a free round.
    :clap.

[​IMG]

After hearing the office admin allowed me to ride, the guy was happy to ask me give him my camera so he can take pix of me while on track.

[​IMG]

Full loaded ADV bike is about to race. Hehe...

[​IMG]

On the track:

[​IMG]

No one can beats me that race!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    that had to have been fun! :clap
  7. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Really fun. Especially the time seeing people's face when realized I entering the track from nowhere :rofl
  8. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk :clap
  9. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I did not try to be a naughty guy, as I stopped right after done just one round.
    Actually I have started at the middle of the straight line, and I also stopped at the same point - it means that I did not do the whole straight light with full speed which I can.

The man then waved me to the office building to show me something. He asked me to wait over there:

[​IMG]

Okay!

[​IMG]

Oh....

[​IMG]

He "borrowed" a key from office then show me a garage here:

[​IMG]

Anyone may see your previous plate there?!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He told me that the red HD is with sort of sensor, meant I can't touch it as it would alarm to the owner :deal.

[​IMG]

Thankful for his great show with friendly people:

[​IMG]

And they even invited me for the lunch:

[​IMG]
  10. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I already had a good breakfast, then I thank to the guys and just enjoy some cold drinks:

[​IMG]

And walked to see around:

[​IMG]

Time to say good bye to the nice people and the race track:

[​IMG]

Bangkok, here I come:

[​IMG]

Raining and sunny repeated each after the other - I dislike such kind of weather.
    I also noticed that I need to change my rear brake pads. I had no idea why I did not realize that while checking the bike for the trip. Alright, do it in BKK.

Heavy rain approx 100km from BKK made me stopped:

[​IMG]

Met a couple on a Versys 650:

[​IMG]

Well, lucky me to meet them. I then simply followed them to get into BKK without any issue, while the traffic started to be jammed.

I let the GPS guided me to BMW Barcelona in BKK, but then I reached to another place. And saw a serious road rage:

[​IMG]

Finally I had to ask a motorcycle-taxi to ride in front of me, then I follow to BMW.
    Alright, this is the placed I wanted to come:

[​IMG]
  11. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I was so happy that I can reach the BMW quite early, and having no issue with the traffic jam in BKK. But my happiness was not for long. I was informed that the brake pad was out of stock. Hell, the big and nice dealer with full equipped repair and maint shop at the back which having no brake pad, which is normal and regular consumption part.
    Okay, I asked the BMW guy there if he knows any shop in BKK with available pads for my GS.

During that time, I tried to wander around, looking the fancy stuff and enjoy air-con atmosphere:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He talking over the phone for a while, then he told me that there is a shop he knows, which has available brake pads. Good!
    He told me the address, we tried to put on my GPS but could not.
    Alrighty, here's the deal, please call the shop, and ask them to send the pads here to me via a motorcycle-taxi, I will pay both for the pads and the transporter, I will change the pads myself.
    He again on the phone with the shop, then turned back to me with a negative reply. The shop did not want to do so. I asked why, but no solid answer was given. :deal. WTF with those guys? They afraid that I won't pay? Or they want to change the pads themselves to add some more profit? The BMW guy did not want me to make his place dirty? I could not figure out why.
    Ok, what else I could do? Please get me a motorcycle-taxi and ask him to ride with me to the shop. That's final deal I could offer.

Now, look at my Orange GPS at front:

[​IMG]

My Orange GPS was moving so slow because of waiting for me. I could not move fast as a small scooter there as I have side cases and they block the gap btw two lanes:

[​IMG]

Got to the shop after almost 30mins circling around. I paid my Orange GPS 120Baht (~ 4USD):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WTH happened with my rear brake pads? Why in the world I missed it when checking the bike before the trip!?

[​IMG]

Too hungry, so I grabbed a dish at the next door shop:

[​IMG]

Me with the shop owner. He is ex-BMW Barcelona technical staff - no wonder they have sort of connection:

[​IMG]

I reached to my friend's house before dark. Dined with friend's family:

[​IMG]

Took an early sleep that night, be prepared for the long day ride tomorrow.
  12. Bucket1960

Bucket1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW VietHorse :huh you certainly got your moneys worth out of those brake pads :lol3
    That is one thing I love about Thailand. You are never far away from good food & you don't need to speak the local language very well either.
    I'm loving your report thanks VH :clap
  13. testrider

testrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Viethorse, enjoy your stories and pics. Thank you!
  14. Gorilla King

Gorilla King Dobar Skorz! Supporter

Oddometer:
    yup, most excellent photography.
  15. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahah. You right. I used them up until unable to utilize anymore... LOL...
    Also right about food and people there. Quite similar to what I have in Vietnam, I don't find anything strange, except riding on the left lane :rofl.

Thanks. But also sorry you guys for let you wait for so long. I am really stick to work after the trip.

Oh, that's too much, don't you think so? However, thank you very much for your very nice complimentary. :freaky :1drink
  16. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Day 4: From BKK to Songkhla

[​IMG]
  17. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got an agreement with a GS friend names Goran that we would meet up and ride together from BKK to the South.
    As you can see the above tracklog, my Day 4 is a very long ride, and all of them are straight slab.
    I departed quite early, about 5AM I started rolling already. Everything sounded very perfect, until a massive rain come.

[​IMG]

Well, BKK traffic is already nightmare, so with heavy rain, even in early morning, it totally worn me out. I totally lost my way even with the GPS.

Sometimes, the GPS led me to a market, where the road open daytime, and it become carpark during nightime; sometimes I was finding myself at the middle of a flooding road, lucky that I did not have to put my foot down, otherwise my shoes will be totally submersed... Oh my, really a hard start of the day.

See what I drawn on BKK land:

[​IMG]

Finally, met Goran at his hotel, when the rain was out, gotta took my tool tube out to fix his LED light mount.

[​IMG]

That's how I started the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain stopped not for long, it came back just after 20mins of riding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Goran with his brand new GSA LC, one of very few in first batch of GSA LC in Thailand, not yet has the number plate:

[​IMG]

Grrr.... why not out of BKK yet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the small flag stickers on his side cases, those are countries he has ridden in:

[​IMG]
  18. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    We tried to ride outside of BKK then having breakfast. But the rain was heavier and heavier, we had to stop at a small gas station. This place even did not have seats for us:

[​IMG]

Our breakfast, just like that:

[​IMG]

The rain seemed doesn't want to stop. I started worrying about the route which I have set for today.

[​IMG]

Sometimes, Goran update with me that his wife in Phuket reported about heavy rain there. Made me more worrying.
    I called my friend in Songkhla, he said that it's very long way there, and warned me about the traffic with the wet road :(((((

Believe or not, we just sit there to chit chat, then resumed rolling around 10AM. :deal :cry
  19. jyew777

jyew777 2 Wheels Only

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap

Great RR Viethorse. I know i'm jumping ahead but did you actually cross into Singapore? Because from your GPS map it shows you ended up at Marina Bay Sands hotel.
    Next time you are in Singapore, please PM me. I'll be happy to buy you a meal.

Jimmy
  20. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you have the same feeling as me - I have no issue if it rains along the way, I just need to stop for some minutes donning my rain suit, then rolling again. But if it is raining, I don't want to start my ride, or like this time, we sit there for too long, then did not want to start riding like this.

However, let's back to the road, there is a thousand km ahead.
    We reached the road #41 (AH2) not long after that. Rain was still. I fell more and more confident as the road was quite good, not much traffic. Goran is a really fast rider. Sometimes I thought I already pushed myself to the limit, but with Goran at front, so I can feel myself not much worry.

Down to the South, better road, lesser traffic, and sometimes the rain stopped. We speeded up every time we found the dry road. The ventz, which my friend sent me as a gift was really good. Any time rain stopped, It helped me to dry the jacket very well.

It was challenge day, for anyone. Long distance, 1000km plus, in which more than 50km in the messy city traffic, late departure, rain almost every 20mins,

Look at the tracklog, the leg-3 of day 4 is 974km and moving time was 9h10'. That's too much fast for me.

[​IMG]

This is max speed I could capture by my camera - one hand riding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the leg-3, we just stopped for rest and gas top up total two times only.
    This is a long one, having lunch at Khaopho Res stop - Prachuap - approx 400km from BKK:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's my poor lunch:

[​IMG]

Got this water bottle as discount from the gas station:

[​IMG]

Okay, time to hit the road:

[​IMG]

Near Surathani, we broke up, I kept riding South to Hat Yai, and Goran turned right to Phuket.

And the rain never left me...

4PM, somewhere on the road, in the rain:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]