A Month In The PHILIPPINES!!

Discussion in 'Asia' started by iSAW, Sep 14, 2010.

1. iSAW

iSAW Whats this lever do?

Oddometer:
    Hi Everyone!

I'm an Aussie! A Canadian buddy of mine is coming with me for a trip for about 3.5 weeks. We plan to Hire an xr200 each from Nice-Bike in Angeles and ride around North Luzon for about 7-8 days.

Looking for some must see sights, and hopefully a few locals who can show us what life is really like over there. we aim to get off the beating track a little bit and party hard :freaky with who ever we meet.

After Luzon we are flying into CEBU and have about 10 days to get up to Boracay. We are unsure how to do this currently, but are thinking a Bike again would be the way to go (is there a one way rental or something similar that anyone recommends?)

Also any must see sights? we plan to do a few dives and trek around a little bit, and ideally we'd love to hire a bike again as we'll be carrying all our gear.

Any advice would be great! And will be rewarded with good fortune and beer! :clap
  2. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    iSAW, First off I would say to get the Lonely Planet Philippines travel book.

There are a couple of Ride Reports here that tell about rides in Northern Luzon, that are good.

The towns of Sagada, Vigan, Bontoc, Banaue, are all places that most want to visit, and the riding is good in those areas. Baguio is a city like no other in the Philippines.

Plan on being off the roads after dark. Gas stops are close as a rule so that should not be a problem with a little planning. Lodging is easy to find in most areas. In the mountains it will be a little cooler, and warm in the lower areas. Before November you will probably see some rain each day.

Will you be using paper maps or a GPS?

What is your schedule? Feel free to contact me if you like.

Have you been to the Philippines before?

Take Care, Paul...
  3. iSAW

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul,

Got LP. read it. Love it. It'll be the bible. as for maps, dont have a GPS yet, my canadian buddy might be getting one, but I can read a map and have a decent sense of direction.

I have not been to the Phillies before, but have done stints in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Malaysia so asia isn't that much of a shock anymore.

We dont want to ride past dusk, have read the stories about that and would rather be in a pub with the locals anyway ;)

We will be arriving in clark late oct (25th/26th) and plan to do a loop out to the coast, up half way, across into the mountains then back
    like this.. map

gotta return the bikes on about 5th or earlier.
  4. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    I stay at America Hotel in Angeles , pool, rooms cost 1,200 p and dearer if u want better, get jeepney from airport to terminal and u can walk or tricycle to Hotel , All the bars r just along street. I stay at MBs Garden Inn on Mactan Island at Cebu 10 - 15 mins from airport , clubrooms for Outsiders MC Club , rooms 800 - 1,000p . Hire bikes, pool . A lot of people are being put off Boracay now , to many tourists and all the problems that go with them. Have a look in my smuggy pics and report in Phillipines thread , I had 7 weeks on Bantayan. And we want pics as well in yr report. Another place that is good is Bohol I stay at Hope Homes on Punglao 750p including bike 4 basic room or u can have XR200 for extra 200p Cheers Toddy
  5. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    iSAW, If you have not already, there are pictures and reports on Philippines Adventures Riders at this Thread.

Late October is the start of the "Dry Season" so your chances of good weather is better. Plus the Sierra Madre Mountains on the East side of Luzon tend to shield Northern Luzon from some of the wet.

I have ridden up the West coast to just past Tagudin and crossed of thru Cervantes to Bontoc, etc. The XR 200 is a very good bike for your type of trip. I ride one. The seat can be a pain, so if you have a sheep skin, it might be something you want to bring.

You will fall in love with the Philippines, and San Miguel.

Take Care, Paul...
  6. iSAW

Oddometer:
    Thanks JP. I've had a look through that thread, too much info to take in! haha

I would like to know if we can get a one way hire from say cebu or negros to panay somewhere.

We are undecided on what to do here but will have about 8-9 days and we figure we can cover some ground. hmmm looking at those pics Santa Fe Bantayan might be a winner!
  7. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I used to live up in Bauang, La Union, but now live in Manila. I have an
    XR 200. I was looking at the pictures of Bantayan Island and thinking about maybe taking a ride down there, it does look very good. Ride down, cross over to Samar, over to Leyte, Cebu, and across to Santa Fe. Taking a bike between island can be a problem, but I understand that one can get a clearance from the Land Transportation Office to do it.

You said that your friend would be coming from Canada, where is he from in Canada, I am from Seattle. I have lived in the Philippines since 2003.

The planning is always a fun part of any trip, so enjoy.

Take Care, Paul...
  8. iSAW

Oddometer:
    Hey JP,

My buddy is from Edmonton, so not too far away. I think we are planing on passing through La Union, and if its in the afternoon maybe staying for a night too.

Is there anywhere to hire motorbike gear in Manila or Angeles? I'm taking over a jacket and pants but unsure about boots and a helmet. also Panniers or some way to strap my (decent sized) backpack to the bike.

Is there any other Roro's that leave Bantayan? We'd want to goto Panay
  9. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    You are going to love it here. This place is an adventure rider paradise. Endless destinations, varied terrian, good inexpensive lodging, good food, friendly locals......
    The list goes on and on. I figure a man could spend a lifetime motoring around these fair islands and never grow tired of it.

Riceman
  10. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Riceman, I agree with everything you are saying and I will add one more that is very improtant to many. One can most often get by speaking English, which is important for us who are language handicaped.
  11. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:

Good point JP, I've been doing just that for about 15 years. :rofl Also, don't forget the year round summer-like weather making riding possible all-year long.

Riceman
  12. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't sell many Heated Grip units here, if that is what you mean.

Even in the rainy season, it is nice as it will usually only be rainy for a short time, and nice the rest of the day. The key word here is usually.

I have 10 pairs of shorts, 4 pairs of long pants, 2 of them are riding pants.

I know my friends in Seattle are starting to get the "winter is coming blues" but not here, it will be summer all of the time.

If I was younger, I would think about a motorcycle tour business here in the Philippines. So much to see and do, so many great places to ride to.

But, hell, if I was younger, if only I was younger. Isn't that what all old men say?

My son sent me a joke today. "How do you know when your girlfriend is getting fat? When your wife's clothes start to fit her."
  13. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Paul,

Believe it or not my bike came with heated grips. I haven't used them much except for a couple of times way up in the mountains during December. I have some real nice kevlar mesh riding pants and jacket. The mesh is nice because it has maximum air flow to keep you as cool as possible in this heat. It came with rain liners that I only use if it is going to be an all day rain type scenario. If it is just afternoon rain showers I just ride right through and dry off on the other side. I wear a quick dry nylon shirt and shorts under the mesh pants and jacket. My boots are pretty much water proof unless I'm standing in a river.

Riceman
  14. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Would be pretty hard to get one way hires , 8-9 days would be good for a ride around Cebu and also Bantayan Island . Malapascua Island is beautiful but u would have to leave yr bikes at Maya . Great diving . You will find you wont have enough time and will return there a lot of times , the locals are friendly , speak english, every thing is cheap , Im returning there for the 3rd time in March 2011 for 6 weeks . There is a boat that goes between Bantayan and Negros , not sure if it is a Roro, most of the other Roros and Ferries go from Cebu City. PM or email me if u nedd any help. BTW I went to Santa Fe for a week and stayed 7 weeks . Cheers Toddy
  15. DanTheMan07

DanTheMan07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. iSAW

Oddometer:
    under 2 weeks till we head off! I cant wait!!! :D
  17. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, come on up for you and down for your buddy. You guys should have a great time. Keep us up dated on your travels, and let us know if you want or need anything.

ENJOY....
  18. iSAW

Oddometer:
    Cheers JP!

If your up for a squirt through the north of Luzon let me know. could meet up for a few days somewhere
  19. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please keep in touch, we can play it by ear, regarding our schedules.

Just a note, you will want some warm gear for riding in the mountains.

Take Care, Paul...
  20. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Let me re-state what I mean by warm gear for the mountains. I don't mean warm gear by Edmonton standards. But, higher up it could be in the 60's F, and wet with the wind of riding, that type of cold.

As I think has been stated here, lodging will be available without too much trouble in any town. Food, bottled water and fuel the same.