A Month In The PHILIPPINES!!

Discussion in 'Asia' started by iSAW, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Hercules

Hercules "Proudly Philippine Made"

Oddometer:
  2. iSAW

iSAW Whats this lever do?

Oddometer:
    Thanks herc! We made it here safe and sound after the run up the mountain to bagiuo. Tony is looking after us pretty well. The beer is cold the food is great and the entertainment is awesome!

Tonys son has offered to ride us down the coast so we will end up doing the Luzon loop coast first, which is apparently the way to rode

After today's rainstorm I'm glad I packed the full kit, but of course the waterproof pants liners are at home :/

anyway the bar awaits! I'll be in touch in a few days herc! Salamat!
  3. Hercules

Oddometer:

That's great! Am glad you 1st ride was fun and safe.
    Always be prepared. Good move on the full kit.

Keep in touch and update me too.

Cheers!!!:D
  4. Hercules

Oddometer:
    2:30pm todaya Thursday, Oct 28.

The two riders arrived at San Fernando, La Union safely. Will stay there for a couple of days to watch the surf competition.

I told them to check out the night life at Poro Point. It will be an exciting night once again. :evil
  5. iSAW

Oddometer:
    an exciting night it was indeed... This place is hard not to have fun in:evil

We have a few great shots of the trip so far and will try to upload them asap.
    We are looking forward to seeing some cock fighting tomorrow afternoon and then hopefully catching up with herc if he can make his way up here
  6. DanTheMan07

DanTheMan07 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pics. Pics. Pics!!!!!!!!

7. iSAW

Oddometer:
    they will come! dont have access to a proper PC, just wifi on the ipod for the time being.

Anyway we'll be exploring La Union today then making our way north.
    Had another HUGE night at San Juan for the annual surf comp, :freaky
    Considering I'm in a complete stranagers house/bed I assume it was a good night:clap
  8. Hercules

Oddometer:
    Update on our ADVrider touring the Phils:

Oct 30, 2010, Saturday

- Last night at San Juan, La Union. Vigan tomorrow

November 1, 2010, Monday (2:34pm)

- Hey, we are at Laoag heading North but wind is blowing. Wanted to make it to Pagudpud for the night. Should we continue?

November 2, 2010, Teusday (3:19pm)

- We made it. Winds and rains are not for us. Monsoon season suck! Tugegarao City tomorrow. Then Sagada.

November 3, 2010, Wednesday (2:10pm)

- We are now at the suspension bridge at Magapit, Cagayan province

(2:25pm)
    - Met a guy here who we rode with. Ended up with a dead starter. Thought it was the battery.

Ride on guys! See you in Sagada on Saturday.
  9. Hercules

Oddometer:
    When in Sagada. These are the places to stay.....

Taken from this site: http://www.travel-philippines.com/locations/central-luzon/4-sagada.htm

Sagada Home Stay - It is difficult for most other guest houses in Sagada to match this combination of friendliness, price, newness, cleanliness, location and fantastic views. Upstairs are 6 bedrooms, most with fantastic views over the Sagada town center. One bedroom has a private bathroom (P700 for the room) and the five other bedrooms share 4 bathrooms between them. (P250 per person). All bathrooms have hot showers. Downstairs there is the large dining room adjacent to a well equipped modern kitchen for the use of the guests. Everything you would need to create a banquette is there if you like - gas stove, toaster oven, microwave, pots, fry pans etc. A small donation is required to cover the cost of gas and you will of course need to pay for any consumables that you have used.
    A separate outside cottage is available for P1,500 per night. It has two separate bedrooms, a bathroom and kitchen and accommodates up to 4 people. I have not seen inside yet because it has been occupied each time I visited.
    Sagada Home Stay is located about 200 meters from the bus stop in the center of town. To get there, walk up the hill past the Log Cabin and take the lane on your left at the right hand bend in the road. You can't miss it. If you have your own car, just continue along the road and it is only about 50 meters past the first left hand bend. See Sagada Homestay pictures 17 to 22
    Unlimited Wi-Fi is available at P40 for a day and there is a computer for emails and surfing at P40 per hour. Sagada Home Stay has made it to the new 2009 Lonely Planet Guide so it is quite popular. Bookings require a 50% non refundable deposit, except during Christmas and holy week holidays where you need to pay in full. (payment by bank transfer)
    Contact Karen - sagadahomestay@yahoo.com +63 919 702 8380 +63 918 717 3524 +63 919 498 2181

Canaway Resthouse - This is a very cheap and good value guest house. The cost is P200 per person for rooms with private bathroom and hot showers. Children under ten years old are usually free making this a good choice accommodation for large family groups. There are 5 bedrooms, all with private bathroom. The rooms are new, clean and look very nice. There are three bedrooms on the second floor that join onto a small common room. This room has a couch and TV. Two of the rooms have a double bed and the larger room has 2 double beds. There are two rooms on the third floor with private balcony and great views. Outside on the 3rd floor there is a sink and area that can be used for cooking if you want to cook your own food upstairs. It is not set up in a way such that you can just cook anytime you like, but cooking equipment can be supplied. There is a fully equipped kitchen downstairs that can be used by the guests anytime but you will need to pay a small amount for the use of the gas.
    Canaway Resthouse is right next to George Guest House and across the road from The Residential Lodge, about 400 meters down the hill from the center of town. Note that the price is P250 per head for the week of Christmas and Easter. Call +63 918 291 5063 (0918 291 5063) See Canaway Resthouse pictures 23 to 26.

Log Cabin Guest Room - The room above the Log Cabin Restaurant has always been my first choice in accommodation, but there is only one room. It is one of the most comfortable rooms in town. It has with its own bathroom (very nice), cozy decor, its own private balcony and a partial view down the valley. This would be a lovely place for two people and the cost is P800 per night. Booking is usually required. The kitchen downstairs makes great coffee, but meals must be ordered ahead. Evening meals can be served in your room or on the balcony. For reservations, call Dave Gulian 0920 520 0463.

The Residential Lodge - It is opposite Canaway and next to Travellers Inn. It looks like an old place that has had a major face lift, and it does look fairly new inside. There are14 rooms over three floors. The best room, which is on the second floor, has a private bathroom and bath tub and is P250 per person, even for one person. All rooms with private bathrooms are P250 per person and those with share bathrooms are P200 per person. All bathrooms have hot showers. The common areas are large and there is an open fire place on the second floor. There are kitchens for the use of the guest on the lower ground and ground floors. The lower ground floor is still mostly above ground level as the building is on the side of a hill. See pictures 27 to 30
    Contact Mary Daoas +63 919 672 8744 eldone21@hotmail.com standaoas@yahoo.com .

George Guest House - It is next to Canaway and you can’t miss it – it is the most colorful and garish building in town. The interiors are similarly decorated, but the building is new, so all is clean and fresh. All bedrooms have private bathrooms. My choice would be one of the two rooms at the top. There is one room with many beds and costs P200 per person for 6 persons. One double room has a TV and is P600 for the room. The other double rooms are P300 for one person and P500 for two. These have hot showers. The views are lovely. See pictures 31 to 33
    For reservations call Dora – 0918 548 0406 or 0920 607 0994 - Email george.guesthouse@yahoo.com

Travellers Inn - A low cost guest house if prissy decor is not your thing. There is no newness or much luxury here, but sometimes that can be nice. There are 14 rooms on two floors of which 2 have private bathrooms. There is a kitchen on the second floor for the use of the guests. All rooms with private bathrooms are P250 per person and those with share bathrooms are P200 per person. The rooms with share bathrooms are P175 if you stay more than 3 days and P150 if you stay a week or more. Lope (pronounced Lopi) is an interesting character and a very good artist/potter. Downstairs Lope also has a souvenir shop where he sells his pottery. There is a well stocked general store down there also. Travellers Inn is down the road from the Municipal Hall road and just past the Yoghurt House Restaurant on your left. It is also next to The Residential Lodge. For Inn reservations call Lope Bosaing - +63 920 799 2960 or email aprilmay_25@yahoo.com or lopebosaing@yahoo.com.ph .

Saint Joseph Rest House - With 27 rooms and cottages, this is the largest guest house in Sagada. It is directly behind the bus stop in the center of town so not far to walk with your bags. Owned by the Episcopalian church, these buildings were once part of a seminary and the guest house is still managed by officers of the church. The rooms and cottages are set in beautiful gardens which is one of its major draw cards. A wide variety of room types and rates are on offer, from dormitory accommodation to private cottages. Some of the rooms are good value and others are not, so check out lots of rooms before deciding on one. The rates are per room and not per person. The 2 person rooms with share bathroom, without hot water, starts at P500. Discounts of about 20% are available for during the months of June through to October.
    Note that during the months from January to May end, they often suffer from water shortages. You may have paid for a room with hot water, only to find that there is no water at all for your whole stay. I have seen a few guests get irate, especially when they still have to pay for the amenities that they did not get. The very large Cafe Saint Joe is also on the grounds.
    To get to Saint Joseph Rest House, take the pathway from the main road just right of the bus stop,and head towards the white building at the top. If you are in a car, take the right fork in the road past Ganduyan and enter St Joseph's from the back car park, where your car can be left securely overnight. To see a detailed copy of their room rates, click here. Contact: Ms. Julia Abad 0928 951 7156

Mapiya-aw Pension - This is a good choice if I was looking for peace and quiet.The garden is lovely. There is that feel about the place though that they don't get many guests. Mapiya-aw Pension is about 250 meters off the main road. You would have passed the sign on the way into town - the sign says it is only 50 meters to the guest house which is not true. The Pension was purpose built, all unpainted wood, cozy and there are 16 rooms. In winter you can use either or both of two fireplaces on request. The upstairs fireplace would be gorgeous with friends during the winter months. Balconies are abundant, which is always nice. Rooms are P250 per person (cold shower). There are two double rooms upstairs with adjoining bath rooms which have hot water. These rooms are P1,250 each. Meals can be prepared for you if you order ahead and the kitchen is available for your own meal preparations for a reasonable fee. The walk into the center of town takes about 15 minutes. For reservations call 0921 390.0560.

Ganduyan Cafe and Inn - They have two buildings about 200 meters apart. Both go by the same name. The second building is still under construction but the completed floor was opened in December 2009.
    The old building is in the center of town and part of the building incorporating the Ganduyan Museum and Ganduyan Souvenirs. This is one of the very earliest guest houses in Sagada and still popular at a cost of P200 per night with share bathroom. The rooms with private bathroom and hot shower are P600 and accommodates 2 people - maybe a little expensive. Downstairs is a small cafe where you can have a good breakfast of bacon, eggs and brewed coffee.
    The accommodation in the new building (Ganduyan 2) is very good value for couples. There are currently 7 rooms, all with private, modern bathrooms. Some have balconies with great views over the town so check out all the rooms before you choose. The decor is rather Spartan (Sagadan), and a little bit of interior design would make some of these rooms near the best value in town. All rooms are P600. Contact Marina 09212738097

Sagada Guest House - It is right in the center of town just behind the new ghastly municipal building under construction. Normal rates are p150 single, p300 double, share bath. P600 for 3 beds, bathroom with hot water. Rooms go up in elevation and price to p800, p1000 and p1200, with kitchen, bathroom with hot water and one with cable TV. These rooms can accommodate 3, 4 or 5 persons. Rooms at the back can be noisy in the mornings with roosters, dogs and pigs giving it their best. There is a rooftop available for viewing the vistas. To see a picture of their room rates, click here. For reservations, speak to Manang Veron, 0919 300 2763.

The Green House - This is an old establishment, inexpensive, no class, and popular with young backpackers. There are 6 very basic bedrooms with 3 share bathrooms. The two single rooms are P200 each. The two double bed rooms are P300 each and the 2 rooms with 2 double beds are P400 each. Guests can cook there own food. The green house is located on the right, about 50 meters down the hill past the Municipal Hall, behind the Persimoon Cafe (a popular drinking place). Phone 09184036571.

Grandma's Yellow House Inn and Cafe - They have 4 bedrooms with share bathroom and one self contained cottage with two bedrooms. The rate is P250 per head. Room 1 on the top floor seems like the best value and has good views out of its two windows. The smaller bedrooms are not as nice. The top floor bedrooms have an adjoining small lounge which could be very nice if your group upstairs are the only guests. The cottage had guests at the time I was there but it does not look too good from the outside, especially with its ghastly colored walls. The outside area where you can sit around the fire looks like something you would see in a squatter's camp. Grandma's Yellow House is a mixed bag so check it out for yourself. It is located right opposite the Yoghurt House. See Grandmas Yellow House pictures 36 to 39

Rock Inn - It is about a 40 minute walk out of town and people who stay there usually have their own car. The junction to Rock Inn is on the right before you get to Sagada, and then it is about a kilometer to the guest house from there. It is set in an orange orchard, so the fresh juice is a must. This facility, which is relatively new, can accommodate large groups and would be useful as a retreat or seminar venue. The dining room is very beautiful architecturally, but I can't speak for the food because I have not eaten there for a long time. The attic room can accommodate 18 people at P250 per head. The bunk rooms start at P450 per person making it very expensive in comparison to other Sagada accommodation.
    Their most popular rooms are the higher end rooms of which there are 6. The Four executive rooms have two queen sized beds and cost P1,800 a night. The two mini executive rooms are P1,500 a night. The whole ground floor accommodation, consisting of 3 bedrooms, is another choice,. The cost is P4,100 per night. As Rock Inn is a bit far out of town, you may miss out on the cultural experience of Sagada town if your stay is only a night or two. They also have a shuttle that can accommodate 8 people and a jeepney that can accommodate 20. Tel Bang Omengan +63 920 909 5899
  10. Hercules

Oddometer:
    November 3, 2010, Wednesday (4:17pm)

- Just made it to Tugegarao. Bike started OK, so we'll see if it last. Time for food!

- Staying at Hotel Candice. Cheap and Nasty. But right in town. We want to book a whitewater rafting here.
  11. Mountain Cruiser

Mountain Cruiser Banned

Oddometer:
    Herc,

Thanks for the updates and info. Will there be pics???

Riceman
  12. Hercules

Oddometer:

Yes, there will be pix when I meet up them on Saturday. I will take a lot pix there with them.

My plan on Saturday is it take off Manila at dawn. have brunch at Banaue and have cold beers at Sagada. :freaky

Kindly send me a text at 09209134580. Ty
  13. Hercules

Oddometer:
    November 4, 2010, Thursday (3:39pm)

- Hey we are trying to get to Sagada but are stuck at Tabuk, Kalinga province due to 5 landslides. Is there another way we can go?

Uh oh! :eek1 I received a text from my 2 ADVriders who are now stuck at Tabuk because of 5 landslides.[​IMG] Wrong route bro, specially when it's raining, they might end up sleeping by the road if the landslides are not cleared on time or cleared at all. I told them to find a hotel to check in for the night, and start again tom.

Goin to Sagada from Tugeg passing thru Tabuk in Kalinga Province is really nearer than the regular route, but these are moutainous regions of the Cordilleras. Not good on rainy season! So I told them to make their way to Enrile highway sa Isabela and head to Bagabag, Nueva Vizcaya then to Banaue, Ifugao. And wait for me there on Sat morning.
  14. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good job Herc. Your local knowledge is saving them. Now all you have to do is show them the proper way to eat balut, but only after serveral San Miguels.

Have a happy trip, and try to stay dry...

Paul...
  15. Hercules

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul. I try to help any rider who likes to ride the Phils the same way we Filipinos do it. Specially the Balut thingy, It's a fear factor event.

Been in contact with them and it seem they really want to do the Off Road route. THis time they plan to pass the following towns from Tabuk, Kalinga:

- Paracelis
    - Natonin
    - Talubin
    - Banaue, Ifugao

As per local Intell by my Natonin connections. All route is passable as of last night. Will check this morning and update them too.

When the reach Banue, maybe sleep there tonight and wait for me to arrive tom morning.
  16. Hercules

Oddometer:
    November 5, 2010, Friday (10:03am)

- We might go to Sagada from Tabuk. Tingalin is open.

(10:48am)
    - Tingalin is still closed. We hit another landslide. Might try Natonin then Bontoc. Is it open?

Here's my reply to them:
    A per my Natonin connection the route thru there is open. Please dropby my friend's store to say hi and take a breather .
  17. gsblue

gsblue i'm undertall...

Oddometer:

That's gonna be mighty muuudddddyyyyy. Hope they have knobbies on.:1drink
  18. Hercules

Oddometer:
    Yes it was muddy alright.

They arrived Bontoc after 6pm with fuel on reserve. Whew!
    I told them to check in Ridgebruk hotel and freshen up before getting a night's rest.

I will arrive tom with some riders from Manila. Will have a big night at Sagada tom.

Wanna join us?
  19. pinoyadvrider

pinoyadvrider Pinoy ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    :clap
  20. gsblue

gsblue i'm undertall...

Oddometer:
    Thanks Herc, but my neck wound still ain't completely healed yet (cyst removed). Enjoy tom night and say hi to Bang & family just in case you guys will stay at their place. :freaky Say hi to my WR450F too.... :cry