A New Chapter Begins!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Ladyem, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Ladyem

Ladyem Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Well, after months of contemplating I have finally decided to open a new chapter in my life. I am a 68 year old adventurous woman who has been living fulltime in a 5th wheel traveling the United States since 2006. I love traveling and have enjoyed the truck and 5th wheel immensely. But now it's time to see this beautiful country on my new ride! Many of you will recognize it, as it was formerly owned by Drone, and most recently Jason. It is a 1996 BMW R1100GS with an M72D sidecar made by DMC in Washington. The hack's previous name was Wimpa, but she is now known as Red!

With the help of my dear friend Rockitman4x4 we trailered the bike and sidecar home to Nevada this past week where it is currently being gone through with a fine tooth comb. The final drive work is complete so the back is done except for installing new brake pads. We are installing a leading link upgrade kit and are waiting for a new battery and ball joint rubber boot to arrive to finish the front. We will also service all of the oils and filters. Thank goodness I have wonderful friends to help with this new adventure, maintenance and training!

Have I mentioned that I have about 20 hours total on a bike? Never rode but always wanted to. I did take the Three Wheel Evergreen Driving Class and passed both the written and driving tests. The Ural they had at the class was considerably different than my BMW and not near as pretty! LOL So I have lots to learn & need plenty of practice before striking out on the 3 month ride/tent trip we have planned for this summer to Alaska. We hope to have the bike back together & in great running condition in the next two weeks. I am posting a few pics of the work we are doing for those that are interested and will share pics as we move forward.

I want to thank Drone for all of his help leading me to this wonderful hack. And a big thanks to Justin selling to me and for all of the 'extras'. I really appreciate it. And lastly, a BIG thanks to Rockitman4x4 for encouraging me to do this and for all of the many hours of work you are doing on my rig getting it ready for future adventure riding!!! 20190126_113121.jpg 20190126_113241_001.jpg P1030627.JPG P1030630.JPG
  2. Ladyem

Ladyem Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Resized_20190130_145510_1093.jpeg Resized_20190130_145448_6104.jpeg Attach0001002003004005006007.jpg Attach0001002003004005-1.jpg It's a work in progress! Final drive is done :)
  3. Ladyem

Ladyem Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    3.jpg Attach0001002003004.jpg Attach0001002003004005.jpg 20190130_145448.jpg Waiting for ball joint rubber and leading link upgrade :)
  4. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A GS in it's natural environment :lol3

Welcome :wave
  5. Tall Man

Tall Man Well...the game is afoot.

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Ladyem, and congratulations. :thumbup

We look forward to reading your ride and trip reports. At the least, keep the photos coming.
    Ladyem likes this.
  6. ungaas

ungaas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lucky lady. Wish you well.
    Ladyem likes this.
  7. Miggins1

Miggins1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    All the best Ladyem.
    Ladyem likes this.
  8. draperg1

draperg1 PapaBear Supporter

Oddometer:
    :superLooking good! Waiting for reports on the new adventure.
    Ladyem likes this.
  9. ChiliPepperGarage

ChiliPepperGarage Spork

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the world of hacks. You're going to have a blast. Like I like to say, "Once you go hack, you never go back"! :ricky

Alaska huh? Where are you planning to go? I've been wanting to do the Dalton but not sure if I will take my GS rig or drive my truck (and tow the GS).

What part of NV are you? I'm about an hour south east of Carson/Tahoe.
    Ladyem, Bonnie & Clyde and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  10. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Congrats very nice rig.

Also hailing from Nevada
    Ladyem likes this.
  11. RJ44

RJ44 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All the best with the new adventure. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Rob
    Ladyem likes this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    You guys might remember that I had WIMPA for sale last summer and sold it to a local guy - an avid motorcyclist but not a sidecar guy. (That deal was brokered by @szurszewski -- thanks again Josh!) Turned out the new owner preferred two wheels so when I heard that Ladyem was looking for a GS rig I thought that WIMPA might be a good fit and maybe the new owner might appreciate the opportunity to flip it. I was right!

I was paid a handsome brokerage fee - a meatball mozzarella sub with a draft Mac 'n Jacks from my favorite local Italian eatery Casa Mia. :dukegirl :drink

High hopes that "Red" and Ladyem will have a long and rewarding relationship.

And, of course . . . SUBSCRIBED!
  13. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait a minute - is that the going rate??? Did I get a sandwich? I don’t remember any sandwiches.... :fitz
  14. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard ! DRONE a helpful guy !
    Ladyem likes this.
  15. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the wackiest wing in the ADV asylum!
  16. norton(kel)

norton(kel) Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Forums not bad, some of the members:happay
    BMWBUD, Hi-De-Ho and Ladyem like this.
  17. Ladyem

Ladyem Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Lived in Vegas for 30 years. Ely is my current 'residence' although I don't own a home there. I have an F350 Ford pulling a 35 ft Newmar 5th wheel that I reside in full time. Home is where I park it tonight! So this is a new adventure for me! My friend rockitman4x4 & I will be traveling to Alaska. Pretty much all of it. We went up to Prudoe last year but by truck. He did take his KTM all the way in 2014 though. We won't have a rig with us this year. Just the hacks & tents. It's gonna be a blast!
  18. Ladyem

Ladyem Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    Indeed! A very helpful guy. And very nice too but shhhh, don't tell him I said so!! :-)
  19. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! I admire your spirit of adventure. :clap You will do well. A hacks different than anything else and it takes a while for the rig and rider to bond. The only way you get better as a hack rider is to ride. By the time you get back from Alaska you will be a very proficient hack ride.

Congrats to you, Drone, Josh and rockitman4x4. There are a lot of good folks here on this forum and you have already have the benefit of some of the best.

Looking forward to the "completed" pictures. :-)
    Ladyem and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  20. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad to see your just planning on bringing just the hacks and tents. Try to allow to take the Alaska State Ferry coming up or going back I'use it as my preferred way to get to the lower 48 Bellingham to Haines up the inside passage I believe it's 4-5 days
    szurszewski and Hi-De-Ho like this.