::: A mini Long Way Down (Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Malaysia)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by VietHorse, Oct 6, 2014.

1. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Recalculating... recalculating.... HCMC-Vietnam :)
    Southern Thailand welcomed me by nothing but rain.

[​IMG]

It was darker and darker, and the rain seemed not want to stop. Mor South, less traffic.

Until the time I left the main highway and turned to Songkhla then it dry.

Stopped to make a call to my friend and inform him that I am about 10km away from him. It's around 07:00PM:

[​IMG]

He has booked the room for me, at the same place as his apartment.
    Then we went to a dinner. Two nights no beer. :lol3

[​IMG]

Really great food, awesome dinner with and old friend is really a reward for a long and wet riding day:

[​IMG]
  2. IndiBiker

IndiBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR. Happy to see parts of Cambodia - was there in March this year.

Keep on riding!!
  3. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Will ride and post pix :rofl
  4. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back into the room after dinner, I messed the things up with all of wet stuff. It's good that the room with the balcony then I can hang all the clothes and shoes there, just beside the air-con heater :lol3.
    Really good night I had there. Not too much aggressive for an early departure as that day I plan to ride to Kuala Lumpur and it just around 6xx km and mostly good speed highway.

What a good start for the day - I really hungry for the sunny morning like that:

[​IMG]

Messy room I had that day :)

[​IMG]

Sorry for this nasty pix - but this truly describe how I get the thing dried :lol3

[​IMG]

That's it for the trip up to end of day 4:

[​IMG]
  5. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    LWD - Day 5: Songkhla Thailand - Kuala Lumpur Malaysia.

[​IMG]

I still had time to make a small circle around Songkhla to see the place.

A nice corner at the seaside, should be a very familiar to anyone visiting this place:

[​IMG]

I don't know how long this guys has been reading that book:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A small quiet town:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it's only motorcycle I saw since the day 4:

[​IMG]

Stopped for breakfast when I was about 15km away from the border:

[​IMG]
  6. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sadao Custom - It is for big truck and lorry, but all vehicles must make a turn into that then back to the main road.

[​IMG]

Looked like it was not a good timing to cross the border!?

[​IMG]

I think all the container trucks lined up for couple kilometers:

[​IMG]

Surprised me that I could ride all the way thru all the checkpoints of Thailand without anyone asking.
    Suddenly I saw the Malaysia signboard with securities then I realized that I had not do anything with my passport or bike at the Thailand side. WTH happened with the border checkpoint in Thai?

Okay, gotta make myself to be nice and clean in any terms, I turned my bike back and find the place to get me and my bike officially OUT of Thailand:

[​IMG]

Remind to all the bikers who wanna ride thru Thailand - you must return your Importation form at the Exit custom, otherwise you will be fined up to 1,000Bht or not allowed to get the bike back in - as your bike is still recorded that INSIDE Thailand.

Now it's good to cross to Malaysia:

[​IMG]

Malaysia looked like not so friendly with Motorcycle, as they had a dedicated lane for Motorcycle. And that lane is super narrow. I had to very carefully ride my bike in - I think I had around 10cm gap at both side from my side case. Have no idea what will happen with bigger bikes like GoldWing. I also be informed that the same thing at any toll station.

Had no time to take pix that time.

There was no signboard saying where to park my bike, just simply put there. However, I need to put an eye on that as people said many thing about bike thief around the place.

[​IMG]

Alright, I have entered Malaysia. The border gate is now behind my bike.
    What I need to do now is register for my bike at so called JPJ Office.

[​IMG]
  7. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    MALAYSIA, yes, I am in:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Done with my passport at the border checkpoint, I gotta go outside and made an U-turn to do the stuff for my bike:

[​IMG]

Here's insurance counter - it's the MUST for the bike:

[​IMG]

JPJ Office - Transport department, who approved your bike to be legally run in Malaysia. The duration of stay is exactly the same as duration of Insurance:

[​IMG]

Nice and cold office. Did not want to get out of here :))

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am not sure if they can know where is chassis and engine number. However they checked my bike very carefully :)

[​IMG]

Okay, all the paperwork done - time to hit the road:

[​IMG]
  8. Bucket1960

Bucket1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent pics VH, but why so quick through Thailand ???:cry
  9. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    As I mentioned earlier, I don't have much time for the trip, and I could not take long leave for the whole round trip, so I have to divide into two legs. Even with such arrangement, I have to wrap each leg within one week only.
    Second reason as I found not much interesting me riding down from BKK to the South of Thailand. All straight highway, for a bout 1000km. That's why I tried to finish that straight segment asap within a day :cry
    I will go on other road in my 2nd leg.
  10. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Smooth entry to Malaysia, time for a selfie :rofl:

[​IMG]

Where to? KL? Go straight on!

[​IMG]

I can't recall how many times I traveled to Kuala Lumpur, but this time is super special.

[​IMG]

Go get some gas soon after the border (much cheaper than the gas in Vietnam or Thailand :lol3 ):

[​IMG]

Too happy that the gas station accepted Credit card:

[​IMG]

Malaysia highway limited at 110kph, but actually I saw none followed that. All of them speeding like hell.
    Kept cruising at max 110kph for around 10km, then I saw a R1 with a non-AGATT (casual wear and a 3/4 helmet) joined the highway from a rest stop, he saw my number plate then turned his head to me with a thumb up, and within a second, he 's gone with the wind in front of my eyes.
    Damn! Why in the world I have to cruise that slow? How much fine could be? Who cares! Then I decided to speed up. Man, the speeding feeling is always great :lol3 :lol3 :lol3

Thought I have done 2xxkph for some parts :eek1. But then I found the hi-speed on Malaysia highway is not comfortable as the AH2 in Thailand. Reasons being the highway there are clear from houses, trees, mountains, so the wind very strong. While in Thailand, the AH2 full of trees at both side of the road. And more, cars in Malay are damn fast! And I saw them very rarely on the turn signal when switching lanes. :deal

I have a spot to visit, it's Penang Bridge. It's 13.5km bridge. So called 1st Penang Bridge. There is a longer one, called 2nd Penang Bridge, 24km, just opened early 2014 which I did not know.

Toll station before getting on the bridge:

[​IMG]

It's good that no toll fee for motorcycle in Malaysia, but all motorcycle must follow a dedicated lane which is very narrow and looks like a back road to behind the office. You may see this one and this is very large one already. Many others just a bit larger than my bike and really scares me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's typical toll station:

[​IMG]

On the bridge:

[​IMG]
  11. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the bridge:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gotta turn out right after end of the bridge as I saw terrible traffic there on the island. I did not want to be stuck there that night:

[​IMG]

Part of George Town on Penang island:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    It started raining after visiting Penang bridge.
    It's really scare riding on Malaysia highway in the rain. All cars there still fast like hell. Not long time since the rain started, I already saw several accidents:

[​IMG]

It's good that two wheelers can utilize emergency lane on the left:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's totally clear from there.

[​IMG]

Clear road is for me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rain and rain again...:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun trip. You guys must have some serious self restraint to be able to ride 1200 GS's on the jungle roads. We were getting into trouble in the twisties with 250 XR's.
  14. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting . . . . .:clap

Quite a wet trip though . . . . . :eek1:huh:1drink

:D
  15. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice journey and nice photos!
  16. nhan6929

nhan6929 n00b

Oddometer:
    very nice RR !! Enjoy and ride safe !!
  17. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The thing is I use the 12GS for the whole trip, with many types of roads and distances :) . Can't have multiple choices of bike for a single trip. :)

Thanks. It really was. If I am not mistaken, there is only first day without rain. :evil

Thank you Sirs for riding along :freaky
  18. VietHorse

VietHorse Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reached Ipoh, I stopped to wait a local biker forum inmate to come. He advised me how to enter Malaysia from Thailand with very useful information:

[​IMG]

He came with his Africa Twin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He brought me around town and came to his house to say hello to his family. He then led me to invite me an awesome meal of the day:

[​IMG]

Well, you sure know what the bikers talk about when they meet, I don't need to mention here, all about motorcycle and motorcycling :).
    It's good that heavy rain was passing by when we are in the restaurant. It was long long rain...

Almost late afternoon, the rain seemed much lighter, I gotta hit the road, otherwise I could not make it to KL that night:

[​IMG]

Rain all the way to KL central. Wet road, darkness, and driving style of Malaysian made me really scare. Less than 200km from Ipoh to KL, I saw at least 3 car accidents.

[​IMG]

Once I was almost pee in my pants while group of 4-5 sport cars passed by me in some inches and were racing on the wet highway. Stood on my food pegs, I saw them racing just like what happened in Fast and Furious series. :deal

Finally, I survived to Kuala Lumpur, after almost two hours being lost in KL traffic:

[​IMG]

So far so good for a mini - Long Way Down trip :D

[​IMG]
  19. rgiroux

rgiroux Invisible Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap enjoying this one!
  20. Bucket1960

Bucket1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratulations VietHorse :clap

You finally posted a picture with no rain in it & you were not even on the bike :lol3